Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia info

This is my first post but I having been following this forum for about a year. I appreciate all the information I have found out from you guys especially about Franconia. I went out there a couple of days ago and found a bunch of 50 cal bullets but no space rocks. My question is if there any gold out there? If so, is it best to dry wash or use my detector? Thanks for any input.

no power equipment in wilderness areas

Fred, it's actually no MECHANICAL equipment allowed in a Wilderness Area. This includes things like bicycles and dry washers, as they are both mechanical. It does not preclude the use of electronic devices, such as a metal detector.

Thanks for all of your input. I am planning on giving Franconia another go on the weekend after the Super Bowl. I retired a few years ago and lucked into a part time gig at Tesoro working with customers and their detectors. I will have some Lobo STs and a bunch of coils to try out. Give me a holler if you are heading out that way.

Reid

:25r30wi:Didn't Mitchell find all the rest of the gold there???

Jim,

When we had the outing there in October of 2012 I found that sunbaker. :thumbsupanim We hunted all around the area and could not find more.

How the meteorite hunters from the past missed it I haven't a clue. Actually I do have a clue ... thunderstorms over the thousands and thousands of years in that area have washed those mountains. When I have flown over these areas you see giant fans. Look at Google Earth.

When we had the get together last December for hunting and the meteor shower I heard a story about a big nugget that was found not far from the LHGS. They go on up the road and Frank has been a member of them in the past.

I don't really know the gold history of the area.

As I have stated before, I had an uncle who was training as a radar/gunner on the Black Widows at the end of WWII and he may have shot-up the desert with the 50 cals and things since he trained in California and Arizona.

Mitchel

There is a lot of gold history in the area. There are old diary's from miners in the old days in Kingman all about the area. There was quite a bit of gold taken from the area. Anything south of the freeway is prime hunting for gold and meteorites, though you might have to hunt harder, and use larger coils :brows:, as it was hit hard when the strewn field was discovered. Back in the early 90's a couple pulled a nice multi ouncer specimen nugget from the area. I know another person who belongs on this forum who has pulled a nice little over an ouncer nugget from the area, and not from the claims further south. All eroded down from the Chemehuevis placers. You really want to hit the area hard, after flash floods, which move a lot of dirt.

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave

Karl,

Frank is right about it being on the surface. My find there had the gold side up so as soon as I heard the detector 'go off' I looked down and I could see the gold. I think even with the gold not showing and if it is laying on the surface it is a sunbaker also. The key would be no digging.

If you go to an area and you find a wash or a crevice and you see the gold without digging we'll let you call that a sunbaker too. There are still 'glitter gulches' around like the story of Rich Hill.

I just looked back at the forum from that time Karl. I think that was the first time I met you. I found the speci on the Thursday before the outing 'started.'

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22904&hl=franconia#entry188448

Mitchel