Nugget Shooter Forums

Alamo lake bog

Does anyone have a good picture of petrified palm wood, or "palm bog" like what can be found out near Alamo Lake?

We were out there a couple weeks ago, and tried looking for it, but I'm not sure what it really should look like. The only pic. in my rock book is an old black and white photo. :???: We did find a little bit of nice agate looking stuff.

Alamo Lake has some really nice palm but the palm bog comes from Anderson Mine which is about 16 miles east of the lake. I don't have any pictures yet but I just got some at an estate sale a few weeks ago. It does not look anything like palm and is 1-2 inch seams. Supposedly you can find pieces that have palm fragments but I have not seen any in the rough I have. I will see if I can find some time this weekend to take some pictures for you.

I found some pictures for you on the web, the first one is a polished piece from Alamo Lake so it might not help with finding raw specimens.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/115118965/huge-christmas-sale-petrified-palm-wood

il_570xN.395747435_8l0z.jpg

This is a link to many photos, some may not even be palm or the ones that are maybe from some other location, but most are palm, you can click on any picture and then click on the link at the bottom to go to the site where the photo was originally posted which may state where the specimen was collected.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=petrified+palm+wood&qpvt=petrified+palm+wood&FORM=IGRE

The palm bog is different in that it is not actually palm but can contain small pieces along with twigs or anything else that was in the bog. It was also compressed so the petrified bits and pieces have been deformed.

That's interesting. Don't know if I've ever heard of that before.. So the petrified bog would be a composite of palm bits?