Sign in to follow this  
pennigold

The New Garrett ATX

My three girls.

She's in my hands Bill.

Thank You!

post-27023-0-44237100-1390682692_thumb.j

• Like 1

Pennigold I've waited all day for this post.....congrats.....I'm almost as thrilled as your are with your new detector.

I have one more piece of advise ( it's free) now email nvchris and get your self a "hip stick", you won't be sorry!

Good hunting and good luck!!!!!

Congratulations Penni!! :thumbsupanim

I second the HipStick suggestion, the ATX will get heavy after swinging it a while.

I love my HIPstick...but, Doc's swingy-thingy might be a better choice for this detector...talk it over with Bill...

I use my hipstick always when using my Minelab Pi...however, I use the original swingy-thigy for my ctx at the beach or if my arm is paining me...of course you could have both.

fred

• Like 1

I have tried all of them and the new Minelab Pro-Swing is the berries! Glad to hear you new baby has arrived safely... Have fun!

Nice purchase! You did not go wrong with that one!!!

• Like 1

The Garrett dealer here in Brazil has sold five of the ATX in just about a month or so....

My friend in OKC drove to the Garrett factory in early Dec. and bought his with all three coils and he'll be back here 16th of Feb. I have some great areas picked out for that new machine.

He also bought a Garmin GPS and it's sure going to get a work out where I'm taking him.

I was impressed with the ATX my friend recently purchased. Very smooth running machine. I particularly liked the way it folds down onto a compact carrying case. Now I wish Garrett would make a lighter weight dry land model.

• Like 1

Going to the LSD Outing YAAAAY!

Bill will the store be open on the 6th of Feb? If so we were going to stop in on our way to Jackass Flats. If you have some Hipsticks I'd

like to purchase one.

The Garrett came with a shoulder strap but if there is another better gadget to help on the weight I need one!

Thanks again all for the advise!

Garimpo,

At first glance at your above message I thought you were funning me and telling me to get some lipstick :25r30wi:

I was really overwhelmed when I got the Garrett set up. It was very easy set up, had my Leatherman handy

but never had to use it.

The :th_panic: started when I turned it on! I thought wow I'm in over my head...

I put it away as I was at my Daughters house getting ready to BBQ, didn't want one of the guys trying it out :idunno:

Got home yesterday reread the manual, watched another video, gathered my learning supplies and got to work.

I'm in love with this machine!!!! Whole different animal than any thing I have ever used. I now know what learning curve

means but I'm confident I will master this baby before I go to LSD Outing.

Thanks for sharing in my enthusiasm, having a Blast!!!

post-27023-0-36495700-1390855330_thumb.j

post-27023-0-69373200-1390855365_thumb.j

post-27023-0-99288100-1390855426_thumb.j

post-27023-0-15567900-1390855498_thumb.j

Pennigold that last pic is the right color but is it the right material?

Yea I know I'm a newbie, but I'm no dummy at least I hope I'm not :inocent:

My other half brings this gold home from Congo. He acid tests it and says he knows what he's doing.

I'll have to have him line me out on that process. We bought a little bowl not sure what its called but

you can get it red hot.

Jeff added some borax to the gold and melted it into what you see below with the big torch.

post-27023-0-00866200-1390867604_thumb.j

Garimpo,

Here's a top side view, we measured out two different 1 oz piles of gold and then melted them down.

The one pictured didn't turn out as clean as the first one, we think maybe there's a little copper or some other

metal in it.

Jeff added more borax twice and put the torch back to it, we got it to a liquid state again but it just wouldn't

dry all shiny and clean like the first oz.

I had to hold the troch on the gold while Jeff poured it into a little square 1 oz block maker.

Think we will just start making buttons :89:

post-27023-0-24436600-1390869336_thumb.j

That's a pretty unusual looking silver ingot. Regardless whether you found it with your detector not, it's a collectors item. imho

"We bought a little bowl not sure what its called but you can get it red hot." That's called a crucible.

• Like 1

Dutchman are you talking about the Tombstone piece?

Take a clear beer bottle, break it and crush up the glass real fine and add a bit of it it to the melt. Bad stuff gets trapped in the melted glass and helps clean up the gold or silver. If it get too thick to pour, add more borax. And cook the melt longer to help things oxidize out. It may come out cleaner. Another thing that is cool to do is to drop the melt into very cold water. The different shapes that come out of this are very cool. if you do this, make sure you have at least 1 foot of water so the metal is cool before it hits the bottom.

Jim

• Like 1

Go to the Pet Shop. Buy some Activated Charcoal. It's Bone Ash. Add that and it will Soak up any Lead and nasty stuff. The Gold will be on the Bottom. Regular Beach type sands works as a Floatation Flux with the Borax. My bet is it's more then 20K as is.

• Like 1

"We bought a little bowl not sure what its called but you can get it red hot." That's called a crucible.

Oh, thats one of those things I wear arround my neck , and say rosary with....cool

• Like 1

Awesome tips ya'll, Jeff will be impressed at what I'm learning here!

Thanks!

Crucible LOL Thanks Dutchman :action-smiley-068[1]:

Yea it is Dutchman, glad you like it! the x to the left of the tombstone is called a Katanga Cross, it came from Congo.

That used to be their currency Katanga Crosses in various sizes.

HaHa yea its pretty cool, they first started making them in the 18th century. When Jeff and Ifirst took our girls then age 11 and 14 to Congo we went to visit

a village Chief, thought that would be cool and It was. He asked Jeff if he wanted to sit in his chief chair so Jeff does and then the interpreter tells Jeff that he is required

to give the chief his watch in return :25r30wi: laughed my butt off! Then some of the village men asked Jeff how much we would sale Jessi for if they wanted to marry her, how many pigs, goats canoes, ect. Jessi wasn't laughing.....

Edited by pennigold