Nugget Shooter Forums

Went to Malibu Beach Today

I didn't find any gold rings, but I did find more lead than I've ever found in my total history of metal detecting.

A total of 6 lbs. 5 Oz worth.

The big piece was an ingot with a stamp that said BUNCKER HILL. The rest were fishing weights.

I did a little research and there appears to be a BUNCKER HILL MINING company. And they did product lead.

They have a long history 1887 -1984. I wonder how old this ingot is and how it came to be resting a few hundred feet from Malibu beach?

When I saw the stamp, I was thinking Oh God I really hope this is silver.... but today was lead day....

I hope everyone else had a fun weekend.

Cheers

post-26507-0-86923600-1389494614_thumb.j

Your idea was great as going to beaches frequented by rich folks DEFINATELY pay the best as huge egos mandate that ungodly expensive jewelry go too. Laguna Niguel, Cardiff,Topanga,Zuma and others pay the best BUT since the advent of mechanical beach cleaning monster trash truck sized cleaners, finds down 90% at least as most efficent. Cuts in the banks/in the water still produce much better than dry sands. John

Since tide was in the negative range, I was out near the water line on the rocks. So no beach cleaning there, no sand either. It was a pain to dig up a signal as the ground was compact and full of crabs and other life, so I tried not to hurt them.

It was fun, and I got to use my new ATX, and see how well it would do in those conditions.

So far I haven't found any old coins at the beach... probably due to the beach cleaning.

Can't wait to go to the beach again. This time I'll try a different area where they are less likely to clean the beach mechanically.

Cheers,

I never really thought about recasting the lead I find (and keep) into bullets. What with the EPA shutting down the last American lead smelter in Missouri, I think I'll continue to hold on to that lead! HagenT: Sounds to me like you were on a spot close to bedrock for all that lead to be concentrated under your coil. That's the zone where I used to find coins -- mixed with the lead (when I used to beach hunt).

Hi Martin,

The tide was so low, I was far enough out that on a high tide day surfers would be where I was detecting. I was amazed that people could cast a lead weight that far out.

I was hoping to find rings or coins for that matter. I didn't find any coins, but I did find a number of aluminum can tops, bottoms and two AA batteries, and a part of a circuit board.

I packed out all the junk, the least I could do for disturbing all those crabs...:)

HagenT,

Try Leo Carillo beach, south of the lifeguard tower, I use to work for Malibu diving down PCH. We use to take loads of people to that beach for their first beach dive. You can park right of PCH and walk down the steps to the beach...just left of the steps is where the sand is. Many of our students lost tons of lead weights, and diving equipment do to exist in the surf. Lead could be gold in the future....:)

Back in the 80 we hit cabrillo after a storm and hit a 2 foot cut so solid with coins/rings/junk we spend many hours on knees/butt. So many hits you need not even get up. Had all 4 a my kids digging like mad,what a epic day. Miss the old museum but new aquarium is a MUST for any family-John

Thanks! I was planning to either Zuma or Leo Carillo. Think I'll head to Leo first... It's been awhile since I've been to that beach.

If you think about it, lead is about the only metal you can cast at home that is currently plentiful...

Cheers,