Nugget Shooter Forums

Terminology Question

Bedrock Bob

There is a word that is used on this forum often that I have never heard used anywhere else. The term is "Specie".

I have never head of that term being used for natural ore. Only bullion and coins. Natural ore was "dust", "nuggets", "chispa" or "float"

The term "specie" is used for finished bullion that has been split from the "dore" produced from smelting ore. I have always considered the term to mean "metal money".

Here I see it being used for float or chispa as well as nuggets containing any quartz and even nuggets showing crystal patterns.

What does this word mean to you guys? My understanding of the term is obviously different than is being used. Someone needs to fill me in and tell me what they mean when they are calling a piece of raw ore "speci", "species", or "specie".

I don't use the term but I always assumed it was an abbreviation for "specimen".

That was my logical assumption. But then any piece of gold could be a "specimen" so it is not a very difinitive term. I think that it is being used to define something more specific here.

Thanks Klunker!

A rock containing gold.

Yes, I see that it is being used like this. But then also for gold containing rocks. And it is confusing to use this term for ore when it has classically been used to describe finished bullion. Thus my confusion.

I generally refer to a rock with gold in it as "chispa" or "float". And specimens in rock taken in situ as "ore". Although I guess it is all ore.

Anyhoo, I appreciate your input. You are obviously a miner and from your posts it is plain you know your stuff. Is this a term you use to describe a rock with gold in it? How about a nugget with a piece of quartz in it? Or is it just a term used to describe a gold formation with any host rock?

I might add that I have never heard anyone use the term while speaking about a specimen. Only in print on this forum. So my understanding and exposure may be a bit limited.

Yeah, Flak...."specimen" is the only thing I could figure. Particularly with or in host rock or with unique character. That is how the term seems to be used. Maybe "species" or "specie" is a misspelling or something. When someone writes "speci" I generally assume "specimen" but "specie" to me means finished metal or coinage. And "species" is the last division of the biological order.

I guess it does not matter what you call it if there is a photo of the speci.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Wikipedia agrees with you. It may be that some use this term as a shortened version of trying to say "specimen". Dunno. I deal with "specimen" gold in that it is coming straight out of the vein and then we clean it up to show the structure of the gold. I identify "specimen" as something you would use for education or museum quality, for viewing and research. Most gold in rock is interesting but when "modified" to expose the gold it becomes much more.

Case in point:

DSCF2020.JPG

1%20side%20a.jpg

Same rock.

Edited by GeoJack

Slang:

Another word for a rock with gold in it that people keep telling me is worth 2x spot but rarely fetches 90%, weight adjusted.

Or, a type of rock which lends itself greatly to crushing. :D

I think any gold piece that would be suitable to be shown in a museum or a really nice rock collection could be referred to as a speci. Those HF treated ones, though unnatural, qualify in my mind as a show piece.

Meteorites?

Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species. The biological order. Not inanimate objects. They are classified entirely differently.

I have never heard the term used for ore of. any kind before. Only from metal detectorists on the internet. And with abbreviations, misspellings and synonymous meanings for bullion and coin I thought it needed to be clarified.

Slang:

Another word for a rock with gold in it that people keep telling me is worth 2x spot but rarely fetches 90%, weight adjusted.

I think any gold piece that would be suitable to be shown in a museum or a really nice rock collection could be referred to as a speci. Those HF treated ones, though unnatural, qualify in my mind as a show piece.

Darn good answer! Slang!

So how much waste rock does a nugget meed to have to be a "specimen"???

I guess speci is not worth any more than specie. I still love to see it in the host rock.

Thanks Jason!

Slang:

Jason, don't know what is trying to be sold to you but we are getting much, much more for our AU than 90%. I won't say how much as we don't publish the weight of the piece, only the dimensions. Eye of the beholder I guess but real happy with our returns.

Sample.jpg

Would you crush this? Less than .1g but beautiful under the microscope.

It's not just a piece of gold with us. We detect it, protect it as it is very fragile and spend some time with each piece getting it ready to mount and mounting it in a magnified display case. We really don't even use spot pricing for what we charge. Just look at the piece and realize how rare it is provides us with what the value should be.

We had one person doing the HF for us but when I saw him using tongs on the finished piece he didn't get any more business from me. Plus, he was keeping all the loose gold coming off the piece after he charged us for the process. Nice.

Edited by GeoJack

Yup that's what everyone tells me too. But all the buyers I know either refuse to buy speci gold or take a huge premium off. I usually crush it now because its the only way I can sell it.

Would love to set it on a shelf and look at it and say its purdy but I'm not doing this to start a rock collection.

If your interested in paying a premium pm me, I seem to find them often.

JG; I found out the same thing. it just wasn't worth traveling to the gold buyers and having them tell me they'll do me a favor and pay 75% after a flaky S.G.test. I get much better prices at the refiners with a lot less risk and hassle. Multi ounce pieces are a different story but also a different set of buyers.

Lucky for me that is what the original prospector thought of this type gold, trash and tossed in the tailing pile.

It is why the early prospector picked at the hillside until they hit the hard rock, then left. I always find knife blades and knife bodies without any blades left near these sites. That and pick tips and busted pick heads alongside shallow digs and small tailing piles.

There are plenty of sites selling specimen gold and they all explain why it is so sought after.

JG, you should contact them if you have some good stuff.

While I agree that the term is a bit incorrect, it is in common use, maybe considered slang but nevertheless, everyone seems to understand the term........many seem to use the term to differentiate a solid nugget from a nugget with matrix still attached. Gold and Quartz or Picture Gold have been used also, the latter was used during the gold rush.

I used to have a market for small nuggets at the Hillsboro S Bar X saloon. Guys would come in after a day of finding nothing. They had spent big bucks on their detectors and been away from the wife for many weekends. When I would throw a few grammers up on the bar I could usually get four or five times spot price.

There are a few folks that purchase gold for its beauty. Some for other reasons. These are certainly specialized markets

They may be profitable for people who have access to that market. Most guys don't.

I sold my nuggets at the saloon and my flour at the gold panning tub at the annual Hillsboro Apple Festival. A lot of guys can find creative ways to maximize the value of gold. But that is a niche market and really is not indicative of the way a miner or prospector must sell his gold.

Every hobby has its slang terms. I guess "speci", short for "specimen" is the metal detectorist slang for gold mixed with host rock. I call them "chispas" or "float" as that is how I learned it. A speci is a collectors item or something that is being marketed as such. The rest is destined for the evil refiner.

Since none of my gold is on the market I suppose it is ALL specimen gold. If I sell it to someone for more than its metal value then that proves it I suppose. By the same token a 68 Cuda convertible is a "speci" automobile and an autographed Bob Dylan record is a "speci" record.

...I know a woman who has a pair of speci. Due to their unique size and character she commands a premium. And yes, they seem to have rocks in them.

The term "gold specie" means refined gold or gold coin. Not ore or placer of any kind. I think that is where I find the term "gold speci" and "gold specie" so confusing. One is being used to define gold ore and the other to define a finished product or coinage. That is some strange jive talking you boys have developed in the metal detector world.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Float is any random ,piece of ore,that is not attached to a vein ,or in place where it was formed.

Float does not have to be quartz,or have quartz to be called float. It can be any loose or scattered

rock containing minerals.

A specimen is any ore that is to be kept for study,or display, regardless if it is a nugget or in quartz.

If it is for testing ,it is an ore sample.

Not all gold in quartz is valuable to a collector. Most of it is just gold in quartz ore,and fodder for

the dolly.

Once again Bedrock Bob has proven he's the expert at finding a nitch to stir the pot! you all bit.LOL!!!! we do hold to many pieces as speci's that's slang for chispa's .The austrailian's smash all of them in the dolly pot,they want the gold not the rock.>>>>KELLY

Float is any random ,piece of ore,that is not attached to a vein ,or in place where it was formed.

Float does not have to be quartz,or have quartz to be called float. It can be any loose or scattered

rock containing minerals.

A specimen is any ore that is to be kept for study,or display, regardless if it is a nugget or in quartz.

If it is for testing ,it is an ore sample.

Not all gold in quartz is valuable to a collector. Most of it is just gold in quartz ore,and fodder for

the dolly.

All true!

But what is a speci??