Nugget Shooter Forums
GeoJack

Detecting and Tresspassing

Had my neighbor tell me about a couple of trespassers detecting down the road a bit on another neighbors property over the Xmas holidays. These are two acres lots and these two yahoos were just cruising about on other people's property. All lots have houses on them.

My wife and I detect and make sure we know where we are going and whether or not the property is public or private. We stay off private land unless we have permission to be there.

We have a person living in our subdivision who is of the mind that if the property is not posted, he's on it. Been run off many properties around here. Everyone knows who he is locally and don't really care for his attitude. I have caught him on a couple of lots that don't have houses on them and know of others who have ran him off for trespassing.

Some gold taken off of other private property has been posted on this forum from our area.

We have started calling them "Coyotes" as they don't recognize the rules and even if they did, they ignore them.

Another local has been detecting a local park that does allow coin shooting but you need to fill out a form from the Recreation District and get permission to use the park. I have stopped and mentioned this to him a couple of times to ensure this privilege is maintained and not pulled from being offered but he continues to detect during the day when the permit has a time limit of not being used after 9 am.

We live on top of the Mother Lode in our sub-division, mines and tailing piles all over the area, most if not all, private land. Our sub-division is also attached to some BLM land that can only be accessed via our private roads. This is a problem as well as I have found people from out of the area detecting there via access through our sub-division. I mention to them that they have trespassed to gain access to the BLM land. Doesn't do anything.

Someone will get shot at if I find them on my property. I'll use bird-shot on the first warning shot and larger amounts of lead as required.

I have been shot at while on the BLM land from property owners on the next ridge over who's land is adjacent to the BLM land. Called the SO on this instance as we found 9mm bullets on the trail we came down on when we went back out. They weren't there when we came in.

Some on this forum know who I am and know the circumstances of which I speak, I hope I don't offend, but it is the situation.

What do you all say? How should this issue be handled by local prospectors?

Edited by GeoJack

GJ ... Just curious as to the general area you are talking about ... ? curiosity has got my cat's tail! :) Mike F

Near the Gold Discovery Site in Coloma, CA.

Gold%20Fields.jpg

Motherlode.jpg

Easy enough to see why our area is popular. Dark solid line is the actual Mother Lode. We live near the northern split in the Mother Lode

WSPA Member #112

Edited by GeoJack

Had my neighbor tell me about a couple of trespassers detecting down the road a bit on another neighbors property over the Xmas holidays. These are two acres lots and these two yahoos were just cruising about on other people's property. All lots have houses on them.

My wife and I detect and make sure we know where we are going and whether or not the property is public or private. We stay off private land unless we have permission to be there.

We have a person living in our subdivision who is of the mind that if the property is not posted, he's on it. Been run off many properties around here. Everyone knows who he is locally and don't really care for his attitude. I have caught him on a couple of lots that don't have houses on them and know of others who have ran him off for trespassing.

Some gold taken off of other private property has been posted on this forum from our area.

We have started calling them "Coyotes" as they don't recognize the rules and even if they did, they ignore them.

Another local has been detecting a local park that does allow coin shooting but you need to fill out a form from the Recreation District and get permission to use the park. I have stopped and mentioned this to him a couple of times to ensure this privilege is maintained and not pulled from being offered but he continues to detect during the day when the permit has a time limit of not being used after 9 am.

We live on top of the Mother Lode in our sub-division, mines and tailing piles all over the area, most if not all, private land. Our sub-division is also attached to some BLM land that can only be accessed via our private roads. This is a problem as well as I have found people from out of the area detecting there via access through our sub-division. I mention to them that they have trespassed to gain access to the BLM land. Doesn't do anything.

Someone will get shot at if I find them on my property. I'll use bird-shot on the first warning shot and larger amounts of lead as required.

I have been shot at while on the BLM land from property owners on the next ridge over who's land is adjacent to the BLM land. Called the SO on this instance as we found 9mm bullets on the trail we came down on when we went back out. They weren't there when we came in.

Some on this forum know who I am and know the circumstances of which I speak, I hope I don't offend, but it is the situation.

What do you all say? How should this issue be handled by local prospectors?

Have someone that knows what their doing to load you up some 12ga. with rock salt....aim for the legs....you'll know where they are for hours.

I've got a bb gun that puts out at higher velocity than a 22 short. I can shoot the primer out of a shotgun shell at 50 ft. with it. Thought I might just pierce their ear lobe on the first shot so they know my accuracy. They can always brag at the bar about the occasion. :D

Rick

The sheriff's office should be contacted. I know for sure this is not tolerated by them at all. There is no reason to put yourself at legal risk.

• Like 2

Shoot at someone, no matter the reason, and you'll be the first to go to jail.

• Like 2

Guys, just talk, no action. I only protect my wife and my life, not property. A bb to the butt might happen but at low pressure.

If I catch em SO can have them. I've had them out three times already. Once for blasting cap disposal advise.

Steve, last time this local guy got run off the SO told him "I took my time getting out here and your still here?". Just told him to leave.

In our sub-division might get a different response but people see us with our detectors on the quad and we do not want to be associated with a problem like this.

Jack,

On a more practical matter you could post a sign. On that sign you say that this is private property. (Right, just another posted sign?) You further state on that sign that the owner has had the the property professionally prospected and ALL of the gold that had been there has been found and sold when the price of gold was $1800 an ounce! You suggest that anyone who is looking for gold will find much better locations some other place in the Mother Lode.

You could get the other subdivision owners to post similar signs and maybe someone would get the idea that you want the gold on YOUR property and stay away or the prospector who has permission to hunt the property will get anyone who is unauthorized on the property for claim jumping.

If there is one thing a miner hates is to hunt a place after all the gold has been found or to know that a real expert has hunted it first.

You get the idea.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Ya shoot somebody with a BB gun and who knows what they may unload on you with..No detecting to be done in prison !!! Let the SO handle it

Maybe you can get George Zimmerman to come out and be the neighborhood watchman. I hear he's looking for work. :idea:

Or maybe make a sign that says "This property patrolled by George Zimmerman". :yikes:

Seriously, this issue has come up many times. The best thing to do is post your property and either ask trespassers to leave (if private) or call the sheriff and tell him you want to press charges. I'm sure if the sheriff gets called out on the same person or people a few times he will make an arrest.

If a person is trespassing you can file a complaint against them whether the cop arrests them or not. A cop is generally not going to. arrest a guy unless he is hostile or something. If you want to file a complaint you can. I think that is about the only way you are going to deal with a highgrader whether they are on private land or a BLM claim.

I would not shoot anyone with anything unless they were threatening me. That could only turn out bad.

If a guy is on my property for any reason I'm going to run him off and he will be thinking twice before coming back. That does not take a gun to acomplish. But having one at your disposal while you are running them off is a great idea.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Rick,

Plenty of thieves about. Some are pretty blatant.

Gold is proven to bring out the worst in peoples greed.

Be safe and let Karma deal with the lowlifes.

If it is not your property,there is not anything that you can do,unless the owner has

gave you written authority to watch their property.

For your own property post no trespassing or no detecting signs. If they cross the

property line and it is posted,the cops have to respond,and either tell them to leave,

or have you sign a complaint. Once you sign the complaint ,then the cop has to do

his or her duty as required by state law.

A lot depends on which state or county ,that a trespass occurs,and how well you

are connected with the local law enforcement. In some places ,if you have the right last

name,they will roll a swat team. If they don't know or like you,they will just order another

doughnut.

• Like 1

The owner still controls the surface,regardless of mineral rights.

If someone else owns the mineral rights,they have to have the surface owners

approval to enter the land,for mining. Hardly any land is sold with the mineral

rights. Reaching a working agreement with the surface owner ,can be very

expensive.

I agree with Bedrock Bob on this one . I have 80lb Pit-bull Rottweiler mix that funs our four Acers and he even chases off the Border Patrol and Sheriff from time to time. As long as he stays on our properties No one can say a thing. The Property Own has not a need to post Bad Dogs or Private Property. It's up to the Individual to figure out what there doing.

There is a reason that no one pays attention ,when told that they can't use

sub-division through streets or roads to access BLM land. Most sub-division

roads are built on an easement,not land owned by private lot owners. Unless

yours is a gated community ,or has gated and posted roads ,you can't stop

people from driving through.

Also if one penny of ,county,state,or federal funds,are used to maintain or

clear snow from said roads,you can't close them to public use.

This points out an ongoing problem where access to public lands has been

increasingly cut off by the surrounding rabid private land owners. Old roads

closed, gated, posted, fenced. Public lands are increasingly being turned into

private parks by this MO and continues to escalate.

Just part and parcel of the ongoing agenda 21 mentality of the USA.

There is plenty of legal precedence for what Sawmill is referring.

Land owners that hold title on property that has a historic route of travel (road/trail) have been proven that they cannot legally restrict access.

Landlocking public lands don't make it a private park.

In the past five years access to public land has greatly improved. There are several areas with access today that were landlocked before. As a matter of fact there is a special office and staff dedicated to purchasing and trading land specifically for access to these areas.

It is not a private owners responsibility to allow access across his property. It is not a matter of "agenda 21" either. It is all about land ownership and always has been. We have more legal access points to tracts of landlocked public land than we evef have had despite the misinformation.

Every time the BLM trades a piece of land for an access point some fellows try to make a "liberal conspiracy" out of it. But if they encounter an area they must ask permission to access they scream about agenda 21.

There are hundreds of landlocked parcels of BLM land here. I have never had any trouble accessing any of them. If yyou can't figure out how to get there on an easement all you need to do is call BLM and they will tell you who you need to contact for access across private land. The same office that does the land deals for new access routes also handles access routes across private land.

This is something that has been ongoing for decades. The idea that there is some sort of conspiracy to keep us off public land is hogwash. There is a big effort in the opposite direction as more and more private access rotes are closed.

• Like 1

Shoot at someone, no matter the reason, and you'll be the first to go to jail.

Someone put a shot about 5ft from my foot across a canyon. I put a .243 through his radiator. Still wonder how far he got.

• Like 1

Yes we have one a them up here,tresspass all over,lie to homeowners for access ONCE and go dozens of times with a whole bloody crew,brings older slower folks so he can run,they get caught and he's long gone. Problem everywhere and posted on multiple sites by po'd owners ranting after they took all the time and effort to find'm. GOOGLE citizens arrest as legal in kalif still and a viable answer to get rid of a rat. If he resists removal the worst possible scenario you get to shoot the sob :brows: legally and make the world a better place.Posted signs every 100' NO TRESSPASSING or Mining Claim signs also, are the base requirement for beforementioned actions.-John