Nugget Shooter Forums

septarian

Man those septarians can get crazy. What a classic!

A lot of them form around fossils. It takes some sort of life to get that process going. They are truly magical. I think the "dragon" bit comes from the fossil fish inside of some of them.

Real natural mysteries....Alaska again I presume?

Face was there when I cut the sept. Just like thunder eggs--never know what is in there.

Bedrock Bob, Mihailovici and I are having fun, trying to liven up the forum.

Yes septarians are from Alaska. Very few know they are found here and they are rare here. We found this spot a few years ago when looking for crystals. Only three know where these are. I have heard of small critters in the center of them but never seen any myself.

Ahh, gold is quite fascinating too, I know you like your gold just as much as I like mine. I spend much more time chasing yellow then rocks, Bob

PC1300022.jpg

Really neat septarian nodule. Lots of character and they don't get much better then that. Thanks for posting. Do you have any idea what the activator is?

Nice gold too.

That's a nice one too. Do you find many in Romania?

No. Unfortunately they're become very rare, and they are rare in the world because conteins silica, is not calcic septaria (do not contains so much calcite). But they are beautiful.

Mihail

Face was there when I cut the sept. Just like thunder eggs--never know what is in there.

Bedrock Bob, Mihailovici and I are having fun, trying to liven up the forum.

Yes septarians are from Alaska. Very few know they are found here and they are rare here. We found this spot a few years ago when looking for crystals. Only three know where these are. I have heard of small critters in the center of them but never seen any myself.

Ahh, gold is quite fascinating too, I know you like your gold just as much as I like mine. I spend much more time chasing yellow then rocks, Bob

PC1300022.jpg

Awsome gold :ROFL:

Dutchman, by activator do you mean what mineral makes the fluorescence?? Here is a photo of a septarian with short wave. The blue is calcite, the yellow may be barite (don't know). Many do not have calcite that shows blue. What confuses me is the fact that the entire nodule fizzes with acid, and I know the Utah ones do also. Any ideas??

004.jpg

This is what I meant by activators. The article explains it much better then I can. http://uvminerals.org/fms/minerals

If the entire nodule fizzes with the addition of acid, it's most likely composed of a carbonate. ie calcite.... Different activators could explain the different colors under the UV lamp. The absence of a blue or yellow fluorescence may mean the absence of an activator but the nodule could still be composed entirely of calcite. Hope all that makes sense. lol

In Northern New Mexico there is limestone with spherical nodules 2"-6" in diameter. All formed around ammonites and siphuncles. There are some sweet hematite spheres as well as some really decayed septarians. It seems you are showing some really nice examples of the septarians that I was always looking for but never found.

This isn't the average rock show here. These nodules are some cool science. These things are fossilized chemical reactions of the highest order. I betcha there are more 1 gram nuggets out there than decent sceptarians. And a silaceous septarian??? I didn't even know they existed. That is pretty darn cool!

In Northern New Mexico there is limestone with spherical nodules 2"-6" in diameter. All formed around ammonites and siphuncles. There are some sweet hematite spheres as well as some really decayed septarians. It seems you are showing some really nice examples of the septarians that I was always looking for but never found.

This isn't the average rock show here. These nodules are some cool science. These things are fossilized chemical reactions of the highest order. I betcha there are more 1 gram nuggets out there than decent sceptarians. And a silaceous septarian??? I didn't even know they existed. That is pretty darn cool!

I like your interest Bob, I may have to give you a septarian piece, Bob

I am learning, hadn't heard the term dragonstone before. The site that Dutchman posted is very interesting, thanks. I fully understand that different minerals can make a rock fluoresce different colors but I cannot answer your question. Dark color on septarians must be limestone. Bob

Edited by Bob(AK)