Nugget Shooter Forums

I found these two coins in LA my first week using detector ever

Hi everyone thought the forum might like to see my first confirmed finds... I found these two Copper/Bronze AD 360 coins about 3 feet apart at a relic site here in Los Angeles that was known to have miners/prospectors/treasure hunters regularly staying there, so I went to check it out. And found these my first visit, within minutes, I have been back for many hours to same spot, but have found nothing since...

There used to be a very old house there, but it was razed, the owner was a Very Wealthy Industrialist and also was a Mason. I don't know how these coins got there, but Nuns were also known to have stayed there at one point so who knows?

They are ANT Julian II, Contstantius II copper/bronze coins possibly recovered from a wreck. I found out they aren't worth that much so I cleaned them with mild acid and toothbrush to try to remove some of the black corrosion to try to help ID Them. After I did, it showed they still had lot more detail left, I hesitated to mess with them of course at further damaging them and sacrificing the cost of the originality of their condition when found (black and barely visible) Below are shots of my coins and a couple examples I could verify on the net as well

post-27048-0-65600100-1389482270_thumb.j

post-27048-0-40165100-1389482286_thumb.j

post-27048-0-57901000-1389482308_thumb.j

post-27048-0-57294100-1389482326_thumb.j

post-27048-0-80173700-1389482343_thumb.j

post-27048-0-84495000-1389482455_thumb.j

post-27048-0-65282600-1389482515_thumb.j

post-27048-0-41184300-1389482702_thumb.j

post-27048-0-59229800-1389484998_thumb.j

post-27048-0-52150900-1389485030_thumb.j

post-27048-0-89272000-1389485141_thumb.j

Edited by metalman333

like a box of chocolate! yer..

so true should have seen my jewelers friend's face, I told him what I found the night before (the joe dirt) so he came along that day, doubting I would find anything pretty much razzin me a bit.. as any skeptic would and that was cool....friendly banter back and forth... He knew I was new to the hobby, and coins, and unlike me, he knew what they were as I found them, the look on his face... was just wagging his head back and forth back and forth lo. These might be worth 20$ only but that image will be seared in my memory forever... and was priceless to me.. hahah

Edited by metalman333

beautiful finds and as has been said, quite unexpected for that area.

thanks flak, ya I got tons of of people saying I was full of BS for posting about it on a detector forum that I just joind, .but I don't care! I KNOW I found them just as I said and where I said! hahahah

I just hope there are more :) I love the scanner idea beeper bob gave me, so :whenever I have a cool coin find, I will use the scanner from now on....it did a nice job its neat to learn cool tricks like this.. Joining this place has already paid off!

Edited by metalman333

Once physically cleaned value drops like a ROCK as the worst thing you can do. I worked a park in Garden Grove when I was living down there for a few years right adjacent to my house. Some kids raided their relatives/friends massive coin collection and I found 1,000s of foreign and old coins from all over the world up to 220+ years old. Put up ads but no replies so turned into cops and got back in a year-John

ya they went from 20$ down to 5$ I wont clean the next finds like this I just wanted to see what they looked like below...

wow.. what a cool story you have. . so the kids lost 1000s of the coins in the park and you found them? that's what I think happened here the kids were playing with some of Dad's collection and lost 2 of them. :)

Edited by metalman333

Just my tic. There was tons of weird foreign coins found from that time and way before. People was getting around back then.

Aloha metakman333,

You say that these were found at a location that was owned by a wealthy industrialist and that you believe that nuns lived at this pot for a while. Is this house located in Encino,Ca.? Just asking because I have an older Sister in the Sisters of Social Services living with a bunch of nuns at their retirement home that was once owned by a silent movie producer by the name of Hayes. It is a LARGE mansion/estate just off Wilshire and Hayvenhurst. I used to metal detect the grounds before they had a $10 million renovation to the property and found quite a few coins and jewelry up around their pond and orchard area. I can only imagine what was buried once the area was hit with the bulldozer and construction took over. Nice finds!

Aloha and stay well,

Stan aka Kaimi

Know the area pretty well and what a great place to detect older mansions. I went to North Hollywood High and Uncle lived in Encino whilst I was in Woodland Hills for a few years. Plent of old money up Mulholland,topanga and such. Great story thanx-John