Nugget Shooter Forums

Green Obsidian

kit

Hello...I'm new to NS and read several post on Green Obsidian. One where it turned out to be slag and another saying that there wasn't much around except the "Burns green". Well, after reading the posts I thought maybe I should post some pictures to let you guys know that there is more "real" green out there. Mine isn't the "slab" type that the Burns is, it's in a nodule shape like Apache tears...hope you enjoy seeing it :)

post-27064-0-89657200-1389932146_thumb.j

post-27064-0-32461100-1389932228_thumb.j

post-27064-0-52306500-1389932476_thumb.j

That obsidian looks pretty interesting and you have your hands on something very special. It is refreshing to see that you have had it looked at per your thread on Mindat http://www.mindat.org/forum.php?read,6,311571,page=1 Now all you need to do is give it a name like “Kit’s Green Obsidian” and start selling some.

Hi Haderly.....looks like you've been keeping up with my effort to introduce this new green find...lol. Thanks for answering FD's question for me! I guess you know that I'm waiting to hear what the outcome is on the other (MD) site. Even though I do know it is natural green obsidian, I understand when others question it and that's fine by me, as they're nice people over there. This seems to be an interesting site as well....oh and cute on the naming thing! lol

Steve - Follow the Mindat link that I provided. There are a couple pictures of broken pieces that you can see are translucent.

Casey, I have seen some green obsidian but it's almost black in color and the only way you can tell it's green is if you look at the edges of chips,etc. This material is entirely different and that's why I questioned it. But it's beginning to look like the real deal and if so, that's a nice find. I just wonder what the color agent is and will keep an eye on that mindat post. Looks like we may have answer no later then Tuesday.

Hello guys....just want to say thanks for you interest. Keith did the test, you can check it out over at MD site if you want. It's a lot of numbers that I have no idea what they all mean? I guess he thinks it's right for rhyolite glass...so.......maybe got a yes on it being Obsidian....which I already knew but others weren't sure of. Thanks again :)

This just to show you there's still rocks and minerals out there that have never been found before. Keep your eyes open....

if you review mindat's mineral database there are hundreds of speculated mineral types with correct formulation specs without nomenclature or species classifications... indicative of discovery necessitation. I possess a specimen of SHEEN obsidian that is as black as night but possesses a clearly green reflectant embedded within it that is only seen at certain angles. This obsidian type clearly is not a SHEEN obsidian, which marks it as true green obsidian. It shouldn't suprise anyone that obsidian can come in all colors as obsidian is a silicate class species. as with quartz and agate, color variations know no limit.