Nugget Shooter Forums

I have been cutting thundereggs we gathered last fall. Looks like this 7 1/2" one is the prize. Shocked me seeing great amethyst inside and love the "turkey feather" pattern around hte edge. Much fun cutting these eggs--never know what is inside, Bob

010.jpg

I stopped by Rock Hound State Park one time but I could not understand what I was supposed to do. I stopped there because of the Travel Channel about the area. I would treasure any I would find but there are lots and lots of them to cut. The museum there was fantastic.

Mitchel

I just love slicin' rocks with my slab saw. It's just like a treasure hunt ....... Thst is a beauty for sure!

Thanks guys, Bob this is an Alaskan thunderegg, I have cut hundreds of them. There are many beds in the Talkeetna Mts. Adam, there are some 3 footers up there but I think they will stay where they are for obvious reasons.

I have been checking this forum for quite a while, haven't contributed anything so going to try harder showing off Alaskan rocks and minerals. Crystals, septarians, thundereggs, jaspers, fossils, copper minerals, they are all here, Bob

I would love to see some septarians. I am fond of concretions and nodules.

We haveva big thunder egg spot a few miles north of me. Lots of softball sized ones. Years ago we used to slice them but the saw went away and we got interested in other things.

Don't be bashful about posting those photos! We love a good rock show!

Just before the first cattle crossing going up the back side of the Florida Mtns there is a claim . There all over the area and you don't need to be on the claim. Stay north of the fence and your ok.

Just before the first cattle crossing going up the back side of the Florida Mtns there is a claim . There all over the area and you don't need to be on the claim. Stay north of the fence and your ok.

I

I know that spot well Homefire!

An old friend used to have gem claims in there! We dug thunder eggs all over the hill and found a big concentration. In one spot there were dozens. We dug down and there was one or two nice thunder eggs in each shovel. We collected over 100 that day!

We went back the next day and had only dug about another foot before we hit the fossilized remains of the thunder chicken laying against bedrock. Our thunder vein was pinched out. We picked up the good ones we could find on the surface and were home before noon.

:)

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I get those same white spots on my tongue after too much tequila!

Dogone sweet symmetry and a really neat coloration!

Great pics and neat rocks....those things were probably what turned me on to rocks when I was a kid. I bet a lot of us looked at those crystals and colors as young folks and were forever amazed. I saw a big geode with a druse of purple amethyst and never stopped looking at rocks. Every time I see one it amazes me.

Keep em coming Bob!

Comments are very welcome, if I have something labeled wrong or whatever speak up. However the little white spots in the green thunder egg are not calcite, been there done that--no fizz. They are quite soft and powder like if scraped with a knife. Too small to do much testing on them, Bob