Nugget Shooter Forums

Tucson WHAT WHAT WHAT!

I'm a newbie who was around for a while trying to figure this stuff out, & then disappeared for a while due to tumultuous times on the personal front.

I just found out there was an event here last night - I am so excited I can barely concentrate to type this.

I am trying to figure out where I can go to hunt later today. Is anyone here aware of finds yet, & if so, where?

Thank you, Ed! :-) I saw that article as well. I still don't know what land is public and how to get permission etc. That part really freaks me out. I am so excited though! It is crazy!!!

Mike I need to do that. Going through a divorce and money is almost nonexistent. The maps are kinda expensive for me.

Appears to be mostly on state land, City land, private property and a smidgeon of BLM land.

I got the picture from AMSmeteor.org and the map from www.AZland.gov. I can't vouch for the accuracy, it took me about 15 minutes to put together.

post-26611-0-26129300-1386809848_thumb.j

post-26611-0-30113400-1386809849_thumb.j

post-26611-0-98428800-1386809849_thumb.j

They're $4 each, no tax, no shipping.

I know - not that expensive really but expensive for me at this time. :)

Appears to be mostly on state land, City land, private property and a smidgeon of BLM land.

I got the picture from AMSmeteor.org and the map from www.AZland.gov. I can't vouch for the accuracy, it took me about 15 minutes to put together.

Oh my gosh thank you!!!!!! So helpful.

I spent all afternoon looking in some areas outside the targeted zone. No luck! Is there anyone who found / knows of anyone who found anything so far? So exciting.

Rarity,

Go on to the BLM website and look at the maps there. It will show you public vs private.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=SiteMapper

Make sure you look for Surface Management Agency (check it) and you will know what is going on with the land.

Mitchel

Once you get in the AZland.gov map, it's very accurate and will give you township, range, quarter section, and even lat long. It shows you what land is what status. You could set GPS coors off this and is free. You can zoom in anywhere in AZ to find land.

Its one of three things I look at before going to a new area. I find land status with the AZland.gov, claim status with LR2000, and to see if anyone has put a claim in more recently than LR2000, the coutnty site.

Looks like it is real close to the toto Odedem indiain resevation,State land don't allow metal detecting,but you can get acess with a hunting licence or a permit for 15.00 i don't know about meteor hunting.There is a power line road that cuts through the south end of the area they think it ended up in.i would be out there but i fell and broke my wrist yesterday,having surgery tomarrow morning. the power line runs to the west of silver bell and the sawtooths from freindly corner near eloy south to below tucson.

Edited by kelly starkey

There's a prior post on prospecting on state land. I can't cut and paste, but its titles "What are the laws for prospecting on state trust land." I guess its not allowed and if caught your metal detector can be confiscated for evidence. Many square miles of open land, so it would be hard to patrol that, but a lot of attention is probably being paid to that area.

I went out today and looked in two areas which were probably highly unlikely places, bc there are hardly any 'yellow' (BLM) spots on the map, and none I can find directly within the specified area 'they' 'think it fell. I feel like since I don't know what I'm doing, I shouldn't ask people to look on their property. But I really, really want to. If anyone is going out looking who would not mind me tagging along, I would be so incredibly grateful.

I also have been googling and googling, trying to find any info about finds from this fall. Is it silly to do this? Will people keep quiet about what they find? I really want to see what it looks like and have an idea of the area!

Thanks for letting me ask so many goofy questions...

Viewing satellite imagery , it looks like the fall is west of the Silver Bell Mine. You can drive the mine road all the way around to the back side ( west) park your car, and hike around the areas to the west of the road. Not sure if the mine owns some of that land or not, I`m guessing not, but they will have signs up if they do. There is nothing out there as far as homes or anything that I can remember.

From what I have been seeing this most likely dropped in the Ironwood National Monument... The monument area was recently expanded and is all off limits to detecting or collecting of any kind.

Viewing satellite imagery , it looks like the fall is west of the Silver Bell Mine. You can drive the mine road all the way around to the back side ( west) park your car, and hike around the areas to the west of the road. Not sure if the mine owns some of that land or not, I`m guessing not, but they will have signs up if they do. There is nothing out there as far as homes or anything that I can remember.

Oh, nice tip, thank you! Is this BLM land? I will look on the map a bit later... wish I could head out again today.

From what I have been seeing this most likely dropped in the Ironwood National Monument... The monument area was recently expanded and is all off limits to detecting or collecting of any kind.

Oh! The last info I had was that it was OK to collect there, so I'm glad you mentioned this. I'm so bummed, that had been my next place to check out.

• 4 weeks later...

Ben, thanks. I know it's unlikely anyone would tell me WHERE any have been found. (Though I would love a hint about where to look....)

I am wondering whether people have been finding any from the Dec 11 fall?

I've gone out a few times looking, but I don't know what I'm doing, and haven't found my first meteorite yet. I am obsessed and it is maddening!

(I bought BLM maps, by the way, at long last.)

Edited by rarity