Nugget Shooter Forums

90 % of the time, I use this size coil for my Nugget-Hunting.

Well Christmas is over and the new year is on, and I am feeling like a need to spend some more of my hard earned cash on a new coil. My question is, tell me the coil of choice that you prefer to use most of the time in your area. Give me the brand, size, mono or DD and why you use this coil. I love all my coils, they all have a place in my hunting life....I do notice that at times I am using that one particular one most of the time. Sure I change em out once in a while depending on the site and conditions...but we all have that special one...so which one is it? Mine is the Commander 10x5 dd ....

Edited by Relichunter2

I bought two coils last year. A new Coiltek Platty and a used NF 18" Round Mono. The 18" has worked out well finding both gold and meteorites. It is also light. The Coiltek waterproof I have used to find things but when I hit the ground it pings off ... odd ... so that makes it limited in some areas. I have 4 other commander coils, one being a DD 11" but the NF found small and large gold for me.

Mitchel

Mitchel,

The 18 inch is a nice size coil, I have the NF 20" and I don't use it often but when I do need it I am glad I have it . But looking back I probably should have got the elleptical NF 17x11 a bit smaller and easier to get into those tighter areas. I also have the Platy..and I like it a lot very sensitive and of course its water proof, I do notice it at times gives me a broad ground noise momentarily with no target in the ground.

Fred

Edited by Relichunter2

If you run a Gold Bug Pro forget them fisher coils. The Excelerator SEF Pro EDS line (big 12" x 14" appx) turns them into a MUCH better unit,both for sensitivity and depth beyond reason. For a huge deep seeking coil to find 3 miniscule flakes that totaled 1/2 gram FOR ALL 3(that's 1/3 of 1/2 gram each) at 4+ inches or a 5 shot pepperbox at feets??? Well worth the price. MUCH more sensitive,less chatter ,better deeper good sounds and much more stable in hot HOT ground... no brainer. Testing going on for months and thought the fine folks on this forum should hear results. Testers want no pics,I have 100s a nugget pics of GB pro finds but not allowed to post as all 4 folks private as NO forums-John

Most of the ground I hunt is at best 8-12" to bedrock or 'resistance' (clay, caliche etc.) ... much of it is less than 6" to 'resistance' ... so my go to coil is the 8" round mono Commander.

For deeper ground out of the other 8 coils I use on the GPX 5000 is the NuggetFinder 17 elliptical mono. The remaining coils get maybe 5% of my time combined.

Mike F

Wow..amazing how popular that NF 17EM is .......this is the one on my list...you guys convinced me !! I have been using my commander 10x5 for a while...and I am happy with it. For kicks I decided to put on my Coiltek Platy Mono on today and found my first small nugg of the 2014 !! Weighed in at .7 grams....small, but sure made my day as I was skunked all of last December. Heading out tomorrow with the Platy to see if I can get more of that mellow yellow stuff.

I love my NFA 14x9 Super Lightweight elliptical Mono. Good ground coverage and maneuverability and super quiet. Smallest nugget found with it was .18gram! I got a half dozen other NFA, and Commander coils but the 14x9 is my go to skunk breaker! May your pan and scoop always be golden!