Nugget Shooter Forums
Chris Coffee

Gold Bug 2 Question

Bob, I want to thank you for taking the time to supply me with that information. I truly appreciate it. The raking part has got me to thinking. One of the areas that I hunt I have become very good friends with the land owner. He has pulled quite a few nuggets out of a specific area of his property (he actually owns the land, not just a claim), but he recently had a gentleman come in with a loader and scrape about 3" of topsoil off of it because his finds had slowed down. He didn't go through all of the piles of dirt that were pushed to the sides so I am thinking that I need to take a rake and shovel and start knocking down some of those piles and going through them. 3" of topsoil is quite a bit and I am sure that there were some smaller pieces pushed around in that process. And I have to admit, I never even considered moving rocks out of the way (at least the ones softball size and larger). If I couldn't just kick it and move it, then it stayed where it was. I will definitely put some of your advice to work. Thank you again.

Edited by Chris Coffee

Chris, that sounds good, I have no secrets,'just stuff I have discovered,talking with, observing, and reading the experiences of others more knowledgable than. Years of cumulative experience to be found here, so why reinvent the wheel? Thanks to all of you guys who share valuable wisdom so freely! Can anyone explain the reason (s) the newer GB variants are superior to the original?? I know the frequencies are different, but the old one still finds Oro ! Thanks guys

Jeff

Chris,

Do you own a copy of Chris Ralph's (A.K.A. Reno Chris) book, Fist Full of Gold?

If not I would suggest that you get a copy, it maybe just what you need to help with the learning curve of finding places to find the gold.

Chris,

Do you own a copy of Chris Ralph's (A.K.A. Reno Chris) book, Fist Full of Gold?

If not I would suggest that you get a copy, it maybe just what you need to help with the learning curve of finding places to find the gold.

Au,

I did have a copy of his book, but it went with the bundle when I sold my 5000. I do remember that it had some awesome info in it. I read it cover-to-cover one time, and to be honest I only remember bits and pieces from it now. So I will have to pick up another copy. It is a FANTASTIC book, and I even made sure to tell Chris the same thing.

Chris,

I found this posted on another forum and thought of you and your learning curve of finding gold locations and what the areas look like, it's a report put out by the California Division of Mines and Geology, "Gold Districts Of California", from what I gather it's the latest such report put out by them on California gold districts, it contains a lot of info, but most importantly it describes the geology of the districts as well.

Hopefully it will help you and others just starting out on areas that will help out on finding detectable gold.

https://ia700301.us.archive.org/24/items/golddistrictsofc00clarrich/golddistrictsofc00clarrich.pdf

Hoiwdy Chris,,,, I'm the guy who bought your bundle of books. Also we missed each other at

the General Store and again when you drove by while at Benson Gulch.... Actually you truly

impress me with all of your effort and enery you have shown over the past several years.

There is a "Jim Straight Here" thingy that Bill Southern has pinned up and is paying for it too...

Thank You Bill for your Kindness towards me!... I'm doing pretty good and I'm

not wishing to sell anything but to exchange knowledge and there are many who have

kept the thingy going without any help ftom me... so please feel free to jump in and I promise

to do my level best... with the help of all others who join in.... and most of them are smarter

than me too... I have nothing to push to sell anyone as what seens to work bes for me likely

they have a better way... With this said your choice of prospecting and mining equipment such

as whatever you chose is fine,,, It is you that will make whaterver you use (detector... be it

it either a VLF (analog or digital) or a Pulse.... Or whether you spend $200 or even many

thousand of dollars... But there are cetain basic things that will lead to Borrasca or Bonanza.

With this said Chris you aere most welcome to join in around the electronic bondfire and

everyone else is also welcome too.... Hope to see you there... Jim Straight

• Like 1

Mitchel,

Thanks for the phone call today Hopefully Blake will still have one for me come the 11th. I could easily dip into the money that I have saved for the 5000 to get it now, but I don't want to start that bad habit. I have managed to not take from that fund for the last 7 months, and I'm afraid if I do it now, then it will break my mojo, ya know! When I had my 5000 last year I was out almost every other day for hours and hours hunting and never found anything. I traveled to Gold Basin a few times, Randsburg, the El Paso Mts., Holcomb Valley, Italian Bar (LDMA Claim), the Dale District, and a few places out near Searchlight area. I never found a single thing with it. I was trying to find someone that would teach me how to read the land and geology to better my chances, but that's just not going to happen in this hobby. I can read all the books in the world, but if I don't know what the ground I am supposed to be looking for looks like, then I am just shooting blind and that's not going to do anything but waste time and money....and you've seen my truck so you can imagine how expensive it gets to fill that thing up 3-4 times a week. So yes, after all that time I got frustrated and just sold it. Am I kicking myself in the rear for it now? Yeah, kinda! There is a part of me that doesn't want to get another 5000 because my situation hasn't changed any. I still don't know what to look for as an indicator for gold so am I just going to be getting right back into the same money draining rut? I know my odds are better with the 5000.

And I know that I am not going to get rich by doing this by any means, and I am not expecting that to happen. But it is like buying a $500k Lamborghini because it will top 200MPH and never being able to get it up to that speed. People buy these Minelabs because they want to find gold, and it is very disheartening when you spend months and months searching endlessly and never come up with anything. But I am not one to give up on something forever, so I will try it again. I have a Gold Bug Pro right now that I have been using for a while that belongs to a friend of mine and I have skunked with it, too! I am now on my 17th 9V battery in the thing in the last 6 months so it is getting used A LOT! So I will be buying the GB2 so he can have his machine back. I have tried to get him to sell me his Eureka Gold but he wont...LOL!

Chris,

This is the first time I have read this thread and I didn't know you put this on or I would have responded sooner. You know and have been with me to the beaches I hunt and I do pretty good at those locations.

I mostly share your frustration for finding gold. This has changed somewhat after the month of November when after a year of not finding gold I found Gold in three different places.

I've been skunked on so many trips I can't count them but I was 'driven' like you to keep hunting. I shared my frustrations here on different forums also. What sometimes made it more 'baffling' was I would see others hunting in the same places I go and they would find gold there. (I've been to Gold Basin 12 or 13 trips.)

What changed for me in November? I bought a used NF coil and my 3rd day of using it I found a nice meteorite and a 4.5 g piece of gold at Gold Basin. This was a 3 day trip. Most of the guys I see finding gold here on this forum go out for several days even if they live 'close' to good areas. They camp close to where they hunt.

This hobby/pursuit/mining business is not inexpensive. We have had a good fall of less expensive gas but we have also seen gold prices drop to $1200. A budget of a few thousand dollars for prospecting needs to be put aside in order to have enough time to fill up the poke. The old timers had to get the mules together, supplies and stay out there.

I follow Shep, Fred and Frank C when they tell me they are going some place for a week or more. They are EXPERTS and I look at their finds. Gold is hard to find even for them ... for all of us. Jason camps in Meadview for months to find his gold there.

I read most of the responses to you and I learned a lot from those. I'll just add that you have to have 'confidence' your machine is working and you are going to find gold that others failed to get. That means you are going to be hunting in an area where gold has been found. Research does help just like it did for you with finding the meteorites.

We'll chat more later and hunt together again soon.

Mitchel

Jim Straight....I could never forget you, my friend. The few hours my friend and I spent at your house with you last year was one of the best times I have had in the time I have been prospecting. Your kindness and hospitality will be forever remembered. Maybe one of these days when I'm down your way I can stop in again and chat with you. You are knowledgeable beyond measure in this field and the hobby/community as a whole owes you a great deal of gratitude for your time and effort to help us all.

Mitchel....I remember the beach day well. Still wish we had had more time to spend with you that day. It is to bad we live so far from the beach. It would be a blast to hunt with you more often. I have one of three choices when it comes to a detector. I can either spend $1000 on a new GB2 Pro Pack, take $2500 and put down towards a new 5000, or look for a used 5000 for about $3500-$4000. I don't know for sure if I was using my 5000 correctly when I had it or not. What I do know is that I was finding tiny lead shot, bullets, and little bitty slivers of wire (like from a wire brush) over a foot deep in a regular basis. I do not know everything about the machines by any means, but I think I was using it correctly. I do not like to lose at things so I can't give up until I find something spectacular gold-wise. Maybe we can hit the basin or Franconia together sometime before it gets too hot.

Au.....thank you so much for thinking of me when you found the publication. I really appreciate it. I am going to read it right after I hit the button to add this reply.

Good luck to all in your hunts.

I don't want to start a spitting match between model enthusiasts, but if you are already considering a used GB2/5000 then why not a used 4500?

Judging from your statements here I think it's highly unlikely that you'd notice any difference between the two machines until you got a few more years under your belt.

Or if you are set on the 5000 then wait until ML releases their new model and the subsequent increase of used 5000's on the market afterwards.

Just throwing some options out there since you said you only had 3 choices. Honestly, and this is something you'll hear regularly too, the majority of the gold I've found I could have found with a 3500, or even a 2200. And the GB2 will take care of those fine bits much better than the fine gold setting on the 5000 anyways.

On the other note, I personally do think a guy can become successful by studying geology and history. It's what worked for me, and while there are some that find more gold than I, there are some that find a lot less too so take it for what its worth. Maybe there are different schools in detecting, but this works for me so I can vouch for it.

I firmly believe that a guy who goes into a goldfield without at least a solid foundational knowledge of the geology and mining history of the area is going to be relying on luck to make his finds if you don't have someone else there with experience to show you at least some basic ropes (which most of us don't). I also think a guy who doesn't have a true interest in the land, topology, geology, mineralogy, and history may as well sell the detector and just buy a lottery ticket and go workout at the gym instead.

Knowledge is power, a lasting statement for a reason. If no one will share knowledge then a guy has to gain it on his own. Read a book, spend a couple days on wikipedia, take photos out the field, dig about, pay attention to layers, consistencies, ordering, deposition patterns, everything. Keep your eyes open. Do a lot of drywashing and correlate your observations to your book theory to get a handle on reality, note where the gold is concentrating. Use those observations to tighten your detecting areas down, and pretty soon you will be using your time more efficiently and wasting less time on ground which has a much lower chance of producing. Soon you'll start finding nuggets and then you'll have more data to correlate to your observations.

I wrote an article last year on the anatomy of a nugget patch (actually 3 combined and all 3 in areas you hunt in) including the geology and how it helped me find the patch. I don't give any locations, but I have a map of the finds and the geology overlain. Read it for what its worth if you are interested. I wrote it because I felt much the same as you, that no one really shares much (and for good reason sometimes).

Every goldfield is different, so expect to do a lot of studying. I spend pretty much all night studying if I'm visitng other places, and the days detecting. Detecting is more than walking about and swinging a coil, if you want to be successful at least. You are Sherlock Holmes out there. You need to have a love for the mystery of each new place. Make observations. Lots of them. Remember them, and correlate them. That's a big part of detecting, and one that isn't spoken much of, but a part that I think prevents a lot of people from becoming succesful.

• Like 1

Jason Very good advice. Like you said every area is different and its up to you to figure it out, I call it playing a game, you have Patience and enjoy doing this year after year. also what makes it more dificult is Gold loves Bad ground !

Michel; don't be telling lies about me-I am far from an expert!!! But, thanks for including my name in such an successful list...

Chris, I have followed your posts since the beginning. You have gone through some really good detectors; from this recent post it appears you were using your 5000 correctly...so, what is missing? Perhaps you are looking in the wrong places- that is not likely.

Perhaps you think you are being patient, but, possibly not. In my early days I thought I was more than patient...I was not...

I think you were/are on the edge of success...slow way down and pay real close attention to that still small signal...you will have success.

fred

• Like 1

Jason..Thank you for that very informative post. Please believe me when i say that it did NOT fall on deaf ears. Well, technically it didn't fall on "blind eyes", but you know what I mean. :D

Fred...I can completely understand how Michel would mention your name in his list. I have watched your posts as well and I know that you are successful in your hunting. You are correct, I have been through numerous detectors and I really should have kept the 5000 I had last year. I kick myself now for getting rid of it, but at the time I just couldn't see keeping it when the money i got out of it could go to so many other things. We live and learn...and I learned! You know, I never really thought about how many detectors I have been through until you mentioned it just now. So here is a list of the detectors I have purchased, and subsequently sold.

Minelab GPX 5000 with 5 coils

Minelab Eureka Gold

Minelab X-Terra 705 Pro Pack (two of them, in fact)

Minelab SE Pro

White's GMT

White's MXT

Fisher Gold Bug Pro with 2 coils

Yeah, not good!!!! :nutty:

As long as we learn we progress.

I suggest you pick an area known to have/had nuggets and concentrate there until you find a nugget; that success will give you the power to find more and then more.

I went through a few detectors before I really understood that I was the main problem...I am still the main problem but I do stumble over a nugget now and then...

fred