Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Au Seeker

Good Idea?

A quick access gun storage box, pro and cons, what do you think?

My first impression is I like it, Rf chip and or a biometric scan to open, would like to see a stronger way to secure the box such as bolting it down, but I didn't see that as an option.

It looks like a good product if you've got kids.

Kids pose some tough choices for gun owners. I just kept my guns locked up for many years while I was raising a family. I figured I could get to a gun fast enough.

I would like to see a biometric trigger lock. Just pick it up and if it is you it works. If noy it dosent. When your palm hits the grip you are logged in.

They have keyed bolt actions and some Glocks have keys. I like the idea of the lock being on the firearm rather than the firearm being in a locked box. The biometric ID is just way too cool though.

I like the universal ttrigger locks. So far thety seem the best bang for the buck. I use a cable lock in the pickup. It does not take a few seconds to unlock the gun as long as you have that key hidden somewhere handy.

A quick access gun storage box, pro and cons, what do you think?

Saiga 12ga with 20 rd drum under the bed, 44 mag in my desk drawer, G23 on the nightstand, Sig239 either on me or on the kitchen bar, Ruger SR22 on the S.O.'s computer desk... who needs a lock box? What are you gonna do... ask the bad guy to hold off on shooting you or your family while you access your gun. :grr01:

BTW... my Mom and Dad and Grandparents had a similar arsenal laying around the house while us kids were growing up. Funny... but none of us kids ever shot the other, and I'll be darned if any of those guns ever got up out of their hiding place, and went on a non-supervised shooting rampage of their own.

It's all about how you raise and educate your kids. :112:

Great for young kids or PMS wife.....if no kids to worry about then a semi-auto with empty chamber....a round can be chambered pretty quick and the wife can't work the action!!! :yesss:

I don't care for any type of lock box.

Might as well ask the villian to wait while you load too.

Hmmm, isn't that a Kalif rule too, locked and unloaded? :89:

Oh, and on full sized safes, NO elec openers, dials and tumblers work just fine.

...and saves on batteries.

A little side note,...

If transporting a weapon in Kalif., you have the gun locked up in the trunk and

have the mag in the glove box, the mag better be empty too. Otherwise you can

still be charged with transporting a loaded weapon.

How does California handle out of staters?

I can carry a loaded weapon (almost) anywhere as long as it is on my hip. And I can carry loaded and concealed with a permit. My permit has reciprocity in many states. Not California.

Do travelers on the road have some sort of exemption from those Cali rules?

Texas honors a travellers right to defend and carry a loaded weapon.

I stopped in at an indoor range in California one evening and had a rude awakening. I walked in with my .22 revolver unloaded, in a leather holster in my hand. After laying my revolver on the counter and inquiring about the cost of a shooting lane I was introduced to a big cop. He told me how many laws I was violating and how long I could rot in a State prison for being the violent rat bastard that I am. I walked out about two hundred dollars poorer and I never fired a shot. Had to buy a fancy California approved gun box. The only one they had. At a premium price. The promised land indeed.

I think that the owner is responsible for securing guns (or not) and the results. If a kid gets an unlocked gun and has an accident or does something irresponsible the owner of that gun should pay dearly. Guns should be secured from kids at all times. If life is so dangerous you need a gun at your fingertips you shouldn't have kids in the environment.

I don't see a need for any lock on a gun unless it is for a kids sake. And if there are certain laws in an area then that is of importance on how you carry and secure. That biometric box is probably way ahead of the curve.

I still think the biometric lock should be in the grip. Your own personal pistol that cannot be fired by anyone else. If they can do it with the box they can do it with the gun. That is the best solution to a gun lock that I can imagine.

I still think the biometric lock should be in the grip. Your own personal pistol that cannot be fired by anyone else. If they can do it with the box they can do it with the gun. That is the best solution to a gun lock that I can imagine.

That's BS also. I'll give you a good example and relate it to my personal situation. I've already stated that I have guns laying around the house. So let's say I go to the store for a few groceries. Naturally I'm carrying my personal weapon. S.O. decides to go take a shower upstairs. Mind you... 12 ga. under the bed, G23 on the nightstand, and off the master bedroom is my office with a .44 mag in the desk drawer. Her little Ruger .22 is downstairs on her computer desk.

She hears breaking glass downstairs. She grabs either the shotgun or the G23 because they're the closest. She goes downstairs and there's a couple tweakers rummaging in the kitchen and the living room. Oooops... I forgot... I've got one of those "feel good" fancy smancy bio locks on my guns that will only fire if it senses my imprint. So how useful is that gun now? :rolleyes:

Bottom line... in my opinion... if you can't take the time to educate or train your kids (or adults) on the use of firearms and the potential dangers.... then you don't deserve to own a gun! :old:

Anyone can think of some situation where a lock of any kind could hinder them. I just don't feel that "in danger".

A bio lock can accept several authorized users. Why not program it for her too?

There should be no reason why the average Joe needs to leave loaded weapons all over the house with the safetys off. Not to say you shouldn't be free to do that if you wanted to. It just seems a bit heavy for a guy to live like that.

I am always within a few seconds of a gun in my home. In my case that is plenty because my property is very secure anyway. If a guy lived with risks that were so severe he armed himself to the teeth he needs to move to a better neighborhood.

(Theres a crash downstairs as tweekers rumage through the house)

"Dang, that gun don't work, awwww crap, neither does that one."

(pant,pant,pant, after runnin' downstairs) "I just hope the tweekers don't

see me make a run for my office." :200:

Naw, blackbird, I can't see that happening. :inocent:

... let me quote your last line here, because I believe it sums it all up,...

" if you can't take the time to educate or train your kids (or adults) on the use of firearms and the potential dangers.... then you don't deserve to own a gun!"

( I keep hearing a fly buzz by, somebody swat it, will ya?)

There should be no reason why the average Joe needs to leave loaded weapons all over the house with the safetys off. Not to say you shouldn't be free to do that if you wanted to. It just seems a bit heavy for a guy to live like that. I am always within a few seconds of a gun in my home. In my case that is plenty because my property is very secure anyway. If a guy lived with risks that were so severe he armed himself to the teeth he needs to move to a better neighborhood.

You call a few loaded pea shooters lying around the house armed to the teeth? Christ son... that's just normal red-neck livin'. :cowboypistol:

This will really get your goat... besides the weaponry, I also have four loaded fire extinguishers laying around that are cocked, locked, and ready to rock. One in the garage, one in the kitchen, one upstairs, and one in the truck. I know, I know... way too risky for a guy to be living that way. I should probably move to a better neighborhood... you know... maybe one of those liberal utopian neighborhoods, where houses never get burglarized, nor do they ever catch fire. :grr01:

I believe there are companies with bio locks on their grips ( prototypes). Not sure I would trust 'em. Gloves? Greasy hands? Power source failure for bio lock?

My mom has thumb print entry on her car. Sometimes takes a couple of swipes. Getting in the car five or six seconds not a big deal-- would be if I need my gun to go boom.

My newer Rutgers have that little key lock-- would hate to have to worry about that when pressure is on. I do use it when I'm leaving the gun. Been in that confrig for four years now-- sadly.

We, as a society, rely way too much on electronics.

Electricity is not a cure all. If I have a dead battery in my car, a

key will get me into the car but not the trunk. Any weapons that may

be in there would be useless. :nutty:

A good dose of EMP and it's all over with. Then whata ya do?

Ya can't follow news or special alerts, and should you be targeted by

the criminal sector, can you still open your electronic gun lock box or safe?

I'm not sure about that so I ain't takin' the chance.

I supose you could build a "Farraday cage" around your house, but really,

that would be a rediculous expence. I'd rather buy more ammo.

Why not stock up for the next family generation? :4chsmu1:

So Skip, to sum up MY opinion on the subject of whether to buy the new

"vegimatic", No, too much possibility of failure. Even a .01% chance of failure

is way too high for me. If you feel that you need to lock up your weapons, get

something that requires a key, not a degree.

...and something I learned about electronics a looonnng time ago. Electronics

operate on smoke, if the smoke leaks out, they no longer work. :brows:

Mine is under the Pillow. No Batteries, No Combo, No Fuss No Muss. Reach Pull and fire. LOL

Been that way for 20 years and not shot off my ears yet.