Nugget Shooter Forums

ATX vs GB2 video

I would like to see that. Was it a youtube video?____ do you remember the title?_____

Thanx much LC as lookn' for a dedicated water machine and this test is most interesting. Soooooooooooo much hype on quite a few forums but after this :th: I always say the man makes the machine and maybe same same here?? I must dig deeper..John :idunno:

This partly explains it... http://www.findmall.com/read.php?96,1998550 Pman... What was the sensitivity you ran on the ATX for your test on the meteorites? I guess it was the same as you used on the other targets. As you might already know there is a lot of depth difference between 10 and 13 and some between 12 and 13. Also, if you can run your GB2 in that ground ... I guessing it's not too hot to try the factory stock ground balance settings and get another meaningful gain in depth. It may run a little too noisy....in which case you could do just a partial ground balance from the stock settings. Thanks for the video!! Cheers, Tye Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 09:49PM by Tye. Reply Quote Report Re: ATX Depth Posted by: Paleomanjim [ Send a Message ] Date: January 02, 2014 10:00PM Registered: 7 days ago Posts: 6 Hello Tye, the sensitivity was set at 13 or maximum for the test. I did try a partial ground balance but the ATX was too noisy and then sounds off on hot rocks. Proper ground balance in areas like this seem to be best. PI machines do not pick up chondrite meteorites as well as V LF machines due to the nature of the dispersed metal in the chondrites. The ATX did very well on the irons. The GB2 can be noisy at Gold Basin due to the hot rocks but I have enough experience using it that I can usually tell the difference between hot rocks and meteorites or gold, the signal sound being more crisp and sharp on good targets. Fortunately most meteorites are on the surface and those that are buried are usually very shallow, so the ATX should find them. ....jim

Edited by LipCa

It's a fact that PI machines don't do Iron so well. VLF machines in the Higher Freqs do and do gold better but not deeper. The first things to be Discriminated by a VLF machine is Iron and Aluminum, gold.

Homefire...Pi machines love iron-more than any other metal. Where do you get your "facts"?

The reason some pi machines don't do well on chrondrites is that they have some level of mineral processing built in, but will still detect the nickel/iron specks...the vlf will detect the very small specks of nickel/iron with ease...all of this is relative to the usual parameters.

Whoever was doing that video needs to dig those faint signals that he said he would "probably not dig"...

fred

OK, not sure if I said "probably not dig" on the GB2 or the ATX. On the GB2 the "probably not dig" happens every few feet because of all the hot rocks! Cant dig em all or I'd never be able to leave camp. That said, I know the GB2 well enough to know which ones to dig. So I reduce the number of digs to maybe a dozen false targets for each find and I don't think I have missed many meteorites. On the ATX the thing runs whisper quiet at Gold Basin, although I had to change boots to my tennis shoe because my boot metal kept making the ATX sound off. Tried shorter steps but the thing is too powerful! Anyway, the ATX just hums quietly and occasionally makes a clicking noise in the background. The clicks are suspicious and I have dug a number of them and all have faded away after a lot of deep digging. I'm guessing the clicks are just hot ground or a large number of hot rocks clumped together, I dunno.

Anyway, I hope the video did not give the impression I don't like my ATX, I love it! It is quiet, it should find most chondrites which are usually on the surface or shallow and it will find just as tiny of an iron meteorite as the GB2. And if there are any large deep irons the ATX should find what the VLF machines have missed! The big benefit is that it will also find larger gold nuggets at depth that the GB2 has no chance at. That is a big plus if I ever get lucky enough to walk over a big nugget!....jim

Edited by Paleomanjim

Hey, Jim...I understand your reasoning...but, the target that you said that over was clear-if faint to me. But we all have different hearing and I was not there; so I yield to your expertise and actually being there.

I mentioned that issue because I have had a number of people pass up signals like that faint one because they were listening and reacting to the boomer signals such as the loud ones in your video and not investigating the faint ones. The ATX appears to be a fine addition to the garret stables!

fred

Edited by fredmason