Nugget Shooter Forums

Two more finds today!!!

We went back out to the lake bed today and met up with Richard and Mitchel. It took a better part of the day before the first find was made, and of course, April found the two that we have. The first one is a 2.2 Gram piece that she found about 5 hours into the hunt. The picture below is not a good one because I took it here at home under artificial light, but it is definitely a meteorite as now we know what they look like out there, AND it was verified by Richard as well. I will get a better picture of it once the skies clear up and I get some natural sunlight.

22Gram_zps7d708619.jpg

Then we are about to leave just before dark and she calls out to me on the radio "I'm not 100% sure, but I think I got a pretty good sized one". Immediately my brain says, "Every time she says that it turns out to be one", so I walk over and sure enough she had found a 26.1 Gram piece just laying on the surface. Below is a picture of it, again not a great pic because it was literally minutes before it got dark so the flash drowned out the color. Without question it is the same as all the others we have found there. I will get a better picture of this one as well and post it once the sun comes back out.

261Gram_zpsa27db989.jpg

There was a third meteorite found on the lake today as well, but if the finder decides to let everyone know then they can either do it on this post or in one of their own because I don't want to go saying things I shouldn't be.

I want to thank Richard and Mitchel for hunting with us today, and look forward to the next time we can get together. We had a great time and the conversation was awesome. And a very very big THANK YOU goes out to Mitchel for treating my family and I to a nice dinner after the hunt.

If every day was like today there would never be a reason to have a frown on my face. :D

Chris,

Thanks for getting me out to the lake and Richard it was good to see you again. There is one little correction to Chris' story.

I found my first dry lake meteorite! I don't have the picture on my computer yet but it will weigh about 1.5 grams so I can see how Chris would 'forget' it among April's finds.

The other finds that Chris has are really the type of meteorite you can be proud of. They have character, color and enough mass to impress. They do have an eye for them and when you get results it breeds more success.

Congratulations and I'm going to go brave the wind for a return trip in the cold before it rains.

Mitchel

Mitchel, our pleasure, buddy. And thank you for sharing your find as well. It was definitely not forgotten :-). I did mention that there was a third one found, but I was going to let the finder have the honor of telling about it. When we meet up today I will bring my scale so you can weigh it. Congrats on your first dry lake find.

Chris, April, and Mitchel,

Congradulations on another successful lake hunt. You all have the eye and determination for successful hunting. Will see you in the field sometime. Thanks for the stories and pictures.

Dave

Sweet finds, guys! I think we can officially call that spot a honey hole now.

That 26g find looks almost exactly like my 19g, way cool!

Congrats on your first DL find, Mitchel!

Sweet finds, guys! I think we can officially call that spot a honey hole now.

That 26g find looks almost exactly like my 19g, way cool!

Congrats on your first DL find, Mitchel!

Yes, they are all amazingly similar. Has yours started to darken in color at all? Just over the last day or two our previous finds have started to get darker it seems.

Adam,

thank you. I'm sure hoping that we can get this lucky on other dry lakes as well. With the amount of people that are showing up now, I don't see there being too many more of these retrievable for a while. you're welcome to come hunt with us.

Hey thanks Chris,

The way I see it, Meteorites have been hitting earth since , well , forever. They hit day and night every day anywhere at any time. Dry lakes sure offer up an opportunity to spot them easier , and would be a more advantageous way to procure a specie or two :brows:

Chris,

You are right, I didn't read the entire post. I was shutting down to get to the lake this morning.

As it turned out I didn't have much time because the weather was coming in. The total time on the lake was about 2 hours and then on the way back the wind and sand was blowing about 50 mph but the lake was fine, much warmer than yesterday.

I've cleaned up the little 1.8 grammer and it is a cute little meteorite.

Thanks again.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-91737100-1386477007_thumb.j

post-26254-0-15796800-1386477114_thumb.j

post-26254-0-03433900-1386477277_thumb.j

post-26254-0-04025900-1386477306_thumb.j

post-26254-0-46739300-1386477335_thumb.j

Chris,

You are right, I didn't read the entire post. I was shutting down to get to the lake this morning.

As it turned out I didn't have much time because the weather was coming in. The total time on the lake was about 2 hours and then on the way back the wind and sand was blowing about 50 mph but the lake was fine, much warmer than yesterday.

I've cleaned up the little 1.8 grammer and it is a cute little meteorite.

Thanks again.

Mitchel

Mitchel,

Any time, man! It was good to hang out with you again. Last time was the beach, this time the desert...where do we go next? LOL.

That sure is a nice little space rock you got there. We thought the wind was through this evening but they just jacked the high wind warning to gusts of up to 70 MPH out here. Sounds like we're in one of those tornado programs out here. Thank you again for all your hospitality, Mitchel. It is truly appreciated. Till next time! :shake2:

Chris Coffee

Nice to hear you are finding stuff out there! Soon, after all your buddy's clean the lake out, there will be no more and you will have to wait until the next big movement of water to get more of these to appear! You'll just have to find another place to hunt! :tisk-tisk:

Jim

Jim, you will find that I am not like most people in the meteorite and gold prospecting hobbies. I am usually more than willing to share information with folks, because we are all looking for the same thing. Once I find out that those who I have shared with are not willing to return the favor, they get nothing from me from that point forward. I have had quite a few folks that I don't even know on here and Facebook both that have messaged me and warned me about backstabbers, liars, etc. in this hobby. They exist in EVERY hobby! My goal is to find out who they are and steer clear of them completely. With Coyote Dry Lake, we have found enough that it doesn't bother me if others come in and hunt and find pieces as well. Heck, I don't own the lake so I have no sole right to its contents. We go out and look because it gets us out of the house, gets us some exercise, and is a fun thing to do as a family.

I have met some really nice people to this point, and as far as I am concerned I have no reason to think otherwise of them. If the time comes that I get shafted, then I know I was wrong. I guess I am just one of those people that I trust everyone until they give me a reason not to...then it's no holds barred!!! :idunno: