Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi Folks,

I have been a "lurker" on this board for quite a long time and I am finally getting a small start on a collection. I started checking out some of the listings on EBay.and I am confused about prices. I have read over and over how rare meteorites are yet there are some really interesting looking meteorites at some (in my opinion) quite low prices. Granted, a lot of them are pretty small, but I am confused about how a reasonable price is determined. It seems to me that if something is "rarer than diamonds" that the price would be pretty high. I have made a point of watching what I feel are reliable vendors.

Just curious, thanks,

Roger

Roger,

All 'reasonable' markets are set by an 'arms length transaction' of a willing buyer and a willing seller. Since the beginning of eBay and other online sites a willing seller has been able to access more potential buyers than ever before. Willing buyers are also able to shop more potential sources for their collections also.

This has challenged values for items by testing the depth (number of buyers) because these buyers are able to judge the quantity of sellers. In many cases sales 'hype' has been replaced with facts such as most recent 'cost per gram' information.

If you find something (from a verified seller) such as a meteorite, book, metal detector, car, coin, etc. that you like and you think it is a bargain then buy it because you know the market better than the seller. Even if you don't know the market better than the seller ... buy it for your collection. You are competing for buying at wholesale prices or retail prices or over paying but you can still enjoy the meteorite as part of your personal collection and that is the value that counts.

Mitchel

In my humble opinion, I think meteorites are as valuable as the person who is buying them want them to be. I have acquired a collection of 75 meteorites in the past two months, and I have been told they are pretty much worthless as far as monetary value goes. But to me they are priceless because my family and I found them. If you really like something it is more valuable to you than if you don't, so a fair price, to me, is how much you think it is worth spending in order to have it. Happy hunting.

Just a bit off topic----Cris, you should check that autospell. Had to do a double take on that sentence. :)

Now for on topic. A wise old man told me once. " Son, it's worth what somebody is willing to pay you for it." I figure that works both ways.

Roger,

Just as a followup, there is a market for meteorites. There is a market for gems and minerals. There is a market for precious metals. Most of these markets (just like a stock market) have 'market makers' which will buy back from you if you need cash very quickly and you accept a deep discount. This could be lower than the wholesale price but it would be a value like going to a pawn shop or corner jewelry buyer or something like that. In a market like meteorites the market makers are normally dealers who would buy the meteorite back from you if you had to liquidate. They buy inventory all the time from finders and those selling collections.

The price they buy it back could be well below the normal buy/sell spread. If you are really concerned about the value of a piece before you buy it and it is very expensive you might want to ask the dealer 'How much would you pay to buy it back?' Maybe with time the value of your slice or full meteorite would increase in value. If it does not you have still had the pleasure of telling its story.

A better story would be if you could find a few meteorites yourself. It would not really be cheaper (meteorite hunting is expensive) but a much different story.

Mitchel

Priceless autocorrect Chris.

Why collect them there? :-)

Thank you much, Au. LOL. It is always on my mind because I AM a man after all, but I'd be hard pressed to find a way that it and meteorites go together.

Saginaw, the reason to not hunt them there.......I hear they don't do to well in moisture. :D

Edited by Chris Coffee

A gentleman named Kevin Kichinka compiles a yearly meteorite price report that is "A comparative study of worldwide meteorite pricing, listing current prices and identifying trends compiled from dealer Internet sites during July, 2005, February, 2007, September, 2008, December, 2010 and December, 2012." (From 2013 price report) I imagine he'll be releasing a newly updated one for 2014 shortly.

If you collecting with no intention of investing the price is not so important. Think of meteorite purchases as you would jewelery...you are buying the art not the gem/metal value.

Buy from reputable dealers to be certain you are actually getting meteorites...not everything sold as space rocks are actually meteorites...

If you are investing for profit...you have a stiff learning curve ahead...good luck

fred

Stupid freaking auto-correct...Lmao. So not a good thing to have showing. How can I edit that?

Chris, its a good thing you don't have friends and neighbors reading that post. Just us old meteorite hunters! I tried to understand what you meant but ... it was out of place but not out of mind!

:idunno:

The funny thing is that in the 5 years that I have had this phone I have typed that word MAYBE 4 times. So it baffles me why that is the first word that the auto-correct would predict. I learned a valuable lesson though...Proof read, proof read, then proof read again before touching the Add Reply button. ;)

Hi Roger,

Some meteorites are going to be more valuable than others, and some less than others. There are a lot of factors. Common chondrite or a planetary type. A siderite, or a lunar. Pallasite or martian. A stoney, or an iron. Is it listed in The Meteorite Bullitin, or is it an unclassified NWA? Was it a find or a fall? Was it a witnessed fall? Was it a "historical fall"? What's the TKO? TKO is total known weight - is there only 24 grams of it ever found in the whole world, or is there thousands of tons like the Chelyabinsk fall that hit Russia. And speaking of Chelyabinsk, media attention/novelty affects price,too. Is the meteorite a "hammer" - did it hit a human, an amimal, or any man-made object or building? Is the meteorite a common type, but has an uncommon petrology? Does the meteorite have "provinence"? Is the dealer overstocked on that type, and motivated to move the inventory in order to raise cash to buy something that will be hotter on the market? I think all these factors make meteorites more interesting. I think you will find the answers to most of your questions here on the forum, and it's more fun than lurking.

Best Regards, Ben

Roger,

Go to Tucson next week. Your selection will be greater than any other place in the world within walking distance of each other.

Mitchel