Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metalman333

is this meteorite? very heavy/magnetic/shiny like nickle

The video shows the molded metal. If that shot overflows the mold or runs out of the side of the mold it is exposed to oxygen and turns black.

Ask a welder how it works...they are familiar with flux and oxidation.

Suffice to say that this is an easily identifiable earthy alloy that shows obvious signs of being molten in an oxygen environment.

We are telling it how it is buddy. You seem to be fascinated by it all and that is cool. That hunk of metal is teaching you a whole lot. I found a button one time with a metal detector that led to six months research about the buffalo soldiers.

By the time you accept the fact that it could not be a meteorite you will be more knowledgable. If you are really stubborn you might be a geologist before you throw that rock away. :)

Here is a shot of the completed Calweld connection. it seems the right size sorta,and color and your right the composition seems right too, best poss so far IMHO>

Although that connection is hollow at points, but my "meteor" is very DENSE and solid whatever is, so if it is CW, it HAS to be the center portion of it the rest got chipped mangled off.

I posted a close up pic of the finished weld, after they knocked the slag off it and it was clean when finished? Also I still don't have a good explanation (in my mind) how the crust is STILL covering all OVER the deformations in the copper? IF it was encrusted FIRST when it was made, lets say they left the slag on it, but then hit the chipper blades (which created the mottling) those spots should be clean of "fusion" signs right?

but they are not. they are ALSO Covered in black crusting? So this HAS to mean the mottling/deformations it has, were made DURING THE heating or BEFORE the heating process took place in order to leave a "crust" over them? Unless I am missing something here?

post-27048-0-26094600-1389377300_thumb.j

Exactly. The piece you hold is in its original shape. No chipper, no flight through the atmosphere, no ablation. Just a lump of molten weld metal.

Your picture is what a cadweld looks like when it is done properly. Your specimen is what a cadweld looks like when it ran out the side of the mold and onto the ground. Get it?

Lets give it a rest while you go investigate. Look up the spec sheet for cadweld and thermoweld and get the number for an analysis lab to do your metallurgy. By the time your tests come back you will have some examples of different weld metals to compare them too.

Your metal will have traces of thermite and the flux in it. This will prove it is some sort of weld metal. There will also be some other metals in the rock that will not commonly be found outside of the welding industry. You can probably test for these cheaper and come to the same conclusions.

Exactly. The piece you hold is in its original shape. No chipper, no flight through the atmosphere, no ablation. Just a lump of molten weld metal.

Your picture is what a cadweld looks like when it is done properly. Your specimen is what a cadweld looks like when it ran out the side of the mold and onto the ground. Get it?

Lets give it a rest while you go investigate. Look up the spec sheet for cadweld and thermoweld and get the number for an analysis lab to do your metallurgy. By the time your tests come back you will have some examples of different weld metals to compare them too.

Your metal will have traces of thermite and the flux in it. This will prove it is some sort of weld metal. There will also be some other metals in the rock that will not commonly be found outside of the welding industry. You can probably test for these cheaper and come to the same conclusions.

possible yea, makes sense to test it gonna be the only way to know what it is... and what is ISNT. :)

but how do explain the "fusion" crust all over it" and the IRON in it? Does AP bullets have lead or iron in them?

It's easily explained because it is not fusion crust. I can see how someone who doesn't know what FC looks like would think that's what it should look like, but as someone who's been staring at FC for 30 years I can tell you it is not. I believe it has been answered numerous times in this thread what it is you are seeing.

Being a total gnoob and new to all of this and admitting it openly (I know nothing).

I have to tell you as a newbie to the community of Meteor's that Im a bit flabberghasted at the lack of info/pictures about/showing the World one of the most famous meteorites Harvey ever Found/collected - the Eaton Co. "copper" meteorite? If copper meteorites don't exist then I can assume this thing I have is def slag or man made, but if they do I cant discount my find until I have something to compare it to? If I gave up that would be unscientific.

I would LOVE to see what that thing looked like if nothing else just to see the darned thing up close to see what Harvey tried to duplicat but couldn't...... But zip.. zero nada.. nothing.. I find it strange.

And, From what I can tell from limited research on it, that it was one of the MOST controversial Meteors he ever studied and tried his ENTIRE LIFE to duplicate the flow found on that one, on Earth. and couldn't, from what I read it changed his entire view of meteors,

So Where is this famous meteorite?

How come there are no pictures on the Net for the Eaton Co. Meteor? Other than some lame black and white? Just amazes me as a newbie to this whole thing why that one seems to be ignored/invisible?

What is the view in the modern Meteor community about the Eaton "copper" Meteorite?

post-27048-0-33433500-1389400935_thumb.j

post-27048-0-45757800-1389400971_thumb.j

Hi Metalman,

It doen't look like any of the iron meteorites that I have seen, especially the texture. If there are any meteorite people in your area,

have them look at it.

Good Hunting, Ben

It might be a thermite copper/lead/nickel nugget just as bob/mike said, its the best guess if its NOT a meteor....after searching the net I found some images of thermite slugs that match closely what I have in my hand, it was man made with Nickel. So more likely I have a nickel/copper thermite slug/nugget in my hand if it is man made.

http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Thermite.html#NiO

I read that Nickel is found in meteors, looking at this shot compared to the other metal combinations they created with thermite, it looks like Nickel, Im wondering if its it the nickel that ALSO makes the characteristic scoop/petal shapes in real meteors when they are created/heated in space?

Also it appears this mottling/scoop/petaling- can be made with thermite on earth, the scoops can be seen when made naturally due to heat in space, but man made one can ALSO do this obviously, through thermite reactions here on earth.

Not sure if other metals do this scoop/petaling? Or just nickel? I also found out Nickel is magnetic (didn't think it was) so if there in nickel in this that would account for magnetism. Its so heavy for its size it feels like lead in there too...

There is obviously some copper/iron In this thing I have, but looking at this pic below I think maybe some nickel too they are eerily the same in texture shape and even in color though mine appears to my eye to be more "copperlike" so maybe it contains more copper than Nickel.?

On the site the copper oxide thermite example, didn't really match mine as well as the Nickel one did, so I think there might be Nickel in this.

No expert on heated metals and how they react, but those scooped out sections and other formations match what I have in my hand very closely almost EXACTLY so Im thinking there is nickel in this along with the copper that leaves the patina. I checked the solid copper thermite (copper oxide) One, and it does not have this same characteristic scoop shapes as the nickel one.

Not sure if Nickel is commonly used in thermite reactions in industry involving copper, but I guess its possible just as they add nickel to steel to make stainless steel making it more durable?

I could safely say if someone found that nugget like these pictured below, they would THINK it was from space.. just as I did with mine... Not saying what I have in my hand was not made in space, (anything is possible) but these man made ones look very close/exact to what I have and prove it can be man made to look similar.

post-27048-0-53451500-1389423407_thumb.j

post-27048-0-50795500-1389423436_thumb.j

post-27048-0-29621500-1389423456_thumb.j

post-27048-0-00852400-1389423523_thumb.j

post-27048-0-82198900-1389423920_thumb.j

Hi Metalman,

It doen't look like any of the iron meteorites that I have seen, especially the texture. If there are any meteorite people in your area,

have them look at it.

Good Hunting, Ben

thanks ben, its probably a thermite slug of copper/nickel/iron which makes for a pretty convincing meteor to a gnoob like myself.

If so, I feel like cleaning it up, I bet its kinda gorgeous under the crust..

If I was sure its man made thermite vs heated in space (and I am becoming more convinced its thermite reaction metal)

I would clean it just to see what it looks like under there. :)

I could safely say if someone found that nugget like these pictured below, they would THINK it was from space.. just as I did with mine...

The only people that would think that are people that do not know anything about meteorites.

Cleaned the crust off and this is what is under it. Another huge question to be answered about this thing is why is it magnetic?

The crust appeared to be ironlike, with rust spots all black in color like slag, but the interior, is mostly made up of a copper/brass colored metal from what I can tell, and seems to be a bit lighter in color than copper fitting in person. when compared to penny or copper fitting this really looks like brass or something. In person it looks like some copper/gold nugget.

it really feels like lead in the hand so who knows what is in it. Im sure they would probably never have a need to add gold to a copper/brass/nickel thermite cad weld slug/union? But there might be a case for it in some applications that needs higher current or something.. I can ask Cadweld Co. .

My hunch is, if this is a thermite slug, they added some Nickel to the copper slug. If enough iron was present when they added the nickel it makes the nickel magnetic. Nickel might have been added to the copper/iron in thermite stage as they add it to steel to make it more resistant, - stainless steel which is very resistant to corrosion because of the nickel in it. this would also account for the scooping/petals of metal similar to that Nickel thermite example I posted found here among others- here

http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Thermite.html

"Other, more exotic forms of thermite can also be produced. Using other metal Oxides, one can produce other, sometimes more powerful, blends of thermite. For instance, substituting Copper(II) Oxide for Iron Oxide in a thermite mixture can produce a very brightly burning reaction which yields Copper metal as a result. Although Copper Oxide thermite is probably the most common of the exotic thermites, one could also use other metal Oxides such as Tin Oxide, Lead Oxide, or any other metal Oxide which could be reacted with a reducing metal (such as Aluminum or Magnesium). They key is that the reducing metal must be sufficiently higher on the activity series than the metal Oxide in order to support the single replacement reaction."

post-27048-0-34299000-1389509428_thumb.j

post-27048-0-14292500-1389509475_thumb.j

post-27048-0-95341300-1389509487_thumb.j

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQEb5h2uC_4

at 2:23 it gets interesting - yup, there's joe's cousin getting knocked into the dirt. joe dirt. Come to think of it there is probably a ground nearby for the swingsets/junglebars, they are very close to where I found this.

It even has the small hole at top similar to my chunk..case closed for me, still interesting looking magnetic bit of copper.alloy

! thanks for all your help esp you Bob pointing me in the right direction to get to the bottom of it :)

Still want to find out about Eaton Meteorite regardless! thanks

We'll I'll be damned, it's not a meteorite?! This thread was very entertaining to me. By the second or third page I was laughing out loud every time I read the word " wood chipper." I think it's ok for me to poke a little fun. After all I'm in the same boat, you can find a post less than a year old on here where I was convinced the best way to get gold was to bring buckets of bone dry dirt to a river and sluice the dirt and hand wash each stone, as opposed to just dry washing. Some of my own posts just a few months old make me "face palm"

We'll I'll be damned, it's not a meteorite?! This thread was very entertaining to me. By the second or third page I was laughing out loud every time I read the word " wood chipper." I think it's ok for me to poke a little fun. After all I'm in the same boat, you can find a post less than a year old on here where I was convinced the best way to get gold was to bring buckets of bone dry dirt to a river and sluice the dirt and hand wash each stone, as opposed to just dry washing. Some of my own posts just a few months old make me "face pa

nope when I found that vide you could clearly match the two, I looked at others last week never saw this one, it took some digging.. to get video proof that I thought matched. Once I saw this I knew bob/mike was right !00% its interesting this process makes copper magnetic..and does a fine job of making nuggets/odd looking metal hunks too with interesting characteristics and shape designs. I might use it as nice base for my authentic Roman coins.. looks pretty cool with them on it.