Nugget Shooter Forums

Thin Sections

Hi all!

Making thin sections now! Here is a sample that I am getting ready to ship off for a long term research project. The pictures represent W232, which I sliced and prepared three thin sections for. They are 1" round slides with a 30 micron dual polished sample affixed. The other pictures are the mount that can also be used in the classification process. This one is ready to ship off for a long term research project.

Sysops: Note: I could not make the Image URL input work without it locking up my screen, so I just had to attach the images.

Jim

post-24044-0-07487900-1385816106_thumb.j

post-24044-0-28735700-1385816125_thumb.j

post-24044-0-19611000-1385816142_thumb.j

post-24044-0-84907500-1385816167_thumb.j

post-24044-0-63484700-1385816197_thumb.j

I've been assisting folks with classifications for awhile as well as cutting meteorites. Thin sections just seemed to be a natural progression. It's a lot of work!That said, I am really limiting my work to the classification process and not for collectors. Collectors really do not need dual polished 30 micron slides and few of them really are. Mine are more for microprobe work, petrology and geochemistry.

So if someone wants a meteorite cut or a thin section for classification purposes.....

Jim

Jim,

Did Ron (UncleRon) get ahold of you. I know he possibly wants to have his finds classified.

Dave.

Hi Steve, I use an Epoxy designed for such work. One part is from Struers and the other from Buehler. Pricey stuff.

The mounts in this picture are just rough polished at 6u. The thin sections are dual polished at 1u. If used in a probe they would also be polished to 1u.

The 30u is how thick the sample on the slide is

Jim

Edited by Desertsunburn

No doubt, Steve! And I was trained by the best of the best!

Jim