Nugget Shooter Forums

Deer Control In The Suburbs

It's happening in more and more places. As cities expand and ban hunting inside city limits, the deer herds grow. They eat people's gardens and get hit by cars. They even cause fatalities. The anti hunting folks won't let hunters thin the herds so now in some places they are spending big taxpayer money to catch the deer, sterilize them and release them.

Then, the sterilized deer go back out and resume eating people's gardens and get hit by cars.

If there was a mouse problem would they catch, sterilize and release the mice?

Read on, any thoughts?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/01/18/deer-control-by-scalpel-instead-guns-seen-as-costly-ineffective/

Sterilization won't work ... never has and never will ... Do some in one area while the herd grows in another and those taken out of the former area will be filled in from the later ... that's the way nature works. The best way to cull a herd is to remove some animals on a permanent basis. Allow bowhunters ... I'm not one as I gun hunt so not tooting my own method ... to come in and harvest the deer with permission of the homeowners. Yup ... some homeowners won't allow it even though their precious arborvitaes are being eaten to the trunk by the herd deer. Some will allow it though and that is usually all you need ... a strategic few locations where the deer cross on a regular basis. Allow the bowhunters to keep one deer and donate the rest to the food pantries. Protein deficiency for the poor solve, yard and garden pests of the rich and famous solved and health of the local herd is preserved ... oh and the bowhunters have live targets to hone their skills and solve the 'buck fever' syndrome!

JMHO ... Mike

Stationed at Patrick AFB there was a deer / car thing at least once maybe twice a week. Cape Canaveral was over the top with the critters. There where so many dear they was all sort of small. Just not enough to eat.

Using these over populated herds to feed the homeless sounds like a great plan to me, but I guess the idiots in charged haven't thought about that.

Oh, they have thought of that but were shouted down by animal rights activists. Same story with Canadian geese which have become a problem in some areas.

My thoughts are each city should address the problem as the citizens in each city sees fit. And that is exacltly what is happening.

Sterilization will work in certain areas. But that is not how cities generally deal with it. There are strategies in every area of the US to deal with wild critters in cities. Those strategies are as unique as the cities that deal with them.

"Tax payer money" is what pays for everything that a city does. And citizens have a whole lot of control at that level. I think they should be free to deal with the problem as each city' elected leaders see fit. In a town that does not want deer killed or hunted inside city limits then that is the voice of the people. If they decide they want to control with sterilization then why not? Many cities allow hunting....great!

There is no "right" way to do it other than how the community decides to do it. Every city govt. accepts input and is elected by locals to make those decisions. If you can't live with the decisions in your community then move to a place that suits you better.

Here we have depredation hunts. Problem game animals are taken by licensed hunters that put their name on a rotating call list. Any time healthy animals need to be thinned or are causing damage on private land the NMGF has a pool of hunters ready to go on 24 hrs notice. Sick, dangerous or non game species are all handled by a biologist, a warden and a rifle.

We have deer, bear, lion, and elk in our cities and a lot of incidents every year. There is a lot of opinion from everyone involved. And there should be. That is what makes freedom tick.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Using these over populated herds to feed the homeless sounds like a great plan to me, but I guess the idiots in charged haven't thought about that.

In a lot of cases they harvest excessive deer and feed people. I have been on many special hunts where meat was donated by huntes and prepared by butchers to be used at the NM Girls Ranch, NM Boys Ranch, Dept of Corrections and a food program in urban Albuquerque.

My father hunted deer and antelope for the Wyoming "Orphan School" in Sheridan. It was a yearly thing and they had special tags for hunters that wanted to kill a few but donate the meat.

There are lots of programs to thin game and use the meat to feed people.

All elk and deer hides here can be donated to several organizations. I buy my gloves from an outfit in Farmington that trains challenged native kids to tan hides and make gloves. Most native buckskin is donated hides from hunters. And the elk hide gloves are the cats meow.