Nugget Shooter Forums
jpuisis

Gold Bug Pro

I have a GB Pro that I bought last year and I would like to know what any of you more experienced nugget shooters think of the machine ? Have you found any nuggets with yours.

I found a 1 gram nugget my first trip out with mine : super lucky , in the road to . nothng since but junk ... once you cancel out VDI 33 and other numbers will beeb not grunt .seems gold hits from 45 to 65 but when it says 50 - 55 its in the gold spectrum .

I've had gold hit in the 20-30 range too....

I really like the ease of using this machine and the fact that it only weighs about 2 pounds. But so far all I've found is junk. Although some of the junk was so small that if it would have been gold I would have found it. We are going to Bill's outing next month,so maybe it will be my turn to find that first nugget.

Fantastic little detector, one of the best values out there in my opinion. I really like mine with the 10" x 5" DD coil. The best nugget I found with mine this summer was 9.1 grams. I've paid for it a couple times over.

post-514-0-22988400-1389328942_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've had gold hit in the 20-30 range too....

what did you dig up in the 20-30 range ?

You gotta be kiddin , you can detect nuggets with ALL the Fisher Gold Bug models, they are very capable machines.
Hapy Huntn

• Like 1

As usual when the hype slows there are many for sale. I know of 7-8 who got them-3 sold-2 closet queens BUT I have 1,000s of nugget pics from those who took the time to learn. I now have 2 at my disposal 24/7 if I want. I've used them and don't have the time to learn properly as my eyes are on the underwater Minelab and ATX new machines. If you want to make that GB Pro REALLY work beyond it's current capabilities change the coil. The 12" x 14" Excelerator SEF Pro coils does amazing things to performance. Quiets down the chatter,increases depth at LEAST 30% to feets,the whole coil is hot(spider web style) increases the sensitivity(current example a few days ago-3 flakes appx. 4" and weight was 1/2 gram for ALL 3 total weight). Now more sensitive than my beloved ol'GB2 and waaaaaaaaay more depth,quieter by far. I have no knowledge as to how this new coil is made BUT worth every penney. No I don't sell only a proven fan as the nuggets pile up by the ounces already this year a lousy 10 days in.3 sets a folks Folks want privacy 100% for personal reasons so I can show pics to folks but NO posting as not my gold..sorry-John

Thanks for all of the input guys. This really perks up my spirit. I guess if I keep at it I'll finally break the no-nugget spell. I tried hunting years ago with a Whites DFX and a Tesoro Bandito ll and although they were pretty good coin machines I never found any nuggets with them. I bought this Gold Bug Pro and thought the nuggets would pile up like crazy. I guess I just haven't put enough time in on the washes yet. Any more stories or advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

H-2

They were small, 2-3 grain size pieces. Came thru with low readings until they were on the surface.

I never trust a meter. use as a guide but don't trust it.

Edited by LipCa

My dad uses the GB2 and likes it. He has popped a few nuggets with it also.

If your down in Quartzsite hunting, your hunting areas that have had VLF type machines over it for20 plus years.

I would suggest you get out of the regular hunting areas and explore (new) areas around there.

Or at least hike up the side of a mountain and detect...try to go where others dont want to go.

Flip over rocks and detect under them, move debris and detect under it.

Detect hillsides......THere is still a lot of open land down there to detect on and you dont have to be

in a club.

Tom H.

I have had My GB pro for a couple years now and like it a lot. I also have the 5x10 DD coil for it .

The thing I like about the GB Pro the most is,

going over to other peoples holes when they yell an say, I LOST THE TARGET...

Then I find it for then with the GB pro !

Same here extractor, you can use the edge of that thing and pinpoint the smallest of nuggets. Tom usually finds the targets and then I come over with the Pro and pinpoint it when he can't with the humongous coil he uses sometimes to get the small stuff. If you can detect very slow and learn the differnt tones and sharpness of sounds, use the meter as a guide, you can do very well with that machine. What I like about it is that it is very lite as I am up there in years and need all my energy to get in and out rather than carry a heavy beeper. The 5x10 coil is good for exploring but I stick mostly to the small coil in bedrock and such. Not good in ironstone country, drives you nuts.

old Tom

New coil and problems are gone and no loss on sensitivity. It's like comparing a concentric to a dd or a JS Big Foot,different coils make machines do different things.-John

Thanks, jpuisis for this post. I too am among the ranks of the GBPro owners who have yet to beep a nugget. I completely share the feeling, after lurking on this forum for quite a while (which is a Fantastic site, thanks Bill you are the man!), that if you don't swing a GPX 5000 or GB2 then you are in the minority. Which, in turn, has made me doubt my choice in detectors (a choice made after a lot of research). I can find minuscule pieces of lead in my home territory (North Fork Santiam) which carries very little coarse gold. However, when I went to southern Oregon the ground/bedrock was hot like the sun and I could have dented my coil on a 20oz nugget and I wouldn't have been able to tell it was metal.

I can't afford a nice PI, and really I am confident that the GBPro is an adequate VLF. I am wondering though, especially after reading posts by Hoser John and Steve Hershbach, if I could significantly improve my chances by getting a new coil. Right now I am using the stock 5"DD coil, if anyone could offer advice to me on the NEED of a new coil, and WHICH coil would be the one to run on super hot ground in southern Oregon I would be super appreciative.

Truthfully, the convincing is for my wife, who somehow thinks that finding my wedding ring (after losing it prospecting) doesn't count as my detector having paid for itself...

Thanks everybody for being so helpful and offering such great advice/expertise to those of us who have a passion.

As usual when the hype slows there are many for sale. I know of 7-8 who got them-3 sold-2 closet queens BUT I have 1,000s of nugget pics from those who took the time to learn. I now have 2 at my disposal 24/7 if I want. I've used them and don't have the time to learn properly as my eyes are on the underwater Minelab and ATX new machines. If you want to make that GB Pro REALLY work beyond it's current capabilities change the coil. The 12" x 14" Excelerator SEF Pro coils does amazing things to performance. Quiets down the chatter,increases depth at LEAST 30% to feets,the whole coil is hot(spider web style) increases the sensitivity(current example a few days ago-3 flakes appx. 4" and weight was 1/2 gram for ALL 3 total weight). Now more sensitive than my beloved ol'GB2 and waaaaaaaaay more depth,quieter by far. I have no knowledge as to how this new coil is made BUT worth every penney. No I don't sell only a proven fan as the nuggets pile up by the ounces already this year a lousy 10 days in.3 sets a folks Folks want privacy 100% for personal reasons so I can show pics to folks but NO posting as not my gold..sorry-John

Hoser do you have a model number for the 12 X 14 SEF Procoil to fit a GB Pro? I do not see one listed for the GB Pro anywhere.

Bill S. do you have these coils?

Just curious but who did the modification and what was done to change it? Mike

• Like 1

who makes this coil 4 gb pro ? i want one

what was done to change it? Mike

Probably just fresh batteries

who makes this coil 4 gb pro ? i want one

According to a post in this thread it's made by Excelerator a Hungarian company. I emailed the US retailer and was told a model is not made for the GB Pro. ?????

So, as a general consensus, the Gold Bug Pro with the 5" and 5 X 10" coils would be an OK machine to take on Bill's outing and over to Quartzite ?

Edited by jpuisis

Roundhouseman

I am with Mike waiting for info on who does the modification on the Gold Bug Pro and what is done

thanks Renegade Bob

So, as a general consensus, the Gold Bug Pro with the 5" and 5 X 10" coils would be an OK machine to take on Bill's outing and over to Quartzite ?

YES ! :head:

Jpuisis,

I agree with most, the GB Pro is a sweet little detector, super easy to learn to operate and works great in most ground. I also prefer the 5 x 10 coil but the 5" round works just fine too, I just prefer the extra ground coverage of the elliptical coil.