Nugget Shooter Forums

NEW MINELAB DETECTOR

frank c

They now put a picture up and called it the SDC-2300, my somewhat educated guess $2700.....

Compact – 16 inch (40.64cm)

· Waterproof – 10ft (3ft)

· Rugged and assembly free

· High performance MPF technology

· Audio and Visual Target Response

· Easy to use

· Intuitive icon user interface

· C –Cell Batteries Included

· Quick and Easy patch hunting

http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/knowledge-base/news?article=204672

Edited by El Dorado

They now put a picture up and called it the SDC-2300, my somewhat educated guess $2700.....

Compact – 16 inch (40.64cm)

· Waterproof – 10ft (3ft)

· Rugged and assembly free

· High performance MPF technology

· Audio and Visual Target Response

· Easy to use

· Intuitive icon user interface

· C –Cell Batteries Included

· Quick and Easy patch hunting

http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/knowledge-base/news?article=204672

I'm assuming that the (3ft) mentioned here ..."Waterproof – 10ft (3ft)...is a typo and should read (3M)? :idunno:

Three different places in the document, they refer to MPF. Three times is probably too much to chalk up to a typo when they meant to write MPS.

Between their talking about "improved MPF technology" (whatever that is) and the model number SDC-2300, I'm wondering if the detector itself is a development of the SD-2100/2200 platform rather than the "guts" of the F3 Compact mine detector that the case was developed for. According to ML's website, the F3 uses MPS technology.

Looks great, lets wait and see how it performs out in the field. I like how compact it is as there are many place I would crawl into and my 4500 snags left and right on branches. Having this unit as a second alternate to the GPX would make sense to me. Also, I can see strapping this sucker on my back and hiking into some remote areas that do not have road access. I would say 50% of my prospecting is done on my hands and knees and for me this would be a Huge ! :wee: improvement on my comfort level and the amount of ground I can cover in some hard to get areas. The more I think about this new Minelab the more excited I get, and it's only 6 a.m. I know if I had this machine I would probably use it half the time and the GPX half the time. If Minelab is at all interested in contacting me to do a lot of testing... :brows: I would gladly volunteer for the job :4chsmu1: .

From what we see so far seems like its an SD Series continuation with a model "C" added , most likely means SD series Compact.
One things kinda certain we won't know much more till January so they say.

Edited by frank c

Three different places in the document, they refer to MPF. Three times is probably too much to chalk up to a typo when they meant to write MPS.

Between their talking about "improved MPF technology" (whatever that is) and the model number SDC-2300, I'm wondering if the detector itself is a development of the SD-2100/2200 platform rather than the "guts" of the F3 Compact mine detector that the case was developed for. According to ML's website, the F3 uses MPS technology.

It is PI and the MPF is not a typo it is new technology and there will be more info fairly soon....

Mr. Bill, I've heard the stock 8" coil is "hardwired". :th:

Yes it is from what is going around... Not sure what that is about, but seems like a "restrictive to versatility" idea and what they do with the Excalibur as well. There has now also proven to be some serious competition in the mid range PI fiels with the new Garrett ATX as well which I will be getting in as soon as back orders are filled. I will also be doing some messing with one soon, but some friends including Rob over at Rob's Detector Sales have told me some pretty good things about this unit and what is capable of....

One other good thing about the Garrett ATX is the coils are also "hard wired", but it has three coils for it. So you just change the entire shaft out that has your coil of choice on it.

My bud from OKC that was visiting here last month saw his first ATX here at the Garrett dealer. He returned to OKC and on the day they had snow and ice on the roads he drove from OKC to Garland, Tx and bought his ATX with all three coils and the hard travel case. Two days later he left for El Salvador, that was the 5th of Dec, here it is the 21st and I haven't heard a word from him since. Hope he's finding a lot of gold.

Many of the manufactures are seeming to be building their detector so only their own coils and accessories will work and seems Minelab is also going this direction and has been for a while now and most of the new detectors coming out have a chip in the coil itself that communicates with the control box making them more stable etc. Coiltek is now making all of the "aftermarket" coils for Minelab detectors with these chips like the X-TERRA etc. and I think this will be true for many of their new units in the future as well... I am thinking there will be more than one coil option for the new high end gold detector that will surly show up soon from Minelab, but there is no info available about even if one will be introduced anytime soon so we wait.

It does though appear that many of the companies that make their living making products to fit other companies products may be seeing their options becoming more limited since the new coils all contain the chip and will not work without. The manufacturer then has control over what accessories such as coils will "fit" their new detectors.

Many do not like change and I can remember feeling this way when the PI showed up lol, but it is seeming the new detectors and manufacturers of them are changing the playing field once again... I am pretty sure the Minelab GPX series will also be a thing of the past whan Minelab introduces their next model....

'a thing of the past"??? Technology continues to advance into uncharted waters...but, you can still get around in a row-boat....and gold will continue to be detected with vlf and pi machines for many years...I bet it could still be found with a BFO detector if someone had a virgin spot to use it on...

Whatever Minelab has developed will, no doubt, be wonderful beyond our fondest dreams; but hopefully not beyond our pocket-books...

and hopefully, they will not be parceling out the improvements one piece at a time like they seemed to do with the 2000 through 5000...

fred