Nugget Shooter Forums

H5 Chondrite Detectable?

Hi guys,
I have an opportunity to hunt for an H5 Chondrite and I was wondering if they are easily detected with a metal detector? From everything I've read it seems that they would have no problems being detected however, when I was obtaining permission from the gentleman that has found one of them he stated that another gentleman scanned the meteorite with his detector and he was unable to produce a signal? Now… Yes it is an actual meteorite and it has been classified by a university. There has been two samples found. I don't know what type of detector was used on the initial test. The samples were spotted by eye. The gentleman stated that he has not tried a rare earth magnet test but that it has a slight attraction to household refrigerator magnets. I'm an experienced detectorist in all things except meteorites. CTX, Gold Bug Pro and Frame Detector PI with 6'x, 4'x, and 2'x coils. Either this thing isn't detectable or the guy that tried doesn't know what he's doing? Any help would be appreciated. I will have an opportunity to find out first hand when I meet with him but until then I'm left wondering if its even worth spending time and money looking into the possibilities of detecting it. Thanks!

Busspass,

As an experienced detectorist you know you need a sample. You should tune your machine of choice and the coil of your choice to get the maximum response. You can't be too concerned with what the other guy had because that is actually to your benefit because he could not hunt with his detector. Hopefully you can with what you bring.

Beyond that you would be left to spot them visually and carry a magnet stick to assist you.

Mitchel

Meteorites can be tricky and not every machine can see them. A Minelab GPX 5000 could not see the 9.9g Franconia chondrite my Gold Bug 2 found. Any detector that's good at finding meteorites will yelp at an H chondrite. Good luck, hope you find some!

Mike is right about seeing and not seeing. A Gold Bug 2 (without a lot of ground balance circuits) can see more chondrites than my 5000. I went one time to Franconia with someone who had a White's MXT and he found many more than I did including irons. I do have a better coil since then but a VLF like a 3030 which I also have ignores so many things as to be unusable for chondrites but it could find a big iron. Samples are the key. Be prepared to dig.

Mitchel

Thanks guys. Like I said, I'll have a chance to sample it soon so I hope that one of my three machines will hit it. I have the most hope for the GB pro but I'm really hoping that my Frame will hit it. I'm not sure sure if you guys are familiar with the Frame PI or not but it's similar to a Lorenz or a Pulse Star. The benefit of hunting with that unit is obviously the ability go deep and cover waaaay more ground. Fingers crossed.

Any H class chrondrite should easily attract a magnet and should be detectable by most true non-decriminating vlf machines such as the gold bug series or gmt series...

I have found very small bits of Gold basin meteorites with my minelab 3500- about a gram in size...

I just got a minelab 5000 so I don't know its cababilities-however it should be at least as sensitive as my 3500;with the correct settings...

fred