Nugget Shooter Forums

Found this in DRC, again not sure what it is. Some quartz I assume and looks to me like a little gold here and there or iron pyrite. Its one of my favorites because I found it.

post-27023-0-42774900-1387578213_thumb.j

post-27023-0-39036400-1387578235_thumb.j

post-27023-0-32868200-1387578268_thumb.j

post-27023-0-12232500-1387578306_thumb.j

post-27023-0-88621000-1387578337_thumb.j

post-27023-0-29982900-1387578377_thumb.j

post-27023-0-85375300-1387578410_thumb.j

No not metallic, magnet gets 0 affect. When I hold it close to a bulb it appears to be a very dark purple and reflects light only at the tip of the point. I'm going to have to get some specific equipment if I'm going to be serious about this don't even have a magnifying glass.

post-27023-0-02878200-1387584696_thumb.j

post-27023-0-98841200-1387584699_thumb.j

Penni,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for posting your awesome photos I have checked out of of your posts and photos to date, very nice specimens!! :thumbsupanim

Haderly has directed you to a very good database of minerals with a large number of photos and information, Mindat, it's an awesome site.

It's very possible that it could be gold on this specimen, but it could also be Chacopyrite which looks very much like gold, even more so than pyrite, a simple little test may prove which it is, use a sharp pointed instrument, a large sewing needle, a knife point, etc. and carefully in inconspicuous spot so as to not damage the specimen to much, push the point into the suspected gold if it indents and doesn't chip or flake the suspected gold, it's very likely gold, but if it does chip/flake I would bet on it being Chacopyrite, which is what i suspect it to be, Haderly could also be correct that it's Bornite, but your specimen could have Chacopyrite, Bornite and Pyrite on it from what I see in the photos.

http://www.mindat.org/min-955.html

Will do Au seeker, back in a moment.

It did not shatter and did leave a tiny dent where I poked the most gold looking stuff with a very sturdy needle, this is a pretty small specimen 2" x 1/12" rock. The Gold, Pyrite, Chacopyrite, Bornite are extremely small and with out the proper tools (using my reading glasses) it appears that it actually left a dentand scratch where the needle slipped, so dent, scratch.

Its amazing how such a small thing can hold so much beauty though, minerals are like galaxy's the more you look the more you see, I love this rock. All the different textures, colors and shapes.

Well Penni, it could very well be gold, I'm sure that you still have some Chacopyrite and or Bornite along with the possible gold, some of the gold like areas have a very cubic shape to the pieces, and even though gold can have the same shape, it is not as common and usually has a worn down look, and almost all Chacopyrite, Pyrite and Bornite will have that cubic shape.

Now you can try to see if you can do a streak test, try and rub the possible gold on a piece of unglazed ceramic, if you get a gold streak it looks like it is gold, if the streak is greenish/black it's Chacopyrite or Pyrite, if it's grey/black it's Bornite,

I agree, it's a very nice specimen!

Get yourself a jeweler's lope to start, they aren't very expensive.

Skip

:cowboypistol: Feeling a bit overwhelmed, but very inspired to be a part of this forum.Thank you Haderly and Au Seeker for welcoming me and engaging with me. I'm not new to getting out there moving material spending all day digging and walking and climbing sliding on my back side because I see some color at the bottom of that ravine and then climbing out of said ravine. Its what I love doing and am super stoked to have a forum to share my love of this! I've got a bigger than I thought amount of mineral as I've been collecting stuff for a long time. Hope it is a ok to post photos of the stuff I have collected over the years and not be redundant. New chapter in my life

Penni, feel free to post your pictures, that's what this section of the forum is for!!

Just a little helpful tip, if you put a space between the smiley/emoticon and the text it will show up, I fixed it for you in your other posts.

Thanks for the tip on the emoticons, not the one I meant to choose LOL. Ordering a Jeweler's Lope today, when it comes in I'll try the streak test.

Many Thanks.

mindat site is Awesome!

It's a bit difficult for an expat to get out and do any digging in the Congo, where there are minerals to be found the Congolese have found them and are not likely to share.

Once in a while we happen upon stuff on the ground. Most of the mineral I bring back I buy from the guys digging it, at what I believe to be very cheap.

Dutchman I guess that is what you meant by finding a good source.

A lot of those Congo guy's know what minerals are valuable. I take a small chance as a buck or two is all they ask for most of the time.

I'm going back for a few weeks in March, then most likely going back to live for another year or two next fall. Hoping to bring home some unique minerals but will need some one to ID and value them for me, I'll be learning as I go but will never have the skill and expertise of those you obviously possess :worship:

Should have stayed in school.

Once in a while we happen upon stuff on the ground. Most of the mineral I bring back I buy from the guys digging it, at what I believe to be very cheap.

Dutchman I guess that is what you meant by finding a good source.

A lot of those Congo guy's know what minerals are valuable. I take a small chance as a buck or two is all they ask for most of the time.

I don't see any way you can lose money buying specimens for a buck or two then reselling them. That is, if they are similar to the photos you've posted here so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like sphalerite with chalcopyrite on Quartz . A very nice specimen!

I agree and posted another specimen of Sphalerite just now in a new thread. Cool stuff and one of my favorites as it often contains fire.