Nugget Shooter Forums
mn90403

Personal Best Nugget: Just the Facts Ma'am

All of us have a personal best nugget. As a result of other forums (people expecting big, easy finds) and a new personal best for myself I have become 'curious' about other prospectors here best (largest weight) nugget. (Some new or old prospectors might be surprised by other's best finds.)

Years ago when I met Jim Straight I was surprised to learn that his personal best was a very 'modest' nugget (but his quantity of nuggets is high) which just proves how difficult it is to find large ones. This is also a subject that some would like to keep secret and for this reason I would just like a 'just the facts (gold weight only)' posting of your Best Nugget.

My personal best is 8 ozt.

What is yours?

Mitchel

I'll go, largest was 6.8 grams with a detector. Funny thing was it was my first nugget with a detector. Still working on a 1/4 oz and above.

In 1976 was laying on my side with hand air-chisel digging a clay-gravel steak out, 3"-4" rock fell out, exposing a one gram nugget. We ran the four yards of gravel through a cement-mixer, and recovered 8+ oz.

The next biggest nugget in that run was only six grains.

Recovered a half gram nugget last spring, for the second biggest. So thing's are looking up, bob

My personal best was a 17+ dwt nugget, My uncle has a personal best of 6.4 oz, and a 3.4 oz and a 1.75 oz all in a two day span. Heres pictures

post-291-0-65388000-1389239531_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-68447200-1389239562_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My 6.14 solid slug. Found in the Motherlode Foothills with a GPX 4000, stock DD coil @ 14"

17 grams and was my second nugget ever. Got over the 1 oz mark in a single day of hunting, but it was multiple nuggets, still waiting for the 1oz slug to come along.

1.27 ozer for me. It was a tough one as it was 8 inches deep. I couldnt hear the detector anymore after the first sweep over it. :)

Pulled over 2 ounces out of a wash here in AZ. just under the I-17 overpass and the agua fria. :)

Tom H.

post-25308-0-57360400-1389257491_thumb.j

post-25308-0-98728300-1389257520_thumb.j

• Like 1

My largest was a 3.4 ounce gold and quartz specimen. Veins were really thin but interpersed equally throughout. Found some smaller 1-2 pennyweight crystalline pieces also with the most unique shapes. Unfortunately, I had to sell them all which was my biggest regret.

436 gram found it the day before my birthday....

436grSmall.jpg

with an old SD 2000 and Coiltek 18" mono at three foot deep in slave digs.

My birthday isn't for another couple of weeks yet....

guess I still got time huh Garimpo? Nice nugget. :yesss:

My birthday isn't for another couple of weeks yet....

guess I still got time huh Garimpo? Nice nugget. :yesss:

Go geet ya some purple underwear though! :)

Tom H.

• Like 1

Biggest specimen 18.64 oz., biggest placer 29.5 gm

post-25522-0-75723700-1389287551_thumb.j

post-25522-0-89841900-1389287663_thumb.j

My biggest so far is a 1.1 Ozt found with my ol' Baboo sd2100 & 14" NF E Mono ... Wasn't even seriously beeping, just walking up a wash and swinging my coil like a dufus ... ... It was up on a bench and I think the old timers had shoveled down to get to bedrock, scooping this bad boy and tossing it ... Was only down a couple inches ... It was the first and biggest of quite a few nuggets I found in this wash ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-58167200-1389296178_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-99827400-1389296261_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-69226500-1389296388_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Ron

My biggest so far is a 1.1 Ozt found with my ol' Baboo sd2100 & 14" NF E Mono ... Wasn't even seriously beeping, just walking up a wash and swinging my coil like a dufus ... ... It was up on a bench and I think the old timers had shoveled down to get to bedrock, scooping this bad boy and tossing it ... Was only down a couple inches ... It was the first and biggest of quite a few nuggets I found in this wash ... Cheers, Unc

No one with a metal detector swings like a dufus . :thumbsupanim

Thanks for the responses. I hope we are shedding some reality on the difficulty of finding 'big gold.' Let's also be clear that just because someone has found this gold in the past in many cases they don't own it any more. That is the way it is supposed to happen ... you look forward to getting more!

Mitchel

Mitchell...how true. I sold my whooper to a great friend. The proceeds built my jewelry studio so it was a great trade off for me. The thing is if I want to have a reunion with that nugget I can borrow it back on occasion.

Good job Adam.

I know there is a bit of a 'don't tell' attitude from some of the old timers but I hope they give us new prospectors what their larges have been only so we should not have expectations that are unrealistic.

Mitchel

Depends on how "old" I suppose and if you include guys who don't use computers or go to forums. I've seen photos and nuggets from some of the guys that used to hunt Meadview and Gold Basin in the early/mid 90's and there are a lot of guys out there who never go to the forums who have handfulls of 4+ oz'ers. Many solid slugs, some 10+oz quartz pieces with a very high percentage of gold.

Seen a couple from Quartzsite too. Then of course the stories which are commonplace that back in that general time frame it was not uncommon to have a 10+oz week. Or a prospector pulling 10 oz on a week vacation.

Of course, frequenting any of these places you realize that many of them were illegally bulldozing in addition to being some of the first people to hit the areas with decent metal detectors. Not to mention after doing this long enough you also realize that a lot of people are blatantly trespassing and claim jumping and claiming "ignorance". Gold Basin is the worst I've ever seen for that, hell people are digging massive excavations right next to the road on private land and waving as you drive by...shameless.

Just not many places a guy can find the lunkers left anymore since the big loud targets are the first to go, so it's just more rare for relatively newer guys to have a lot of bigger finds I think.

Jason,

You are right about land usage. The prevailing attitude there is that if someone is not personally protecting their property then you can detect or dry wash it.

Is there a 'I heard a story' thread here where people tell the old tales? I'm going to look.

Mitchel

My best from back in 2001 I think. 11.3 oz from waayy out in Nevada somewhere.. Minelab Extreme with 11" mono loop. 20 " deep in a shallow wash. Thought it was a tin can.

post-413-0-43471000-1389501982_thumb.jpg

WOW! Do you have a pic of it cleaned up?

You are right Jason. I have seen quite a few whoppers that may never be shown on a forum. As a matter of fact handfuls of whoppers and one nugget that is in the top 20 largest of state it was found in.

Edited by El Dorado

Cool yeah I'd like to see that one cleaned up too! Is there a lot of matrix attached or mostly solid?

Yep, in my experience the majority of whoppers that I've seen in person have not been posted to forums. I know a couple finders who lurk the forums occasionally but never post but most don't really seem to go online much.

Makes me wonder - what is the largest solid (or mostly solid) slug that's been found and actually posted? That 6 oz'er is up there but it seems like I've seen like a 12 or 16 oz'er or something huge like that a while back but I can't remember exactly. Now I'm starting to wonder if it was someone like Chris Gholson or someone on his forum...I dunno, my memory is horrible, seemed like it was 5 years back or so.

Edited by JasonG

Yeh, I have pictures of the 12 oz and 6 oz and the two+ oz that Shep found all in one day. I was with him. But He might get upset if I post them. Grubstake

Jason was it the one above in post #9? 436 grams