Nugget Shooter Forums
GeoJack

Detecting and Tresspassing

You know there is a 'trump' card being played in many areas that keeps you from shooting someone on your claim. A trespasser just has to tell you they are hunting for meteorites and all 'bets are off' as they say. (Some who use this will keep the gold they find without permission because they feel 'entitled' to anything on public land, claimed or not.)

If you posted this topic in the meteorite forum you would be getting different responses. Basically to a meteorite hunter 'public land is public.'

Don't shoot at or kill a meteorite hunter! (Prove he is a claim jumper and doesn't know how to spell the word meteorite.)

Don't let your dog bite a meteorite hunter!

You could catch a guy with a pocket full of gold from your claim (discovered after you kill him) and if he utters to you that he is hunting for meteorites and it is public land then you have a BIG problem. His defense attorney or the attorney for his estate is going to make your use of deadly force very, very costly.

Post a sign ... All meteorites and gold has been found. :thumbsupanim

Mitchel

You can't even shoot a claim jumper wiith a pocket full of nuggets taking a schit in your gold pan and wiping his fanny with your hat. You couldn't even shoot him if he refused to leave after throwing that pan of poop at you and screaming profanities.

Your right to defend yourself has nothing to do with being on public or private land. Nor being a claim owner, tresspasser, thief, preacher or cop. You can not shoot unless it is self defense and you have no other optionns.

• Like 1

The meteorite thing won't fly with a judge either. They are wise to that excuse.

If all you were carrying was a magnet ,or just searching by sight,then that would

be fine. Swinging that detector over a gold claim ,would be just like sitting up

a drywasher,and claiming to be just looking for black sand.

It would be up to you to prove that you wasn't searching for minerals,or prove

that you are a saint,that would throw back any found precious metals. This is a

situation where you have to prove yourself not guilty. If you get caught in a back

yard carrying burgular tools ,it won't be easy to convince a cop that you doing

something else. Unless you have written permission to detect a claim,don't do it.

You don't have to catch,a claim jumper with gold to prosecute,all you have to do

is catch them in the act,of searching. A good camera and a cell phone is the best

way to deal with claim jumpers. Leave the photos on the camera,for evidence.

• Like 2

Lots of us know this area well.

It has a long history of people with no respect for property rights or mineral rights.

There are a fair number of people involved in various aspects of the drug trade,

a large number of squatters and people down on their luck.

This is a form of robbery and it is difficult to find a balance between a reasonable response

and something on the more violent side.

Best leave it to the Sheriff's. They have extensive experience with all of these types of folks.

I do like the idea of a great big mastiff though...

In kalif we have legions of homeless destroying the forests. Now throw in mobile crank labs in RVs and MANY 10's a 1,000s of massive grows all over the place. Discovery and national Geo have had DOZENS of shows on tv. Drugs Inc is just the tip a the iceburg. SO I AIN'T DONE A BLOODY FRIGGN' THANG WRONG, I've just spent a massive amount of time,almost my entire life in the forest , in their midst. The druggies take over Hayfork every year with a massive migration that fill the ENTIRE FAIRGROUNDS with 1,000s a day laborers to trim,protect and run interference. Helo raids with 130+ cops from 5 agencies was just 1 outta 100s a raids here in the Golden Triangle,over 27,000 plants in just 1 grow. They even tore down the street signs to Potsi Mountain and put up there own-POT MOUNTAIN. Pit bulls,aks and 12 gage rule Trinity,Humbolt,Siskiyou counties and I done something wrong BS.....John

We all know about marijuana grows John. The discussion was about removing a tresspasser or claim jumper. And then it diverged into a lot of tales about jerking guns and shooting radiators and marijuana grows.

Here we are on the border with Chihuahua, Mexico. Juarez is clearly visible in my 12x riflescope. During the height of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan Juarez was the most dangerous place on the planet. $1.5 Billion in cash, gold, art and guns are taken south across the border each year. Millions in drugs are smuggled north. We live in a vast sea of public land and have HUGE national forests and wilderness. There are lots of grows, meth labs, outlaws, smugglers, and every manner of crazy schitt going on.

I have happened upon smuggling operations, dope deals, grows, gunfights and robberies. I have only had to draw my gun three times and all three times that was in town with some jackass that was going to attack me.

So despite your very unique perspective your situation is not that unique. If you have had dozens of instances of gunplay you are behaving in a way that causes it. I stand behind not causing it and that strategy has worked for me in my sheltered little Disneyland down here.

Bob, it's all Relative. I was tooling along in my ol Datsun pick up and came across a Cessna on a dirt berm unloading a ton of pot one time. I would class them as Trespassers. If they would have seen me before I seen them we may not be key boarding here.

That is just not the way it works and we all know it. Tre is no reason for them to get into a fight with every local Joe that happens along. They make millions by NOT GETTING.INTO TROUBLE.

If a hot shot in a drug deal started schitt with an interloper that was not involved in his mission he would be executed. You have a zero chance of any smuggler messing with you unless you pose some sort of threat.

There has never been a single airplane offload drugs in this desert since 1986. Your chances of finding trouble with smugglers are slim to non existent. Even seeing a smuggler is very rare as they just don't do it like that anymore.

No doubt it scared you. But you were in no more danger than walking by a construction crew doing a job.

LOL! Air Drops have never stopped and never will. Even the AroStat can't stop them.

That is why I picked that analogy Flak....Nothing is without risk. Collatteral damage does happen. Construction is dangerous business and some guys are chaotic. You stand a better chance of needing a gun at a gas pump than any other place. I read somewhere that there are more violent altercations at gas pumps than any other single place. Twice for me so statistics are holding up well.

I have never heard of trouble from smugglers or growers other than the well publicized stories. Those guns in a marijuana grow are to protect the crop and the crew from thieves. Not to shoot anyone who discovers them. Some guys surely might be paranoid and react badly. Most growers are in it for the money and are trying desperately to make it to harvest without detection. They know how to handle the people who stray close. Having a shootout is the last thing any of them want.

A grower or a smuggler uses a weapon as a show of power. A citizen uses theirs for personal protection. That usually keeps the two at a distance and things work out swimmingly. There is an understanding that we honor the idea of "multiple use".

LOL! Air Drops have never stopped and never will. Even the AroStat can't stop them.

I have to agree with Homefire,I have watched a few of those myself.

Those grubby backpackers that come crawling out of our canyons,are not all

there for the wilderness experiance . Some of those backpacks are filled with

neat little packages,that where dropped in certain side canyons in the dark.

You guys that have weed farms in your prospecting areas ought to push TPTB to turn then into "protected wilderness areas".

"WE ALL KNOW"... pot won't grow in wilderness areas. :laught16:

I have to agree with Homefire,I have watched a few of those myself.

Those grubby backpackers that come crawling out of our canyons,are not all

there for the wilderness experiance . Some of those backpacks are filled with

neat little packages,that where dropped in certain side canyons in the dark.

With all due respect Sawmill...

That is a long shot from landing a plane and offloading it in the Chihuahuan desert. That simply does not happen anymore. Maybe at a few ranches with private strips. And no high value payloads are dropped in the woods either. That was marijuana back when. Nowdays they use very few planes. And that 100 mile enforcement zone is the real deal. No planes come across that border undetected. And no "drops" have been made for many years. It is no longer a viable way to transport a high value product. No successful ones anyway. They stopped playing that game years ago.

That is what caused the big ruckus in the Tucson sector. The airspace was no longer the cheapest route. They starged smuggling smaller amounts by individuals. Large shipments were by trucks in tunnels or right through the check lanes in "prepaid shpments".

Nowdays the "cartel" dosent smuggle drugs. Gangs do. The drugs are bought and paid for before they cross the border. And those vatos aren't hiking across the desert. They cross in the urban environments. Now THAT is a TARGET!!' That is where the threat is!

I am just not motivated by shooting claim jumpers. Tresspassers and pot growers just don't scare me. Drug deals are a good thing to avoid. I feel safer with my gun but it will stay in my holster. But the organized gangs and what they facilitate are a cancer

That is where a guy needs to get his gun in his hand and not be afraid to shoot.

JMHO.

Bob

I watched a drop last summer,and it wasn't pot. I didn't say that they were flying it across the

border either. There is a lot of ground between Arizona and New Mexico to big cities and some

not so big to the North. The highways have became a little tough to move a big shipment over.

Some still try but lots have been busted. Hell they bust Pedro ,take his load and toss him in jail..

He ain't going to talk ,and they send him home after a short vacation. This keeps the cops busy,

and feeds their egos ,while someone else is delivering the goods right under their nose.

Not all of these guys are gang or cartel members ,or would even lead one to suspect,

that they are not every day clean cut citizens. They don't pack guns,act tough ,or try to draw any

attention. They use stealth,and the ability to blend in,to achieve their goal. I agree about the big

cities and the gangs,but some of those puddle jumpers are still flying.

Yeah we have our grow sites too. But most are being done by a few peons,that are scared

shi$less,and uselly give up without a fight. Some do hightail it across country,but get caught.

They are expendable ,and they know it. Most times if someone gets too close,these guys just

vanish. The cops always blame it on some cartel ,to make their bust sound good. I suspect

that the cartel is a home grown version.

California is a whole different world,and a whole different breed of cat. The lowest form of

life has invaded there,and I can see a reason to be prepared for a shootout. The good folks,

and the cops are out numbered there. The forests,have became,what you and I see in the cities.

Granny's window sill is the primary grow site here in Colorado now and it isn't worth detecting anyways. Heck Sheriff Joe probably has some in his window too.

Now schools are getting tax money from it instead of Juan Q Cartel buying a new set of beheading machetes. :yesss: Sounds like all ya Kalifornia folks need to support the next legalization bill that comes through.

Jason

That is fine and dandy for the pot thing. Potheads are mostly just a danger to theirself,

unless they are driving. It is the hardcore stuff ,behind most of the real crazy business.

Meth addicts can get deadly in a hurry,plus they will steal anything in sight to support their

habit.

• Like 1

post-25522-0-07832200-1388873995_thumb.j

Came across this in "Hidden in the Chaparral", a great book about the region I live in during the Gold Rush Days.

Granny's window sill is the primary grow site here in Colorado now and it isn't worth detecting anyways. Heck Sheriff Joe probably has some in his window too.

Now schools are getting tax money from it instead of Juan Q Cartel buying a new set of beheading machetes. :yesss: Sounds like all ya Kalifornia folks need to support the next legalization bill that comes through.

:goodpost: If only the rest of the country would get thier heads out of thier ass's!

Why did I ever leave Colorado?! :aw-shucks:

Why did I ever leave Colorado?! :aw-shucks:

Born and raised in CO myself. Had quite the mary jane patch on the banks of the South Platte river. Never wanted for anything during my high school years. Don't know how old you guys are, but I won a $1000 for best costume at an Ozzie Osborn Halloween concert at McNichols Sports Arena. I was dressed as an Orange Crush (Denver Broncos colors) bong. :4chsmu1:

Edited by azblackbird

I was helping friends move from one house to another in Santa Monica.

I loaded their pot plants in the back of my truck

and tied a red handkerchief on the ends so no one would run into them.

Pot wasn't illegal yet.

That's how old I am.

An Orange Crush bong...uh huh, cool.

In the wilderness the measure of a man is the arc of his bullets, the depth of his heelprint and the diameter of his turds. What he stuffs his pipe with is nobodys business but his own.

BH

• Like 1

Blatant nighttime trespassing is alive and well in parts of Texas. On our way home a few days ago we stopped for lunch in Thurber, Texas (a former company town that flourished from 1878 to 1936 when its population rapidly dropped from 3,000 to zero). Only two people live there now -- they operate the Smokestack Restaurant (so named because of the gigantic smokestack that is about all that remains of the old Thurber Brick Co.). Our waitress/proprietress told us that she and her husband live on the adjacent property that is well posted. She tries to maintain a lawn for her kids to play on but the dig holes left by metal detectorists who creep into the grounds in the middle of the night make that a challenge. One night her husband surprised a guy who was equipped with infrared night vision gear. I think this may just be the tip of an iceberg of bad publicity if CNN or one of the reality TV shows gets wind of this sort of activity. [Oh yeah, the reason Thurber became an overnight ghost town has to do with the discovery of oil in nearby Ranger, Texas -- lots of old stuff was left in the ground after the company folded and the barracks and other buildings were torn down].