Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Coffee

Another find today while hunting with some great folks!

My family and I were invited to do some meteorite hunting today with Mikestang, KGMRG (Richard), Roy, and Tom. I guess our recent finds on Coyote Dry Lake stirred up some interest so I gladly took them to the spot where we made our finds over the last 2 weeks. We headed out across the muddy lakebed and reached our destination in short time. After hunting that area for about an hour or two, I realized that we were not quite in the right spot, so we made a move south. I found little landmarks that verified we were now in the right place. Up to this point nobody had found anything. To make a long story short, within an hour of reaching the correct location there 3 confirmed finds. I found a nice little 10 gram specimen, and there were to other hunters that made finds as well....but I will let them be the ones to tell the tale.

It was a great day and we had so much fun meeting everyone and hunting together. We are looking forward to the next time we can get together again. Thanks to all who joined us today!!! Below are a few pictures of some of the crew who were there, and some pics of my 10 gram find for today! Unfortunately, Richard was on the other side of the lakebed when this was taken so I couldn't get him in the shot :cry2:

MeteoriteCrewInAction_zps600d2657.jpg

MeteoriteHuntingWithTheCrew_zps8760c9d3.

TodaysFind2_zps6baaad22.jpg

TodaysFindNov292013_zps471f5016.jpg

Chris,

That is a good and experienced group of people you had out there with you.

After that trip you will be an expert as it is an education unequaled.

Congratulations on more finds.

Mitchel

Chris,

That is a good and experienced group of people you had out there with you.

After that trip you will be an expert as it is an education unequaled.

Congratulations on more finds.

Mitchel

Thank you, Mitchel. Yes, they are certainly a great group to hunt with. Every one of them made us feel right at home, and it was like we had known them for years. And, as a bonus, we were able to get confirmation from those experienced hunters that our previous find there were actual meteorites. Looking forward to seeing you out at Franconia in a couple of weeks.

Chris

Chris

I had a great time and can't thank you enough for your generosity. I look forward to our next outing.

Richard aka kgmrg

P.S.

Attached is the picture I took of you and your family,and of Tom's Jeep after finding a mud hole or two. post-3321-0-11274700-1385842457_thumb.jp post-3321-0-29435900-1385842557_thumb.jp

WOW.....hahahaha!!!! I did not see that side of Tom's Jeep. The side I saw was nice and clean. That is just a sign of fun times.

It was absolutely our pleasure meeting you guys and showing you our areas. I'm also glad that the day was not a total skunk, but I sure wish everyone could have found something. We are truly looking forward to hunting with you all again. We most certainly enjoyed ourselves. Next time I need to get a picture of all of us together.

Thanks for the pics.

Chris, it was great to meet you and your family. Thanks again for taking us out to "the good spot". I had an excellent time with everyone, can't wait to do it again! Here's a few of my picts:

Chris and family

CoyoteDL29Nov2013-002.jpg

As I was walking back to my truck to eat my sandwich I spotted a 19.6g meteorite just sitting there, waiting for me to pick it up.

CoyoteDL29Nov2013-007.jpg

CoyoteDL29Nov2013-004.jpg

CoyoteDL29Nov2013-006.jpg

With my Toyota in the background

CoyoteDL29Nov2013-005.jpg

CoyoteDL29Nov2013-010.jpg

Rite and Wrongs

CoyoteDL29Nov2013-011.jpg

Mike,

Absolutely, man! Anytime at all. And thank you for inviting us, and for letting us ride with you out there. Next time we'll take my truck. And big time congrats on your find, too. She was a beauty.

And the little green guy, I strongly believe, is Chrysocolla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysocolla

Chris

There was a nice flat spot on the side of my rock, so I put a window there to show off a bit of NiFe.

CoyoteWindow.jpg

There was a nice flat spot on the side of my rock, so I put a window there to show off a bit of NiFe.

CoyoteWindow.jpg

Very nice. I'm really wondering if that piece and the 5 pieces that we found that are identical to yours, came from the same rock? They sure look like it to me, but again, I'm a beginner.

They all look to be the same, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all related.

I just had a really awesome thing happen for me, Mike. Not a REAL BIG deal, but totally unexpected, and totally cool at the same time!!!

I, for one, am wanting to know what happened.

Saginaw

Congrats on a nice hunt and finds you guys. I was driving through Barstow, when you guys got to the Lakebed. Then when I got to Victorville, the rain just poured, did it make it to you guys while hunting?

Dave.

Mike...very nice find, but I don't know what's better, the rock or your great tee shirt!

Karl

Saginaw.....The cool thing that happened to me was that a fellow meteorite hunter surprised me with a free custom-made meteorite scale cube. :yesss:

DolanDave, I heard you were in the area and was hoping you would make an appearance. We actually got really lucky that day. It was just cloudy and cool enough to make for pristine hunting conditions, and never saw a drop of rain. The lake bed was kinda muddy, but overall drivable. Thank you for the congrats on the finds. We have only been to Coyote Dry Lake 4 times now (one of them with the crew) and our total find weight, since Nov. 17th is 124.8 grams! :4chsmu1:

Hope to be able to finally meet you in person, Dave. I haven't forgotten how much you helped me out on my trip to Gold Basin and Franconia last year. :brows:

Nice work Chris and Mike!

Coyote Dry Lake was the first hunt for my wife and I five years ago. I concluded that it was picked clean... :tisk-tisk:

Happy that I was wrong and there are still space rocks being found!

Maybe see you guys on the 13th at Franconia.

Good hunting,

Daryl

Thanks, Daryl. My family will definitely be at Franconia on the 14th. Can't make the 13th though. We have to work that day. Would of been cool to have it the 14th and 15th. Hope to meet you there.

Chris

Chris it seems you may have found your "niche" with the meteorite hunting.
And of course with perseverance you'll come across other interesting and valuable finds along the way.
Congrats to you an the family an Hapy Huntn.

Than you, Frank . Hopefully our "lucky streak" continues for a while. I wouldn't mind putting together a nice little collection of meteorites for my viewing pleasure...lol.

Chris, this is why Toms jeep got so dirty!! :-)

Roy-

I guess my pic didn't upload. Trying again.

post-25459-0-04212400-1386050032_thumb.j

Holy cow...lol. Did he get out of that on his own or did you guys have to pull him out? That looks like it would have been a blast.

The jeep photo kinda reminds me of those mysterious moving/sliding rocks in Death Valley,

the ones no one's ever seen move but really long trials through the dirt are found behind or in front of em.

The jeep photo kinda reminds me of those mysterious moving/sliding rocks in Death Valley,

the ones no one's ever seen move but really long trials through the dirt are found behind or in front of em.

LOL!