Nugget Shooter Forums

Pinpointer

Chris,

Like Fred said if your gonna use a GB2, there is really no need for a pinpointer. You should be able to pinpoint pretty good with the GB2 coil. If you use a PI machine, that goes deep, or a large coil, pinpointers would be handy. Also pinpointers really are not to good on small items such as small gold, or meteorites. But if your set on getting one, the Garrett Pro-Pointer, or Minelab Pro25 are the 2 best ones out there in my opinion. I use the Garrett Pro Pointer and it works great.

Dave.

I agree Fred.

I have seen them used in trying to find the signal in deeper holes

and there they seem to save a little time from digging in the wrong direction.

I also see lots of coin shooters use them.

For most people who prospect for gold with a detector

a pinpointer is kind of beside the point - no pun intended...

Chris,

I have lost two ProPointers (both fell out of my pockets at the beach at night). I like them the best. I have the Minelab and put new batteries in it but it is still too 'weak' in my estimation but it has a keeper attached to it. I've lost picks (as you know from Richard) and also found other peoples lost digging and finding tools.

When I am in 'hunt mode' I sometimes don't keep track of my stuff so be careful with anything you carry.

I agree with Dave and Fred. It is not that helpful on a normal dig basis. When I am using a big coil with the 5000 it affects the performance so I don't carry one. If I am using a smaller coil in the desert, I don't need one.

Mitchel

I have a Garrett Pro-Pointer (that i use with another detector in tot lots) and a Gold Bug 2 which it pinpoints and reacts much better than the pro pointer on very tiny gold......

Edited by Joe Z

If you were using the Minelab PI's then a good VLF like a Gold Bug or GMT would be my choice for a pinpointer :Just_Cuz_06::D

Frank,

I used my 3030 for this on my big hole! A VLF with a PI makes for a great combo ... and a long walk!

Mitchel

Well i learned a HARD lesson... :cry2: .. I was detecting and got this signal....dug down and down and down...with my pick..almost gave up on it, and thankfully my partner said...ohhh just finish diggin that hole :Diggin_a_hole: so i dug, and dug...and there it was...a beauty of a nugg....with 5 good hits to it !!!!! :confused0089[1]: ....yeah..it was a nice one....but from that day on....when i am hunting with my 4500..and I get close to the target I just reach over to my Garret Pro Pointer and take my time. Mind you..most targets I don't need to use it...but for that one your just not sure of, I rather go slow and dig in the right direction with a pin pointer rather than damage a good nugg again. I would recommend one. the interference is not bad at all, i just set it about three feet away, turn on the PP and dig...just my two cents.