Nugget Shooter Forums

This egg under short wave light shows calcite red, agate green with center of quartz crystals. Most eggs that we pick up the agate shows green although some are quite light. I like the few that have a bit of calcite

t11b.jpg

Adam, It does look more orange than red in that photo. Sometimes hard to get the color to look correct. Here is another with more of a pink on the left and the smaller spot orange, both are calcite

792.jpg

Bob are you using longwave or shortwave UV?

Seeker, that is shortwave because it works best on the majority of specimens from Alaska. In your area a longwave may be better, or a combo. A decent light is quite spendy so I do not have all that I would like. There is also a midrange that some use.

here is an ammonite

003-3.jpg

This is something that I would really enjoy getting involved with. I learned alot about the flourescents last year.

Great stuff here!

~ kat

Fluorescents are a whole new ball game when it comes to mineral collecting. It is a intriguing part of the hobby. Addicting may be a better word. Those thunder eggs are amazing!!

Been collecting them since the mid 50s,not new at all really. At Gem Shows put on by the Palos Verde Gem/Mineral club,and folks houses ,there were blackout rooms to enjoy them great species. Still one in the new Carson City Mint building and a fantastic one at Gaumers Rock Shop in Red Bluff. Best rock shop on the planet with righteous museum for free also-Absolutely must agree on hi-low uv lights as a couple a bucks difference opens 2 worlds instead of 1-John

Just cut bookends out of this thunderegg yesterday and It came out real cool. About 5.5 " tall. Once again the pink/orange is calcite, blue and green banded agate, Bob

003-4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool......thanks

Edited by El Dorado
  • 6 months later...