Nugget Shooter Forums

Best way to move boulders?

Caliche Chris

I have picked out a spot for my next drywashing adventure. This will be my biggest and most difficult dig yet, and hopefully the gold will reflect that. It is in a wash that I know has good gold. There is a spot in the wash where the wash makes a 90 degree turn and that whole area where the creek turns is packed with giant rocks and boulders. The dirt in the creek behind that point doesn't have many boulders at all, they all seem to be getting stuck right there in the corner so I bet there are some nice pockets of gold too. Some of these rocks are probably five hundred pounds at least, what method could one person use to move these rocks out of the way?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Dave said.

If you have a Hi-Lift jack that can also be used to pull or push something. I have used one with tow ropes to pull the back end of a truck around while rock crawling and those jacks are heavy duty. A snatch block will help with leverage if you can figure a way to rig it all up. Shouldn't be to difficult if you can find a good anchor and have plenty of hd rope.

Here is how I do or did it. I dig out just under the offending bolder. AT LEAST a third of what you think it is. If it starts to move End Game. Find the Far side of said Rock. Smack a crow Bar in and pull like hell until it tumbles down. That not working take a jack digging down behind the rock and Push it out. That not working a toilet paper tube full of kno4 70%full mixed with powdered sugar behind the rock about 2ft deeper then the rock will do the Trick for sure. Cannon Fuse works most well. Now you have the Rock moved and a bunch of loose dirt. You don't even have to run away. 10 ft is good.

Edited by homefire

I agree that a winch is the best bet, if you don't have a solid object to attach the winch too you'll have too bury a "deadman" for your anchor point, a spare tire will work, but for best results use a long log or timber.

Here's an article on setting up/burying a deadman, you can find other articles on this subject doing a internet search.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Deadman-Anchor.htm

I would also suggest getting yourself a couple of strong towing straps to wrap around the boulders, also be very careful of the cable or straps slipping off or breaking, getting hit by a cable formally under tension will do some significant damage to your body.

YOu can do a bunch with a strong digging bar ,shovel and a fulcrum( a rock). Lever it onto a sled of reinforced plywood and then pull with your winch to where you want it.

Only 500lbs... A pinch bar can move that much. Maybe only a little at a time, but it should do it. Leverage works. If you can get an anchor point a rather modest come-a-long will pull a 500 pounder easily. Sounds like a great place to put in some effort

Edited by El Dorado

Thanks again for all the tips guys. I've checked out some methods based on the suggestions here and I am going to start with the pry bar and fulcrum method. Also, the plywood sled with some pipes on the ground as rollers will be a big help too. If the gold is good and some of the rocks are too big, I have a borrowed come a long to use.

Winch,block and tackle soo many ways. Them lil'ol'chainsaw winches will move VW sized boulders if done properly. I'll post a great winch (10,000 lb) and hopefully this website will accept a REALLY cool old article on moving multi-ton monoliths with your own power. John The J walk blog-Moving Big Rocks won't load up but maybe GOOGLE will produce the site. 20-40 tons moved easily ,sorry it won't post :th:

post-23710-0-98563000-1391089614_thumb.j

Lol, thanks Steve. Yea I'm not gonna get too crazy unless there's a bunch of gold in there. There's lots of great ideas on this thread and all the info is appreciated. Yes, some of it is out of my budget and a little much for the current project but still great info to have and (I've said it before) all the tips from people with more experience than I've got are always appreciated. Gotta love the forum!

OK so you don't like the Kabooom of the Good old stuff. Here is what ya do! Rent a Hammer Drill and 1" bit. Knock some holes in the rock and use Silent Explosives! Yep Crackamite. If you ask right you can even get a Box for Free! http://crackamite.com/

http://crackamite.com/freetrial

Dexpan is the same and offers free samples.

Edited by homefire

He's going to have to haul a generator in or have a verrrrrrry long extension cord... Rotary hammer would be more stout.

Rent a Hammer Drill and 1" bit. Knock some holes in the rock and use Silent Explosives! Yep Crackamite. If you ask right you can even get a Box for Free! http://crackamite.com/