Nugget Shooter Forums

BLM Maps

So, two of the three AZ maps that I ordered arrived today. One is dated 2010 and one is dated 2006. Are these seriously still even remotely accurate?

If you can find old forestry maps, buy, keep them. They show a lot of sites, to include archaeological sites, that are no longer put on any maps. Govt doesn't want the public to know that information.

Dave

I think you're right , Dave.

I just happen to have a Tahoe National Forest map from 1953.

It's about 3 ft square. I still lay down on the floor with it and a magnifying glass.

Very interesting details. :brows:

I found a old box of maps in a dumpster a few years ago. Who ever must have been a prospector the way there all marked up. Some are from the 60's and they show stuff you would never think of.

Rarity,

Call your BLM office and they will tell you why they have the dates on the maps that they do. I have a whole group of them I have bought from different offices and I only find them 'useful' in giving me an idea of public vs private lands when I can't use a computer. If I am going to do research I do it online first and you can mark your map after.

Mitchel

Assuming you are wondering about the land status/ownership, they are generally (more or less) correct and they usually seem to reprint a new version when that quadrant has had status changes.

But, usually what I do is get the master title plat from either the GLO or sometimes the county. That is the legal ownership map. Also many county assesors have GIS interfaces with their own ownership maps on their websites these days, but they are just derived from the master title plats anyways. Most AZ counties that I've checked so far have the ownership data online.

Then you can check your BLM maps with those sources and see if there are any discrepancies.

You can also get ownership maps for free for the entire country (as well as just about any other map you can think of) on my Virtual Prospector website I built, but the last status update on them was I believe 2004 or something like that, and they also only show federal, no state ownership.

Thanks! I somehow thought when I finally got my paws on the BLM maps, I'd have a clearer idea of where I could legally hunt. :Just_Cuz_06:

The maps are awesome, and that's a really good point that the older maps are more specific.

Will look into the title plat thing - seriously know nothing about that stuff and it seems like I will never figure out where I can go!

Specifically, was thinking of going to Willcox Playa or somewhere in that area of the state this week (though I know there is a bird festival Thurs-Sat).