Nugget Shooter Forums

getting the best value on gold in quartz - ore specimens

How does one determine the best VALUE when buying gold in quartz or gold ore specimens? Very few of the listings show an estimated gold weight which would help in that regards. Any suggestions?

It is all in how you value the piece. I sell quartz / gold by estimating the gold content by eye along with the rarity of the piece. Does it have extraordinary shapes or unique visual properties. Does it have some quartz within the piece or is it just all gold? Do you want value in gold weight, if so, purchase placer as it is impossible to get actual gold weights in quartz as not all quartz is the same. Also, you have voids and other elements within the specimen to consider if trying to use specific gravity as your measurement. I have visible gold on some specimens but have a negative value when attempting to weight using SG. Another consideration is not all gold is apparent in specimens. How much is really there?

My thoughts are the value is in the rarity. Gold specimens from the Original 16 to 1 mine will hold a premium over the same looking specimen from another source. Our gold has a higher gold content than the Original 16 but I would not value ours higher because of this.

We only offer dimensions on the larger specimens. Anything that fits within a 1" cube magnified display container does not have dimensions or weights listed as we call these pieces "micro-specimens". I think most collectors consider a specimen as "palm sized" or larger.

It all comes down to "do you just love the piece". Just like buying a car.

Edited by GeoJack

Whenever you appraise or give value to something one of the first criteria you use is to compare your object against similar objects. In this case there must be some type of weight (total weight) or size given so you can compare it to other sales prices (comps).

If you are looking at a small size/weight specimen then the collector value is high (maybe 3,4, 5x gold value) and the gold value (spot price value) is low. When considering the collector value you must bid against others who know that market.

If you are looking at larger multiple ounce samples then the collector value becomes lower and the gold value becomes more important.

If you are looking at higher price items then the number of bidders or sources for you to sell it at a later time is limited.

And finally if you are looking at museum quality (what is that?) then you have a piece that is so unique it should be obtained or sold through a dealer because their 'word and handling' gives it stability and value.

If you don't have a specimen now and these are some of your first purchases I would have to see them first and not buy them directly off the internet. Go to a local dealer or prospector.

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

Most reputable dealers that sell gold and quartz species will include a specific gravity test that will show the weight of the gold in the specimen on the larger pieces. And almost always will the total weight be included even on small pieces.

• Like 1

We offer large images of our smaller pieces so if you want to share the experience of ownership you can download them to your phone or tablet. Agree with Mitchel, we are currently selling into gem and mineral shops and mining supply shops with current customer base. Preparation and mounting of the specimens is critical to the overall value as well.

post-25522-0-14555300-1389294053_thumb.j

Seeing the piece will sell it. Images from a microscope don't do them justice.

If our smaller specimens fall below .1 g we don't show the weight as it is insignificant and being that it is in a 1" cube the dimensions are clearly apparent. We now have three locations distributing our pieces, the State Mining and Mineral Museum is one, and them as well as all others we have shown our pieces to are very happy with our packaging and description. Most are very adamant that one of the real values is the location the gold came from. Providence.

Anything about 5g and above are measured, weighed and displayed in larger cases. Nobody, and I mean nobody has yet asked about gold content in our talks / sales. The piece talks for itself and their customer's base their purchases on the piece, not the gold content unless they buy placer.

Steve, I'm always learning, do you have any examples of your comments about SG usage in the pricing? Would like to view them.

16 to 1 mine only shows dimensions and total weights, not gold content, unless the troy ounces they mentioned are what they calculated via SG but they don't mention this. Their biggest stuff only show dimensions. No weights.

"From the "Whopper" to "Kid Rocks", the Sixteen to One has produced magnificent specimen rock throughout the years. The glistening gold is historically 84% pure as it comes from the mine. The gold in the majority of our specimens is embeded in an illuminous white quartz matrix. Certification provides the location and date mined for larger specimens."

Crystalline Gold and Quartz Specimen
565A

size 30x20x15 mm.

weight .48 troy ounces

SOLD

Price: $1525.00

565A_31913.jpg

This is all I mostly find as well when surf'n the net. As the various quartz weights can vary, how do they know what value to use in the calculation? I have very distinctively different quartz weights, from marble quartz to void filled with dirt quartz just with my pieces. I am sure the SG of these two type vary greatly.

I would never rely on SG for disclosing gold content for my customers based on the type quartz we have. WYSIWYG.

Edited by GeoJack

Most reputable sellers will give a gold weight for their pieces. The best ones will include an independent quanative specific gravity. While others like geoJack will sell by the piece.......

• Like 1

I smash mine and send it to the refiners. I typically get 85% after fees. I have grown tired of wasting a day and having a buyer tell me how little my specimen is worth and then see it on his website marked up 150%. I do have a short list of buyers that I enjoy dealing with so they get a chance to buy if they need what I have.

Like P.T. Barnum once said,................Theres a seat for every ass !!!!!!!
Meaning whatever the piece SOMEBODY will cherish it !!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :old:

• Like 1

The species may be worth a fortune to you,but in reality if you looking for cash it's only worth what someones willing to pay.I've heard over the years that the snowbirds at the Quartzite flea market in Arizona pay good prices for species and nuggets.Along a similar theme,all the species I ever found the quartz was too soft to do much with jewellery wise.

Edited by David Wiseman

Looks of the species,just like women, determine their worth along with a good ol specific gravity test,non destructive spectroanalysis as to kt proof,proper mounting , etching for enhancement and THEN trying to let go of that righteous thang is truly the hardest part. I don't buy gold,maybe a dozen times in 58 years and only sell the crumbs from the plate a plenty. Northern Nevada Gold has the photography, mounting and process down for selling down pat. Good website to go to for good examples to follow. John

.Along a similar theme,all the species I ever found the quartz was too soft to do much with jewellery wise.

Not interested in jewelry grade specimens. Just plain ugly ones with gray quartz will do. Can't see paying a premium for what are essentially gold ore samples. (no offense meant) Trying to find something for educational purposes and yet "inexpensive" compared to 16 to 1 specimens and others.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, need some help, I'll list dry (A) and wet (W) weights on some rocks and somebody please give me the approximate gold content.

I'm beating my head against the wall trying to get some numbers.

here are a couple:

A W

1125 675

1070 650

585 358

525 322

462 282

338 194

Just to check my numbers I grabbed a random quartz rock and did the weights on it, 244 dry and 148 wet, 2.54 SG instead of the 2.65 suggested.

Edited by GeoJack

Do you have this ore with quartz only? If you have something else then you would need to use a specific gravity of something other than 2.60-2.65 range which is for quartz. Something is making your rocks float. Did you use your SG of 2.54? I just did and it still does not work.

My two specimens weigh about 2/3rds dry/wet. They are not 'ore' and were found in washes.

Edited by mn90403
  • 6 years later...

Hello, I'm not sure I'm in the right place but, I do have a question. In Arizona where can I sell my gold nuggets and gold in quartz .

I'm not having any luck on the net. This is gold I have held on to for years not knowning where to sell it. 

I'm just a woman, I'm not out there prospecting so I dont even know if there are prospecting places around..

15 minutes ago, corvette said:

Hello, I'm not sure I'm in the right place but, I do have a question. In Arizona where can I sell my gold nuggets and gold in quartz .

I'm not having any luck on the net. This is gold I have held on to for years not knowning where to sell it. 

I'm just a woman, I'm not out there prospecting so I dont even know if there are prospecting places around..

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not in Arizona but I'm sure there are gold buyers in many places, post your general location in Arizona and someone may be able to point you to a place local to you.

That all being said, you can also post an ad to possibly sell your gold in our classifieds section, good photos would be a plus in trying to sell the gold, most gold posted in our  classifieds usually sells rather quickly if not way over priced.