Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metalman333

is this meteorite? very heavy/magnetic/shiny like nickle

hi everyone Im new here and would like some help to ID this find... any suggestions to verify welcome as well !

I found this in about 10" of playground bark on my FIRST night using a detector (testing it to see if it worked)

I thought it was an old lead bullet (it felt so heavy in my hands) at first, but when I looked closer in the light I saw it was shiny and covered with tiny little black balls and appeared to be heated at some point, so was hoping its Meteor?

It is highly magnetic

post-27048-0-91415800-1389285913_thumb.j

post-27048-0-52497100-1389285952_thumb.j

post-27048-0-55235700-1389285989_thumb.j

post-27048-0-98730400-1389286019_thumb.j

Hard to tell from the photos, but I would not rule it out ... Do a streak test on bare porcelain such as underneath the toilet tank lid ... If it streaks black or red it probably is not a meteorite. Cheers, Unc

Now that one is an interesting find. I'm anxious to see a window in that one. The knobby texture is interesting.

I don't think it is a meteorite but iId bet it isn't hematite or slag either. I am interested in what Mike says. If I had found the rock I would solicit his input on it for sure.

That may be the most likely candidate for a meteorite that I have seen posted in a long while. I really like the shape and size. From one side it looks very much like an iron meteorite. I am certainly no expert at IDing space rocks though.

You need to file a window in that rock and take a peek inside. After you grind a flat spot, polish it up with a piece of 400 wet paper and note the color of the cuttings. That is your "streak". That would be the next step in identification while you are waiting on a better opinion than mine.

Make sure you file a window in it before doing the streak test and make your streak with the window as to get the interior of the rock touching the ceramic.

Thank you for the feedback and tips! It scores the lid with thin dark lines lines when hitting the interior edges of the metal (some brown stuff came off first dirt assuming) when it hit the metal it was dark and thin for sure. What color should it be if any:? Its hard to tell. thanks...

It is very shiny in spots and there is some dirt on it, I think, I wire brushed it a bit, and saw the bright spots under the brown stuff on those smoothed fat edges , should I clean it first? before trying the test? And with what CLR? or does it matter?

Im concerned cleaning it might remove some "evidence" of the burning of it from heat of entry, if I haven't already removed some with wire brush....Also under high mag I could see tiny black balls of something all over it ? that give it that texture you can see in the clear up close one. the pictures don't show them too well and I think I brushed some off, and those mottled spots are very bright as well underneath the brown crust like nickel would be, or chrome, and it is very heavy in hand unusually.

Hard to tell from the photos, but I would not rule it out ... Do a streak test on bare porcelain such as underneath the toilet tank lid ... If it streaks black or red it probably is not a meteorite. Cheers, Unc

I don't know why these guys are getting excited, your photos are so blurry you can barely tell it's a rock. Try some new photos outside in sunlight with camera on macro setting. Besides it not looking anything like a meteorite to me, given that you found it in mulch I'm going to say it's not a meteorite.

Never clean a meteorite or suspect meteorite with a wire brush, use an old toothbrush. Don't use tap water either, the Cl in it spells meteorite murder.

Meteorites do not burn during entry.

Can meteors be alloy's of other precious metals and iron?

Because I just cleaned the meteor with CLR (will take some pics) ..tell me what you see, and you be the judge,

its hard to tell with the light but to me the metal under the crust looks like gold to me really it does, could be copper or brass, but to the eye Its actually a yellowish/gold colored under high mag, and very bright and shiny like gold. that would account for the weight of the thing...could it be an alloy? Is this even possible? Its magnetic though? Could that be the iron portion of it? If they can have nickel can they also have gold in them? This would be amazing if it turns out this is gold/iron hunk, I didn't even test it because of its magnetism?

If this was brass it wouldn't be magnetic unless it is brass alloy hunk? and it is VERY heavy.. wow.. This is getting strange....

The reason to my eye it looked like nickel, because I didn't clean it well enough, I can see now those mottled spots on edges, was just darkened by a thin fine crust that the CLR took off, it looked like a burned crust hiding the metal just underneath. some of it broke away. It doesn't appear to be ALL this metal only parts of it.

I soaked it in CLR for a few moments, then brushed it with toothbrush, it broke of the crust over the metal portion, it looks yellowish! pictures do say a1000s words so I wont have to say its a shiny metal of some kind.

I know they are out of focus Ill try getting better ones, they were taken on cell phone (don't own macro lens) using jewelers loop over the cell camera lense. Its very challenging to do, and of course in color clarity, they don't do justice to what I see under the crust in the jeweler's loop! (fingers crossed). All around the hole there is shiny metal, and on the edges but portions of it are solid black/iron colored and rusty though I cant be sure what's under that.

post-27048-0-42701700-1389307106_thumb.j

post-27048-0-42088100-1389307107_thumb.j

post-27048-0-67800400-1389307108_thumb.j

post-27048-0-47313000-1389307109_thumb.j

some shots in sunlight (I agree) should be taken and was just doing that. PIctures don't reflect the actual colors these are taken with cell phone/jewlers loop.

:)

Can meteors be alloy's of other precious metals and iron? - No, meteors are ionized atmospheric gases that occur as a result of friction and pressure on a meteoroid body. Meteorites are not alloys of precious metals, they rarely contain trace amount of precious metals but that's it.

its hard to tell with the light but to me the metal under the crust looks like gold to me really it does, could be copper or brass, but to the eye Its actually a yellowish/gold colored under high mag, and very bright and shiny like gold. that would account for the weight of the thing...could it be an alloy? Is this even possible? Its magnetic though? Could that be the iron portion of it? If they can have nickel can they also have gold in them? This would be amazing if it turns out this is gold/iron hunk, I didn't even test it because of its magnetism?

If this was brass it wouldn't be magnetic unless it is brass alloy hunk? and it is VERY heavy.. wow.. This is getting strange.... Determine it's bulk density, that will help you identify it.

Did you read Mike's post? Don't use anything other than plain water. Use a soft brush. If you want to know what the inside of meteorites look like look here:

http://michaelbloodmeteorites.com/AuctionTucson2014.html

Mitchel

Not plain water, use DI water if you're going to use water at all. I prefer 90%+ isopropyl alcohol if any liquid is going to be used.

I soaked it in CLR for a few moments, then brushed it with toothbrush, it broke of the crust over the metal portion, it looks yellowish! pictures say a1000s words so I wont have to they don't do justice to what I see under the crust in the jewler's loop! (fingers crossed). All around the hole there is shiny metal, and on the edged but portions of it are solid black/iron colored though I cant be sure whats under that.

The only words your pictures are saying to me are "out of focus".

Not a meteorite.

sorry about being out of focus, im doing these on cell phone/holding jeweler's loop at same time its a bit challenging to see when they are in focus esp outside. I don't own a macro lens (though Im going to soon) Here are some shots in the sun, hard to tell what it is, it is a shiny yellow/copper metal to they eye, have to do should scratch test to find out if its gold or copper.

I read that meteors can be found combined with nickel? Is this true?

If so, then couldn't it also be combined with other precious metals, copper gold/platinum depending on the meteors core composition?

I was thinking about this as it entered (if it is) looks like it exploded at parts where the hole is, and maybe what we have left in my hand was larger at one point, and what is left of the meteor's just the solid core of what didn't burn off (the metals) in entry? Makes sense to me thinking about it.

Just curious I know nothing... thanks

post-27048-0-33382200-1389311261_thumb.j

Chances of finding a meteorite on the first night with a detector in a playground are almost nil.... I think it's some rusted man made object.

also found two confirmed roman coins from 363 AD a foot apart from each other the same week in different location :) People think im nuts.. but its true.. all of it. Not sure what this is and im not saying till im sure. Its interesting though its DEF an alloy of some kind since its magnetic and you can see the iron/rust but its NOT all iron I don't think..

I read that meteors can be found combined with nickel? Is this true?

If so, then couldn't it also be combined with other precious metals, copper gold/platinum depending on the meteors core composition?

See my previous responses in red above.

The surface of your find is much too rough and the physical descriptors are all wrong, it is almost certainly not a meteorite.

Its definitely copper or partial copper after cleaning I just noticed the most gorgeous green patina in the hole, and where that is wearing off its revealing more "copper" below it. but its solid whatever it is, and its magnetic so if its copper it MUST be an alloy then with quite a bit of Iron in it? Copper is non magnetic?

In person looking at the surface its very strange its DEF been through heat/scorching somewhere.

post-27048-0-80154400-1389313503_thumb.j

Probably industrial slag of some sort.

Did you read Mike's post? Don't use anything other than plain water. Use a soft brush. If you want to know what the inside of meteorites look like look here:

http://michaelbloodmeteorites.com/AuctionTucson2014.html

Mitchel

yes after I cleaned it lo... its all good, for now I guess.. I wanted to clean a portion of it to see what the metal looked like ,

Im a total gnoob but my gut tells me its legit, its very strange surface and to the eye its amazing up close and VERY heavy.. but hey I am NO expert.

at least this time I knew to use a toothbrush, though the wire brush was a toothbrush wire brush as well..:)

Probably industrial slag of some sort.

I was thinking an alloy copper coin maybe chopped up by chipper for the wood bark? I dunno the surface is just VERY strange in person when you see it up close, and it appears to definitely be heated to create that crust like that? I read they call it a "fusion crust"

whatever it is it is also VERY SOLID and dense and is copperlike but magnetic somehow

. Seems too thick for a coin though himmm

Did a google search for "copper in meteorites"

Which led me to a link about green fireballs and copper residue found after them, They are seen in SW, I am in SW.

What I have appears to be solid copper in spots, looks like the whole things been through massive heating forming a black crust, and it just looks like its from space/meteorite like to my untrained eye in person. I know pictures don't show everything clearly.

When copper burns it does make an eerie green hue....so maybe we have a solution to green fireballs, and an answer here to my find? what if this is a copper/iron meteorite?

There is def some kind of crust that appears to be a "fusion crust" covering it, with bright metal below that.

Could this be a copper green fireball meteorite? Im thinking maybe yes.

Mike Im a nobody that knows nothing, but something tells me this is not slag,..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_fireballs

and it appears to definitely be heated to create that crust like that? I read they call it a "fusion crust"

They call it fusion crust when it's on a meteorite, but meteorites do not appear melted as you describe yours. The very outer millimeter of a meteorite heats up enough to vaporize, leaving behind a smooth surface. Here's an example of fusion crust on an iron meteorite from my collection for comparison:

sikhoteAlin296g0.JPG