Nugget Shooter Forums
Chris Coffee

Gold Bug 2 Question

I have been looking to buy a used detector with which I can hunt gold and meteorites. I thought I had something lined up that I was pretty excited about, but that got changed. So now I am looking to pick up a used Gold Bug 2. I am saving up for another 5000, but since I am only a little over halfway there, I want to pick up something I can use in the meantime. And who knows, maybe I will get lucky and find something with the GB2 that will help fund the 5000. So what should I be willing to spend on a used GB2? I will be looking for one that is in very good condition so I know I must take that into consideration. I know I can get them new for $765, so what is a good used price? Thank you!

Easily less in kalif-John

Chris keeping vigilant on your local advertisements you should see one for less than 5 bills possibly 350 - 450 range would be a good buy in good condition.
Craigslist and local advertising papers and the forums will provide leads an don't pass those yard sales up.
3 years ago I bought a Whites XLT Spectrum for $20 dollars at a yard sale. It resold for $325.00 :old::head: :head: :head:

Chris,

Frank has pointed you in a direction where you can make as much in yard sales as you can with your desert finds.

Hit a few yard, surplus and auction sales. That at one time was my main business. Sometimes you will find gold (a good deal). Sometimes there is silver (sterling) and other goodies too.

Those ads for moving out of town and getting stuff at a discount will let you make some profits on resale. You can buy any detector you want.

When you get a different 5000 you don't need a new one and remember that one of the reasons that a 5000 works when others don't is that you get out and hunt. What I mean is that don't wait until you get your ultimate machine before you hunt gold and don't stop just because a new model has come out.

All of the gold I have found could have been located with various detectors.

Mitchel

Chris keeping vigilant on your local advertisements you should see one for less than 5 bills possibly 350 - 450 range would be a good buy in good condition.

Craigslist and local advertising papers and the forums will provide leads an don't pass those yard sales up.

3 years ago I bought a Whites XLT Spectrum for $20 dollars at a yard sale. It resold for $325.00 :old::head: :head: :head:

Wow, Frank. Now that is a heck of a deal. WTG.

Chris,

Frank has pointed you in a direction where you can make as much in yard sales as you can with your desert finds.

Hit a few yard, surplus and auction sales. That at one time was my main business. Sometimes you will find gold (a good deal). Sometimes there is silver (sterling) and other goodies too.

Those ads for moving out of town and getting stuff at a discount will let you make some profits on resale. You can buy any detector you want.

When you get a different 5000 you don't need a new one and remember that one of the reasons that a 5000 works when others don't is that you get out and hunt. What I mean is that don't wait until you get your ultimate machine before you hunt gold and don't stop just because a new model has come out.

All of the gold I have found could have been located with various detectors.

Mitchel

Mitchel,

Thanks for the phone call today Hopefully Blake will still have one for me come the 11th. I could easily dip into the money that I have saved for the 5000 to get it now, but I don't want to start that bad habit. I have managed to not take from that fund for the last 7 months, and I'm afraid if I do it now, then it will break my mojo, ya know! When I had my 5000 last year I was out almost every other day for hours and hours hunting and never found anything. I traveled to Gold Basin a few times, Randsburg, the El Paso Mts., Holcomb Valley, Italian Bar (LDMA Claim), the Dale District, and a few places out near Searchlight area. I never found a single thing with it. I was trying to find someone that would teach me how to read the land and geology to better my chances, but that's just not going to happen in this hobby. I can read all the books in the world, but if I don't know what the ground I am supposed to be looking for looks like, then I am just shooting blind and that's not going to do anything but waste time and money....and you've seen my truck so you can imagine how expensive it gets to fill that thing up 3-4 times a week. So yes, after all that time I got frustrated and just sold it. Am I kicking myself in the rear for it now? Yeah, kinda! There is a part of me that doesn't want to get another 5000 because my situation hasn't changed any. I still don't know what to look for as an indicator for gold so am I just going to be getting right back into the same money draining rut? I know my odds are better with the 5000.

And I know that I am not going to get rich by doing this by any means, and I am not expecting that to happen. But it is like buying a $500k Lamborghini because it will top 200MPH and never being able to get it up to that speed. People buy these Minelabs because they want to find gold, and it is very disheartening when you spend months and months searching endlessly and never come up with anything. But I am not one to give up on something forever, so I will try it again. I have a Gold Bug Pro right now that I have been using for a while that belongs to a friend of mine and I have skunked with it, too! I am now on my 17th 9V battery in the thing in the last 6 months so it is getting used A LOT! So I will be buying the GB2 so he can have his machine back. I have tried to get him to sell me his Eureka Gold but he wont...LOL!

I stole mine off of Criagslist for 250 :)
Also, as far as detecting goes, its the law of attrition..the more washes you hit

the more likely your going to be to find gold.

Ive found it in one type of geology and the next mountain over

a whole different type of landscape.
Just get out there and swing!
Tom H.....at dads house eating like a piglet :)

Edited by Old Tom

I stole mine off of Criagslist for 250 :)

Tom H.....at dads house eating like a piglet :)

That is one heck of a steal there, Tom. Unfortunately though, metal detectors, especially Gold Bugs of any kind, don't show up too often on Craigslist in my area. I have found a couple in the past in other locations but those folks didn't want to bother with the shipping and PayPal process. Might have a lead on one, but we will see what time entails.

Chris,

On the San Diego craiglist there are two gold bug detectors. Both are asking 400.00. Is the gold bug and the GB2 the same? From the picture they look the same.

Ed

Some guys get really lucky and some gotta work a lot harder and that's the nature of this game. For every 1 person who just bought their detector that day and find a 1 ounce nugget sitting on a hill right next to the main road (true story) there are 10 guys who crack the shaft over their knees and toss the detector in the trash. Maybe 1 out of 20 are able to be succesful and are still detecting in 5 years. Just my observations.

Also - in 6 years of detecting I've never been showed a patch by someone. Most people are not shown patches by anyone else, I would never count on that. However it's pretty easy to tell where an old patch is when you walk right across it. Everyone with their ATV's and distaste for hiking drive right over them, it's made me laugh out loud a few times the gold I've found in someone's old VLF or BFO patch underneath a knobby tire track. Just a hint for ya if you go to these real hunted out goldfields. Course now you gotta try to find the ones I missed so I just made it a bit harder for you if you are in Gold Basin again. :arrowheadsmiley: Or go to Quartzsite for a day, there are old patches literally all over the place down there and those are the easiest to spot of almost anyplace I've been. Look for the rusty battery litter if you are unsure.

Anyways, more relevant to your original question: I paid 400 for my GB2 used but in almost new condition. I have seen them go like FrankC said usually around 350-450 fairly common if you watch a few different craigslist regions daily, bulleting board postings if you are in rv parks near gold areas, Stanton, etc.

People buy these Minelabs because they want to find gold, and it is very disheartening when you spend months and months searching endlessly and never come up with anything.

They are different detectors . get the GB2.

Edited by extractor

You are not going to learn to read the geology to find gold. You must find gold to learn to read the geology.

There is no trick to it. The old timers found the good spots and they are still the best spots. They stand out with surface workings and camps on the ground. All of them can be located with minimal research.

Don't worry about reading gravel. Every placer is different and the good gravel changes from canyon to canyon. Look for DIGGING , especially OLD DIGGING and spend lots of time digging the old junk. That is classically where you will consistently find nuggets.

I like hammered areas and junky areas. Most guys clean up the junk and don't hear the gold. And junky placer areas mean no one has detected. Most of the very best nugget ground is under thousands of junk targets.

Look for geology that has been dug at and screened. Look for geology that someone else has been digging at. At that point forget about geology and look for GOLD. In my experience most successful gold prospectors know little about geology. And most geologists know little about finding gold. At least until you master the art of finding it. Then start to correlate the geology to your finds.

Your frustration is evident. No machine will help you find gold if you are not on gold bearing ground. No machine will find gold if you are moving from "beep to beep" in a trashy area. Even the best machine can only make it marginally easier for a man to overcome this learning curve.

Good luck! I hope it helps.

BB,

Thank you for the detailed reply. It did help me. I have no problem digging trash at all. I always told myself that at least I got to dig something. I am, however, still a little confused about something. Gold is found primarily in certain types of geological conditions, correct? At least that is what I have been told. So I understand the concept of "go where others have found gold" as that is exactly what I have been doing for the last almost two years. But the problem with that (even though it is a small problem) is that if I am only going where others have gone, then all of the "big stuff" that the original miners, and everyone else who has been there over the years, has already been found. That is the exact reason why I no longer pay to be a member of the GPAA. 90% of their claims are so old, and the organization is so big, that every claim I ever went to looked like they had tested missiles there! Hundreds if not thousands of diggings. The reason I want to learn to read the land is because I would like to have a shot at finding a new and undiscovered patch/area, and of course I will not be able to do that if I do not know what to look for as an indication of gold bearing ground. There is an area near Holcomb Valley where, according to the area history, lot of gold was found that I hunted and it was littered with rotten and red-stained quartz, red soil, and old mining diggings and holes all around. Now I have been told by numerous prospectors that those were the things to look for, so when I found the area I hit it hard. I even took cans of marking paint and literally marked off 5' x 5' squares and detected every single inch of them with the GB Pro with the 5" round coil and found nothing but junk (boot tacks, lead shot, tiny strands of wire, projectiles and casings, etc.), and the last time I detected there I had marked my 34th 5' x 5' square.

Now, I know that doesn't mean that there is no gold there, but what it tells me is one of three things: 1) the original miners cleaned the place out (which I know is unlikely), 2) there was never really gold there to begin with, or 3) the place has been hammered to death by other prospectors. So I want to learn to be able to go out to an area where nobody has been and look around and say either yes this area could produce gold based on its rock and soil composition, or no this place isn't going to do it so I should keep looking. I know it can be done because you see posts about it quite often in forums. Some of the people I know are folks who have no reason to lie about it, so I have believe them when they say it. My goal is to find those few people, like DOC, who isn't in it for the gold so much as for the friendship and just getting out and having fun, try to learn whatever they will teach me.

It is kind of funny because there is a post on another forum about patch etiquette and a lot of comments about how people are astonished as to how gold can make people greedy. A lot of those people who are "amazed at how greedy people can get" are the same ones who are the very last to offer any information to a newbie trying to learn. I know gold translates into money and money creates greed, but you would think that these people are being asked to take someone to their patch and let them clean house. There is ASTRONOMICAL difference between "Hey, can you please teach me how to identify gold bearing land?" and "Hey, can you take me to your hunting area and let me dig all of the gold out of there before you hunt?".

I am just a different kind of person, I guess. I am not greedy at all when it comes to stuff like this. Case in point: I recently hunted a dry lake bed for meteorites that most, if not all, hunters had given up on because of lack of finds. In just 4 weeks time I pulled over one pound of meteorites out of there. I had some folks from the forums contact me and ask if I would mind if they came out to hunt. Since these individuals were kind enough to ask me, even though they had no obligation to considering I don't own the lake bed, I was quick to say yes. We met up and I took them to the spots where we had been making our finds and luckily three finds were made that day; one by me and one each for two other members. We went back out as a group a couple of more times until every one of us had pulled a meteorite from the lake bed. If I found another good spot I would do the same thing over again.

Yes, I know it is not gold and dry lake finds are usually not worth much if anything at all, but to me they are worth more than you could give me for them. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't take someone else out to the spot and help them find one by telling them what I know about their look and characteristics. Anyway, I have rambled enough. Sorry for the long read. Happy Hunting everyone!

X2 what Bob said.

From the trash area the folks walked over to get to the old diggings

post-861-0-75511100-1388025388_thumb.jpg

Edited by nvchris

To Chris Coffee,

Spend some time nugget hunting in the mountains, southeast of Bakersfield. both on the southeast and the northwest areas of them mountains.

Would love to beep that area, to far to travel for me. Tip given to me from an old miner who was very successful. Enjoy,bob

Thank you, Bob. I will do that. Willing to try anything, anywhere.

You are paying your dues for sure. Low and slow as you can go. I've known folks for many years out detecting and never found squat and others absolute newbies found quite a few pounds this year along with 5 shot derringer and many relics also. If/when possible reduce your travel time to a minium as just time lost. Did you have any experience with a detector prior to that 5000?? I always tell folks that jump in green is a very tough thing as does require that"sixth sense" to know where to look and when to pack it up and go home. Feets on the ground matter sooo much. When I try to "think about it" I miss gold as I just let it flow and go to where the ol'experienced brain sends me. That's the crutch of the problem,EXPERIENCES, and where your going to also is a HUGE part also. Throwing cash at it is a waste of time. Get a unit with a real disc,work parks,beaches and such to REALLY LEARN your machine as no shortcuts work-lotza luck-John

Chris, I bought my GB2 around 3 years ago for $450. I have put a lot of hours on it and really beat it up packing it around on my motorcycle. I was searching for meteorites mostly at Franconia and Gold Basin and found nothing on the first 3 or 4 trips. Looking back I am sure I must have swung my coil over numerous meteorites but I did not know at the time the difference between a hot rock and meteorite or a true target. It all sounded the same to me, I was digging up hot rocks every few feet, very frustrating! I bought a couple cheap small meteorites on Ebay and started throwing one of them down every 15 minutes or so when I was hunting just to get familiar with the sound. A true target whether it be gold or a meteorite will sound slightly different and more crisp with the GB2. I finally learned what hot rocks sounded like and was able to avoid having to dig all those false targets. Same thing with gold, I found my first .2 gram nugget only a couple months ago by panning but it gave me a target to throw down to test my GB2 with in the field. It has helped me fine more. I have 8 nuggets now, all small and most of them are only .1 or .2 grams but half of them were found with my dry washer. I mention the dry washer because it has really helped me to read the creek channels. I have taken my little washer to areas at the Gold Basin GPAA claim site where dry wash holes are everywhere and have sampled many of the holes left behind, some of them many feet deep. I sort of assumed that if someone spent that many hours working a hole that deep that there must be a lot of placer gold in it. So far that appears not to be the case! I have found placer gold in each of them but in very small amounts that make me question why so much time was spent on these holes. I decided to try some areas that no one had dry washed before, actually right by my camp in very small drainages that you would assume not much gold should be in. For me that has worked great and I am continuing to work those drainages. Small drainages are easy to work because the gravel is shallow and bedrock is usually only a few inches deep. And the gold that my drywasher if finding is much larger with small nuggets than the large washes everyone is working where it tends to be all specs. So for me these have been good areas for not just the dry washer but also the GB2 which will find those super tiny nuggets. The big washes are so deep that the GB2 would have a hard time picking up the small nuggets that are no doubt down on the bedrock, but too deep for the GB2 to pick them up. Well, enough rambling, good luck and hope you get a great deal on a GB2.....jim

X-2 What B.B. and H.J said

Succesful Nugget hunting is Patience with 10% machine and 90% Skill. Take your time and learn the machine. just my .2 cents. Jon

I have an original gold bug, probably at least 20 years old. My daughter detected a small nugget with it, quite shallow at a WSPA outing last summer, the detector gives of a clear zip over a target. Any comments about that machine from knowledgable guys is appreciated. Chris, you are doing the right thing, sooner or later you are going to swing over a nugget. I am wanting to get out to the Randsburg area soon, and will be happy to show you the area where I found two quarter gram bits, there is a target about every four feet or so there, mostly lead and brass. My belief is there is still gold there since others have either ignored the trash or not hunted that area, not to mention having found gold there myself.... If you want to meet up there send me a pm and we will set something up.

Jeff

Jeff,

I would love to meet you at Randsburg sometime. I will be meteorite hunting this weekend, so maybe next. And just so you are aware beforehand, when I do meet you there I will not bring my GB Pro. Or at least if I do it will be left in my truck while we are at your area. As I have stated earlier, I am not trying to get folks to just take me to where they find their gold. I will walk with you, talk with you, and bring my digital voice recorder so I can learn all I can. Thank you so much for the offer.

Edited by Chris Coffee

I gave a Gold Bug to my friends Grandson to remember him by this year. Frank could afford anything he wanted but kept it for many many years. I like having 3 units to round out my arsenal and backup is great when unit gets damaged and replacement right there. Rogue waves,sliding down a hillside or a boulder going crunch all demand another unit.I am ALWAYS on the lookout for a new unit and there are quite a few UNPROVEN, as of now, new units out and quite a bit of hype thrown in also. Since dredging banned in kalif the demand for water units is spiking bigtime. Miss my ol'Infinium and will be testing some new contenders asap-John

Edited by Hoser John

Chris,

For what it is worth....

I hunt with a Minelab 2100sd. I also use a GB2. I consistently find gold in the same areas I have found it for ten years. I have shown dozens of people my patches and dozens more have hit them on their own. Several fellows have hit them with expensive machines and a lot of know-how. A lot of gold has been found.

I can still make $9 an hour there. Others can use a good machine and search for days and find nothing. But there are still areas loaded with junk that have whoppers under it. And the areas that have been "completely cleaned" has only the whispers of the nuggets laying at frostline. In all the years the spot(s) have been hit very few have gone home with gold. Most fellers have done nothing but worn out their boots digging up all the garbage.

So my old saying is that "If I didn't hammer it, it is not hammered". And then I go back and hammer it again. And again. Nuggets are EXTREMELY difficult to find and darn near impossible to clean out.

When that Minelab won't produce anymore I go back to those hot spots with zero tramp targets. I rake off the surface gravel in rows or squares and get on my hands and knees and run the GB2. Sometimes you realize that all the gold was bigger and the Minelab got it all. Sometimes there is PLENTY of small targets.

In arroyos and gulches only a small percentage is detectable. You can't find much unless you move the rocks out. I like to spend an hour cobbling out rocks and raking down gravel in a strip. THEN go over the contour of the bedrock. It gets you a lot closer to the gold and eliminates a lot of noise for the VLF detectors.

And one more thing that I might pass on. I don't "swing" a coil. Not even close to a swing. I think of how a cricket moves his feelers along. Sorta touching and moving. Not back and forth but almost "pumping" the coil slightly up and down. If I get even a slight rise in threshold I will probe it. THEN I will swing back and forth a FEW INCHES to see if I can make a repeatable signal out of it. The coil is always in contact with the ground...if not actually sliding across the rocks then "bobbling" over them. And instead of going around rocks I kick most of them outof my way. In an area littered with cobbles I will remove them by hand or rake them into rows.

I have detected, raked, detected, drywashed, left the area for ten years to be hammered by dozens of guys. Then come back and found nice gold right where so many have been before.

Look for workings! Don't stray too far from where gold has been located before. Fear not the garbage dump