Nugget Shooter Forums

Primm Nevada Hunt Today

Way to go, Dave and grandson. I need to get out there soon myself so I can at least get one find from there. Meteorite hunting is a lot of fun, but I tell ya it is probably the worst thing I could have started doing...lol. As my family can attest to, I am pretty anal with a lot of things I do. A lot of my friends call me a perfectionist. So now, I have come down with OCMD (Obsessive Compulsive Meteorite Disorder). I have to have at least one from each place. Haha.

Aloha Dave,

So. it looks like you are passing on some of your knowledge and luck to the next generation of meteorite hunters. Nice job.

Aloha and stay safe,

Stan aka Kaimi

Dave,

Nice find. I have a few questions about that area. I have been up to Ivanpah looking for coins and such. I never knew about the dry lake. Is it a strewn field? I also read that you need a permit to go out there. Is that correct? Thanks for any info.

Chris- Your just starting to make your rounds, youll get there, you have a nice collection going. This hobby is addicting.

Stan- We miss you in the field, Hoping to get grandson into meteorites and gold. When I was young you couldnt get me in the house, now I see commercials about getting kids out to play an hour a day, and its hard to get them outdoors. Hope all is good.

Lobo- Ivanpah is open no permit needed, (at least for now) you only need a permit for windsailing or some other big event. You can meteorite hunt there with no problems. The lake I was on was just north of Ivanpah, and Primm, Roach Dry Lake. If you go to Ivanpah, it is large, and a very hard search. There is a lot of history on Ivanpah, and I have found some nice old items from the early days there, of course I left them there, unless its private land :inocent: . Look here for meteorites found:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/

Dave

Edited by DolanDave

Signs are still posted. We went there several weeks ago, saw the signs and decided to just go to Stewart. A big bummer seeing those signs.

BTW, there was a meteorite found between Nipton and Ivanpah. :shhhhh:

Ben, and Jim

Only the West side of the railroad tracks is off limits. The East side of the railroad tracks is open, BLM land, and OHV area. They were suppose to build that airport like 10 years ago, but when construction halted so did that job, we were getting ready to run a 72" water main out there.

Been to the Nipton area a few times with no luck. The meteorite found there must have been a recent fall, as all that land and a few miles in radius is a huge alluvial wash. I go through Nipton all the time going to Searchlight for work, and have talked to a gentleman there in Nipton, he informed me that is not where the find was made, just love those false metbul location listings. But if I can find my way way south Ivanpah find I lost last year :th_panic: , its not to far from that..... :duc:

Dave

Edited by DolanDave

HI Jim,

The next time I'm in Vegas visiting my relatives, I'll hunt further that way. I really don't want to spend

too much time to go around "off-limits" areas just to hunt, when there is a lot of unregulated spots.

Hi Dave,

That's just that much more incentive for you to get out there and refind your lost meteorite, or find

one of it's family members.............................

Ben