Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

El Dorado

Top 10 most popular handguns

He was just trying to conflict with what I said about the Glock. It had nothing to do with handguns and everything to do with BS....as usual.

As far as I know every single autoloading pistol on the planet is designed to be carried with one in the chamber. But if you look at his post you will realize he does not know this.

For example, a 1911 is carried hot with THE HAMMER BACK. Holsters for the 1911 are made for the strap to go UNDER A COCKED HAMMER. The whole design of the Glock was built around the chambered round.

that's why they designed the Glock the way they did. It is exactly like a revolver from an operational standpoint. It is safe for exactly the same reasons a revolver is safe. You are always over a hot chamber in a revolver and so with the Glock.

Handling that chambered round under a cocked hammer is the whole concept of handling a semi auto pistol. It is job one.

Emptying the gun and clearing the chamber to safe a weapon defeats the whole purpose of having one. The ONLY safety protocol a shooter should follow is the one for his specific design of gun...and there are many. Autoloaders nowdays are all very different and operate completely differently. They should be handled as the manufacturer intended. I believe every manufacturer specifically intends for their guns to be safe when loaded and hot... as they are holstered, carried and handled. That is just part of a guns job.

I got my wife a S&W Air lite, 5 shot 38 sp. with lazer on it, hammerless. only a 1 inch barrel, Its deadly at 30 ft. Grubstake

I got my wife a S&W Air lite, 5 shot 38 sp. with lazer on it, hammerless. only a 1 inch barrel, Its deadly at 30 ft. Grubstake

They have some sweet pocket holsters with velcro outsides on em. Wherever she carries it she can put a dot of velcro and that pistol will stick to it. A lot of ladies have a dot on the inside of the purse and one outside. The inside one keeps the gun in one spot and at a good draw angle to the flap. The one outside, or on the strap is so the gun can be carried on the side of the bag when crossing a parking lot or using a key.

I like those little flat hammerless wheelguns. Perfect defense weapon. With a good pocket holster it is a really useful tool.

Actually Mike, I don't carry a semi. I rely on my wheel guns. (they never "stove pipe")

We could raise another topic here, semis vs wheel guns, but I won't go into that now.

I was taught though, that if you practice, you can jack the slide as you unholster and

raise to target level. One fluid motion.

I was taught by an ex military police guy, so I'll stick with his advise.

He stated that the chance of discharge while unholstering is quite possible.

Just takes that situation out of the mix.

Really, same as lookin' for a safety. Practice pays off.

I know, some semis don't have safeties, per say. All the more reason, to me,

to keep one out of the pipe.

So Mike, I figure whatever someone is more comfortable with should be "their" rule.

"Live and let die"

----Ian Flemming----

Common rookie mistake. Finger on trigger while drawing. Gun goes bang. Rookie wonders why he has a hole in his leg.

This one is a classic... worth the watch as the dude fancies himself as an expert in guns. :laught16:

Actually Mike, I don't carry a semi. I rely on my wheel guns. (they never "stove pipe")

We could raise another topic here, semis vs wheel guns, but I won't go into that now.

I was taught though, that if you practice, you can jack the slide as you unholster and

Nothing Wrong with the Wheel GUN! Leave no Brass and is as safe as can be.

So Mike, I figure whatever someone is more comfortable with should be "their" rule.

"Live and let die"

----Ian Flemming----

Common rookie mistake. Finger on trigger while drawing. Gun goes bang. Rookie wonders why he has a hole in his leg.

This one is a classic... worth the watch as the dude fancies himself as an expert in guns. :laught16:

:25r30wi:... and in a real life situation, the villian would get him too. Imagine, getting shot twice for one mistake. I think he lost all "focus" too, poor "grasshopper". :25r30wi:

Another reason I use a wheel gun, double action of course. Don't wanna blow my leg off with a .44 mag while tryin' to cock the hammer on pull out. :nono:

"Live and let die"

----Ian Flemming----

That falls into what I call situational awareness.

Around the house I wouldn't have a round chambered. My property was such that with some approaching I could work the action and get ready if need be.

At work I would have round chambered safety on.

Out and about in neighborhoods where the residents self-identified by police district I ran "hot". That is also where having the G-17 holstered, the Ruger .45 readied and positioned in the car and the LCP somewhere about and professor mossberg behind the passenger seat made me a bit more comfortable.

And all that required practice.

Big Judge is indeed a fun mix. Shotgun revolver with a 44/10 gage mix for my buds wife

I thought were these illegal in CAli- considered a "short-barrelled" shotgun?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1651118

Aloha guys,

A cpuple of months after my stoke I ended up selling most of my firearms since I lost a good portion of my visio. BUT it looks like my vision just may be improving to the point I can still shoot and hit whatever I am aiming at so I kept my Glock 26 and my 1911 Custom Carry Officers worked on by Cogan Custom Works. All my buddies back home want that .45 really bad and I keep on getting emails asking if I am willing to sell it. NOT going to happen.

Aloha and stay safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Like Steel Pan most of my shooting is with revolvers,and I always keep the hammer down

on an empty chamber. I even keep the barrel clear on my semi's too. I have shot a lot of old

pistols,and those half cock ,or other safties ,can get worn or dirty,and don't work. Just bumping

the hammer can make it fire.

As he says ,you can cock a semi,while bringing it into firing position ,as fast as you can fool

with a safety. With practice the hammer on a single action revolver is only pulled back as it

comes into firing position,not as it comes out of the holster.

The most dangerous gun I ever owned was an old .38 double action Webley. I learned real

fast to keep it on an empty chamber. Just the slightest bump on the hammer would set it off.

Don't ask how I know,took me two hours to catch my horse,and he gave me the evil eye for

weeks after. :grr01:

My semi is a full frame all steel Taurus ,it has the lock,and more than enough levers to suit

anyone. Even with all that I never carry with a hot round .

I even keep the barrel clear on my semi's too.

All defense weapons I carry and in my home have full mags and one in the pipe, and are ready to rock with just a trigger pull. I don't even want to fathom a situation where I have to take precious time wondering if the safety is off or on, or wether there is a round in the chamber. I've instructed my S.O. that all she has to do is pull the trigger on any one my weapons and they're gonna go boom. I've also instructed her to never hesitate shooting somebody if they are in our home un-invited. We can always clean up the mess later. :4chsmu1:

As far as accidental discharge of a wheel gun, S&W, in their wisdom, designed their

newer revolvers so that they won't go off when dropped or even thrown. But per my

training, thanks Dad, I too keep the hammer over an empty chamber. The older

revolvers, which mine are, could go off if dropped or thrown.

As I mentioned before,...

"I figure whatever someone is more comfortable with should be "their" rule."

I thought were these illegal in CAli- considered a "short-barrelled" shotgun?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1651118

Yup, the .45/410 Taurus is concidered in the same catagory as a sawed off shot gun.

Not because it shoots shot shells, but because the barrel is under 18", which makes

it an illegal shot gun.

...and no, just because you have it loaded with .45s does not matter, the gun is judged

on it's capabilitys.

No one in Kalif is dumb enough to own one of them. :nono:

They're "against the law", don't cha know. :inocent:

Just as you know all my semi's are Sig Sauer and all are double/single action and no safety on any of them. The first round in the 239, 226 and the 229 are all double action with about a 9-10 pound long press ... and single action after that. There is a de-cock lever on all so that the hammer is brought back safely prior to holstering forcing the next shot to be double action again. 'Accident discharge' on the draw from holster is from those who know it all and don't believe they need training upon buying a new gun. Further they don't spend practice time with an empty gun prior to carrying for real. EVERY new gun owner should take it upon himself or herself to get some professional training or at the very least some training from a safety oriented experienced shooter.

As for the wheel guns ... I was raised on them and used/carried until about 6 years ago when switched to a Sig226 carry gun. The wheel gun was a S&W K-frame with 4" barrel and chambered in .38 police special ... That gun still serves me today after it was given to me back in the 1970's ... I never carried my S&W 629 .44 Mag with 6.5 barrel but I have used it for hunting. I put a short barreled Aimpoint red dot on it and it drives tacks at 50 yards with a steady hand and a tree for a rest.

They all have their place and in the right hands with an educated/trained operator it is just a matter of choice as to what is best to carry.

I love shooting all handguns big and small and all in between. They are more fun than long guns in my mind!

Mike F

Weaver -just bought brand new for $525 including transfer from Old West here in Redding. Joanne is a tiny gal but LOVES to go shooting with us all the time and that neat thang caught her fancy. She has dozens a weapons,hubbie many 100s. I like this briefcase full of Thompson Contender with over a dozen barrels as ya can shoot any caliber ya want and such a nice neat package to own and o so easy to haul around--John

post-23710-0-70429200-1391868445_thumb.j

Gotta go with Eldo on this.... Colt Mustang combined with .380 Lawman ammo. Small and lightweight enough to carry anywhere. But number one choice when able has gotta be 1911... no worrying whether a small caliber hollow point will expand as .45 rounds are pre-expanded. I used to be big into the practical pistol / 3 gun match scene. Thousands of practice rounds a month. And what do I do now?..... I walk around the desert digging them up one at a time. Talk about paying the price!

All talk about calibers and action types aside: The best gun for any given situation?.... The one you have with you.

L.J. ... No more sage words were ever spoken ... I have to agree ... the gun you have is the best for any situation!

Mike F

LOL! .22lr will do anything I need to do. Bears and Mtn Kitties, too.

Homefire

I hope that you never have to prove that idea. That is like taking a knife to a gun fight. :ROFL:

Were not talking Kodiak bears here.

Homefire

I have dispatched a few bears and kittys. Shooting a kitty with a .22 is like surgery,it

can be done ,but only if hit in the right spot,and even then they don't just drop over dead.

Here is a clue,when a kitty gets hit in a vital spot with a .22,it digs its claws in deeper and

hangs on until it drops,if it is in a tree,or has a hold on something when hit. We used that

to an advantage ,to save our dogs while they are under a tree. A dieing kitty can be deadly,

if it lands into a pack of hounds,or hunters.

I helped skin a black bear that had been shot 6 times at very close range with a .22 mag,

every bullet was just right under the skin. It didn't even slow him down. As a matter of fact,

it only made him mad,and he tore the guys cabin to pieces ,while the guy ran to go call the

fish and game. Now if you could wait for the bear to die of infection,it might work. :idunno:

No dog hunting allowed in kalif anymore. You must work for your prey now. The only time ya know a cat is around is when his fangs rip open your neck. I do know a pot farmer who DID kill a big ol'bear with a .22 mag. right into the eye from his rooftop as it raided the chickens and tore up his buds. It ran away but tracked and found dead. Never ever seen or heard of anything so unlikely,kill a bear with a 22 mag hahahaha but for every rule a exception can exist. I'll take my 357 mag with Bob specials in it anyday.-John

When out in critter areas I have my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. The rounds are custom full pressure loads with a 300 grain XTP Mag bullet. A bit on the heavy side to carry all day, but great insurance in bad bear country. I hope it will never have to be used.

El D. if your in bad bear country beeping with klunker just make sure he has heavy boots on and you have tennis shoes on....then all you have to is out run him :th:

I will carry my S&W .44 mag when working my way to the work

site. Once there I set it off to the side. Critters don't seem to come around

with all the noise I/we make. :brows: