Nugget Shooter Forums

Less can be More?

Well I decided to buy another detector because the other one just didn't act right. The new one is about as simple as it gets to operate. Doesn't go very deep, but hey, most coins and rings aren't found that deep anyway. I'd say about 5" to 7" is it's limit on coins, but on larger objects maybe 10" deep. I found a piece of #4 copper wire 3" long at about 10". One thing I noticed today was I found very little aluminum trash the other detector just loved to find, regardless of what settings you had it on. It also found a few pennies which the other detector couldn't seem to find. Keep in mind I carefully went over the same area of ground that I had already been over with the other detector.

The new detector is so light (about 2.2 lbs) it feels like a toy but it works good for me and that's all I ever wanted. Something I could have confidence in if you know what I mean.

The new detector only has one tone. It's so simple a 4 year old could have a blast with it. You also hear the breaks in tone which i'm guessing it's all that trash aluminum I mentioned above. And it don't have an overload sound which I hated on the other machine.

I paid about $302.00 for the other machine tax included and only about $160.00 for the new one with no tax.

This is about 30 minutes worth and not on grounds you would find a lot of coins on. I think i'll be happy with this one for a long time.

post-26159-0-20681500-1385952362_thumb.j

post-26159-0-57436500-1385952395_thumb.j

post-26159-0-28739600-1385952422_thumb.j

Yes indeed my friend...it's a whole lot less work and whole lot less expensive and a whole lot better not being so frustrated too...keeps my bp down...lol Nice to see ya ole buddy!

They not only offer....but they HONOR that warranity also. After 27 years of righteous use/abuse I got new everything from the coil up and NO charges,Rusty rocks at Tesoro. John :thumbsupanim

Edited by Hoser John

About 5 years ago I proved what Au Seeker said above.....my lobo was several years old and it just up and quite....sent it to Tesoro and they fixed it right away, no charges and they also paid the freight and insurance to Brazil.....no other warranty that good.....

Yes I would have to agree...Tesoro is a great company. I love my Lobo and Silver U max. Will not be long before it pays for itself. I take mine to the school play grounds and it's a killer on coins..and amazing how small of targets it picks up. And one of the best features is how light it is..could swing it all day.

Edited by Relichunter2

Saturday morning Nov. 9 with 60oz of water, hiked southeast from camp, over two ridges to southern end of the valley from where Peg Leg's Boulder lies. In 2007, before I knew of PL, saw a bunch of black pebbles scattered on a small hill, but did not pay them any attention at the time. Saw that when arriving in the valley, that didn't have enough water to get to the pebbles and back to camp. Headed to the north to search an old cabin foundation from the 1930's small placer operation. Found two .32 Rem cartridges, large-brass inner-tube air fitting and a copper radiater tube for Model-T.

On the way back, 1/4 mile from camp, spotted the big black rock on a hillside, so checked it out. Gave a soft beep with the Lobo, same sound as my gram of gold. So , marked the spot the a white rock, then just before arriving at camp, picked up the small black rock, Lobo give a sharper tone on it, but not as sharp as a clad-quarter. Magnet is not attractive to the 7.69lb black rock. Went back Sunday morning took a picture of the hillside where big black rock laid.

Sunday, made the hike to the PL boulder. Checked with the Lobo surrounding the boulder, nothing. On the way back to camp, climbing down a small steep wash with the control-box mounted on my belt, fell on my butt. Discovered Monday that the coil wires had broken away from the connector. Can now give full attention to the southern end of the valley, just pack in more water.

Sent it to Tesoro, called them about it, and ordered a 12" x 10" on return, received two new coils with scuff covers this pass Friday, and was only charged for the new coil, and no shipping charges, and sent to my PO Box. There is no UPS delivery here.

They sure are great to deal with. Thanks for letting rant. bob

post-26467-0-04992200-1385999139_thumb.j

post-26467-0-75089700-1385999479_thumb.j

post-26467-0-13289500-1385999734_thumb.j

Don,

I live in a ghost town with a fair amount of history. The problem is there's very few old timers to tell me where what was. I guess i'm going to have to find some old maps showing the locations. And in my mind that will be hard to do.

Here's some of the history on the town. It was never a big town but it's a very old town IMO. Most if not all the buildings have fallen down I guess. But it's still a good read.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns80

Don,

I live in a ghost town with a fair amount of history. The problem is there's very few old timers to tell me where what was. I guess i'm going to have to find some old maps showing the locations. And in my mind that will be hard to do.

Here's some of the history on the town. It was never a big town but it's a very old town IMO. Most if not all the buildings have fallen down I guess. But it's still a good read.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns80

Sometimes old railroad maps have good info. County Recorder survey notes are a good source, many mining claims have been discovered by using them notes. Will talk to Don, he's related to the Parker Family. Don showed me where an old fair-ground is, that hasn't been used since the 1930's he found it by reading the survey notes. Will be giving the Lobo a try there, when done with the Peg Leg. Sure is fun, hope this helps, bob

Funny you mentioned fair wet/dry mixer. I been digging the internet for awhile now and I see mentionings of one of the first fairs in texas was in starrville, texas. Hmmm, if I could just find that place. Very little on the locations of some of these places but I did find where the blacksmith shop was located, a couple miles from me. There is an old community hall down the road too and I can picture it being one of the old school houses that was once here but not sure. It's looks like a good place to detect but i'll need to find out if i can.

Hey what is that big rock you have on the bucket?

It may be a meteorite, it's not magnetic, but the Lobo made the same soft beep as it does on my one of gram gold. It was laying below that white rock in the third picture, stuck out like a sore thumb, 7.69lbs.

Forgot to mention, check out the libraries in the surrounding towns. Living in Roll, AZ there was no library, but the Yuma Library fifty miles away had lot's of information and pictures of the whole town.

If you know where one building is, the library or survey notes will help locate the rest.

Will check with Don tomorow for more info, thanks, bob

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by a place today and talked to a nice lady and she had quite a bit of info I was looking for on Starrville.

This place is now owned by her and her husband. This use to be an old gas station here. It used to be called "Jackson's."

The Jackson's told her this was the last place Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker filled up their car with gasoline before heading into Louisiana. If they had of only known, Louisiana had set a death trap for them. The story goes Clyde offered Mr. Jackson Bonnies ring for payment for the gas because they had no money. But Mr. Jackson told them they could pay for it the next time they came through.

That's kinda odd because Clyde like to rob small stores and rural gas stations. But i guess they were desperate and the law was hot on their tails.

50tl.jpg

Also this property is right next to the gas station and they own that too. This is where one of Texas first fairs was located. The Jacksons also told her that. I asked if i could coin shoot it and split the silver but no dice. She's going to let her grand kids search it.

g0ol.jpg

I stopped by the old community center too. Which use to be one of the schools here. No playground equipment that I could see. Not sure if i can detect it legally...lol

ag0j.jpg

This is Texas Lankmark in front of the community center.

amcv.jpg

Here another old landmark. The Starville city well. I wonder if it still has water in it.

roc8.jpg

Here's the landmark. Couldn't really get a good shot of it because the sun was in my eyes.

xjpv.jpg

Here's a picture of the old cotton gin. They grew a lot of cotton around here in the old days.

cziw.jpg

And here's a picture of the old Methodist church.

nvt9.jpg

Edited by Rimshot

And finally this is a picture of the old Dallas road. This is all private property now.

9yib.jpg

Edited by Rimshot