Nugget Shooter Forums

What do you think......

Back on Dec. 30th I had the pleasure of meeting Bob Verish when he came to my home to cut my big meteorite. While he was here he took the time to look at each and every one of my meteorite finds from CyDL under a microscope and was able to verify all but two. Thanks to Mikestang I now know how to perform the bulk density test on suspected meteorites and the two that Bob could not confirm definitely failed the BD test. One of the other finds that I had made was out in the El Paso Mtns. near Randsburg in the summer of 2012. It was a tiny little piece of rusted metal that stuck HARD to my pick and to me looked completely different than anything else around. My first thought was, of course, that I had found a meteorite. Since I was not actively looking for meteorites at the time I held on to it and kept detecting.

When I got home that day I started reading this forum and found that I had to put a window in it, which I did. Once the window was in it is showed a very bright and shiny silver colored matrix. When I looked at it with a loupe it appeared to be "burnt" on the exterior. At that point I thought I had found a piece of slag or a chunk of broken tool. Instead of tossing it out I kept it anyway because of the amount of attraction it has to a magnet. So when Bob Verish looked at it under his microscope he could not say for sure that it was a meteorite, but he said that it sure as heck looked like one and not to toss it. He mentioned etching it, but it is very small so I don't think that is an option.

So I get an email from Mikestang yesterday showing how to perform the BD test and he says to give me metal piece a try. I looked up bulk densities of meteorites on http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/density.html and found that iron meteorites have a BD typically between 7g/cm³ - 8g/cm³. So I took out my little piece of metal and performed the test and I got 7.4g/cm³ bulk density. I am wondering what you all think about this? Is it a meteorite? Could it be a meteorite? What other tests can I do to confirm or reject it's authenticity? Now that I have become more serious about this hobby I have learned more than I knew back then about appearance, texture, streaks, etc. Here are the characteristics I have found on it so far:

1. Very Strongly attracted to a magnet

2. Appears to have a fusion crust

3. Looks like it may have been oriented coming in due to what looks like roll-over edges on the aft end of the piece

4. The window HAS NOT rusted or changed in appearance at all since the day it was put in it

5. Bulk Density measures out at 7.4g/cm³

6. Is very heavy for it's size weighing in at 3.7g

7. Does NOT leave a streak of any kind on ceramic

These pictures are not that great, I know. I will take more tomorrow afternoon in natural sunlight. Please let me know what you think. All comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Iron5_zpsa68da318.jpg

Iron3_zps5b5bf37b.jpg

Iron2_zpsdbdee3ff.jpg

I don't think we're going to be able to do better on a forum with pictures than Bob could do in person with a microscope. Next step would probably be to have it shot with an XRF gun or to find a local assay lab that could see if there's any nickel in it, 5%-15% nickel and it's almost assuredly a meteorite. You could also try etching the window, just to see if anything shows up. I etched this small iron of mine and you can see the pattern is fine, something this fine might show up on your window.

post-25596-0-02365500-1389681490_thumb.j

Edited by Mikestang

I don't think we're going to be able to do better on a forum with pictures than Bob could do in person with a microscope. Next step would probably be to have it shot with an XRF gun or to find a local assay lab that could see if there's any nickel in it, 5%-15% nickel and it's almost assuredly a meteorite. You could also try etching the window, just to see if anything shows up. I etched this small iron of mine and you can see the pattern is fine, something this fine might show up on your window.

attachicon.gifodessa-etch2.JPG

Mikestang - any chance I could get the bulk density testing info, too? Pretty please? :-)

1. Weigh the find, record as W1.

2. Get a small plastic cup (one big enough the suspect-orite can fit in without touching the sides) and fill it with deionized water (spring water will work in a pinch, just no tap or purified water). Place the cup full of water on the scale and zero the scale.

3. Tie a small piece of sewing thread around the suspect-orite and lower it into the cup of water. Do not rest it on the bottom or let it touch the sides. Once the weight has stabilized, record as W2.

4. Bulk density = W1/W2