Nugget Shooter Forums

Drywasher question....

Jim Gilmore

Wondering if anybody could give accurate answers to my question here...

Assuming that the ground is dry and we are working a few different machines....

How much dirt an hour can a drywasher actually process....

Do not coonsider the large keene because its beyone that of one person to really move around easily and run...

Thing or maybe the keene electric, or the gold buddy pony or even the ole yeller..

I am looking if any one if actually faster.

My biggest problem is that I'm using an ole yeller but the feed seems a bit slow.

Not sure if the keene electric is any faster.

or if the gold buddy pony would be any faster.

I'd really like a unit that I could load a lot into and let run for a bit...

I have the Gold Buddy Pony and I can realistically run four to seven five gallon buckets for hour once classified. This would be after the first is dug and classified to half inch. I've tried running unclassified dirt through there, but that ends up being three to five times as much buckets I put through there. I've read a pony is rated for 3/4 a ton or 30 buckets per hour, much more than 4 to 7 buckets, but I ran my tailings through a trommel and got some gold. So, I get about a 70% recovery rate from my dry washer.

I've seen the 151 for sale as cheap as $500. I saw a one on E-bay for $800. Those prices are with a blower. My partner has a 151 now, so we exclusively use that when we go out. It gets a better recovery rate with barely anything in the tailings.

As a fantastic refrence you can buy any number of books on drywashing by Jim Short from Bill still I believe?? Anyhow,constant flow,offest elliptical vibration is the best a the best a the best and acclaimed by numerous manufacturers. Most important piece of equipment is a DUST MASK of a good caliper to protect your lungs from Desert Fever as it's a killer-John

I have the Gold Buddy Maverick but I don't do buckets I just shovel on to it. You could put 1/4" hardware cloth over the grizzly and then adjust the gate so that it would feed evenly.

I just try to shovel at an even speed and after awhile shovel my tailings back across a 2nd time .

I have been using the Keene 151 for 20 years and it still runs. But every tool is not made for every job. if you want to move material..and lots of it, get the Keene 151 1500 plus tax. Another suggestion is Royal , it's built well and is a large capacity unit. You can run it with a vac pak or just by the hopper, than buy a blower from Keene and you would save 500 bucks and have a great machine.The smaller units are portable and easy to pack into some tight spots..and great for testing. Good Luck.

Wondering if anybody could give accurate answers to my question here...

Assuming that the ground is dry and we are working a few different machines....

How much dirt an hour can a drywasher actually process....

Do not coonsider the large keene because its beyone that of one person to really move around easily and run...

Thing or maybe the keene electric, or the gold buddy pony or even the ole yeller..

I am looking if any one if actually faster.

My biggest problem is that I'm using an ole yeller but the feed seems a bit slow.

Not sure if the keene electric is any faster.

or if the gold buddy pony would be any faster.

I'd really like a unit that I could load a lot into and let run for a bit...

For what it is worth, I actually timed how long it took me to process 1 bucket through my hand operated puffer. Soil conditions were wetter than desired and it took me 10 minutes for each bucket and 300 strokes of the bellows. That does not include the time to dig the gravel, just feeding the hopper from a bucket already full. With good dry gravel I believe I can probably reduce process time to 5 minutes and 150 strokes as I noticed the drier top soils ran through the riffle tray far faster. ....jim

My hand crank runs a bucket in two minutes or thirty buckets an hour. The blower unit will comfortably do a yard an hour over the table. In perfect conditions much more.

I like your engineering Jim. Complete with volume over time. That is the only way to actually estimate progress. And in the end it is "grams per day" or "grams per trip".

The biggest problem is that The ole yeller I have tends to run too slow. Unless I am incorrect in that overloading the riffels is bad...

I have a second drwasher that I made aa long time ago but I need to replace the bellow cloth.

Biggest problem is that trying to get a machine to properly load and run with out needing constant adjustment.

They tend to either have the dirt load too fast and just block all the riffels and then you dont see any puffing...

or the feed blocks and they run bare....

I try to only run under 1/4 inch usually.

BUt my club has 2 claims....and the second claim you can basically screen it to minus 1/8 first. I know I have gotten decent gold but had to run at least 20-30 buckets of screened material. If I can get the drywasher to run more consistantly feed wise It will allow me to run more.

I think the first thing will be to reedsign the upper hopper and its feed system a little..and change the bars that hold that hopper up to be a little more adjustable.....