Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteors can cause fire

http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/gfmeteor/evidence.htm

Know of a witnessed fall of 2005 that caught some man-made lumber on fire.

Here's some pictures of a few of the group of eight that were found this past Monday.

Will not let me browse to bring up the pictures. Will try to reply to bring them up, thanks, bob

Edited by Au Seeker

Fall came in a southwesterly direction. First picture was taken looking up hill in a northeasterly direction.

#1 fall-rock 167 gr, near the two white rocks upper left.

#4 fall-rock 191 gr, below the bucket.

#8 279 gr, lower picture.

When first finding them tag, and label them with arrow pointing north, then take close-up pictures. When done with that, use gloves to bag each one separately.

When getting them home, check them with a compass to see the different magnet poles they have, some have none, others have more than one pole. That's why I do not use a magnet, it may change there polarity to Earth's magnetic poles.

We are waiting to have them classified. Thanks for your interest, bob

post-26467-0-64734700-1385761636_thumb.j

post-26467-0-13603100-1385761806_thumb.j

post-26467-0-33727000-1385761963_thumb.j

post-26467-0-35872400-1385762171_thumb.j

Except that they don't cause fires. They come from near absolute zero and only the outer millimeter or so heats up during atmospheric entry. An air burst could cause fires, or a massive impact explosion like Canyon Diablo, but not meteorites in and of themselves.

Neither of your points are "evidence".

Firstly, what meteorite was found on the shores of the lake? Kindly provide its name and link to its classification in the MetBul. Secondly, no one knows what the make-up of the body that exploded over Tunguska was. It was an air burst, not an impact event as you call it. They have yet to produce peer reviewed and generally accepted evidence of anything to the contrary.

Your second piece of evidence is just nonsense. So what if the fires are in the shape of a shot gun blast? It's also the same shape as an ice cream cone, or a slice of pizza. What does that mean? Nothing. Besides, the cone shape of a shotgun blast is what it looks like from the side; the impact it makes is generally circular. If the fires were caused as you speculate, they would be in a circular shape because that's how pieces would have impact, just like the shot gun pellets. Do you know what kind of fires are in a cone shape? Ones that start at a singular location and are spread by a prevailing wind.

Your link is pseudo science, disguised to look like something intelligent. You do not provide any support for the claims you make, no external links, no sources to what you claim to be eye witness testimony (which of itself has proven to be less than reliable).

My science is bigger than yours, I call shenanigans.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 1

Your find pictures, however, could be meteorites. Though if they do turn out to be they'll likely be ordinary chondrites, not carbonaceous. Good luck with those, I hope they are the real thing, keep us posted on the lab results.

Pictured end-cut of one of the above fall-rocks.

A x-ray spectrometer analysis shows the following elements of one percent or higher on average of the seven different samples submitted.

Fe 47%

Ti 7%

Al 2%

Mg 1.5%

Si 19%

Carbon listed, but no percentage

Average specific gravity, 4.4

Streak test, dark grey

Hardness, 6-7

Heat-test, at over 3,000 degrees, the ten samples would not melt for pouring into a mold. A graphite cupsible was ruined in the process.

Find it funny the some believe that all meteors are cold when impacting the Earth, maybe that they belong to the Flat-Earth Society. Google, meteor fires, 56 million hits.

Still awaiting for the classification. Thanks for the interest, bob

post-26467-0-48025600-1386528804_thumb.j

• Like 1

The fact that you said to google "meteor fires" sums it up nicely. A meteor is a light effect in the sky and will NEVER cause a fire.

Why are you "heat testing" rocks you suspect to be meteorites? That's no way to classify a meteorite and no lab that does meteorite classification would ever employ such a test.

Google "stupid concept" and you get 87 million hits. Since when was the number of google search hits an indication of anything?

Please take your pseudoscience somewhere else.

Edited by Mikestang

Well any of the established and widely recognized labs would be great, or any of the major university labs. Why can't you just say who's doing the analysis? I figured you'd dodge the question since it's probably being done in someone's basement.

As the OP suggested I have Googled "meteor fires" and looked at the results. There are a few links to articles about a house fire in Ohio from November this year. However, the articles are hosted by "news" sites that rely on sensationalism, fear, and conspiracy theories. After searching through well over two hundred links provided by Google, I could not find a single article from a reputable source, nor could I find any article about any other fall causing a fire.

Also it should be noted that the vast majority of links provided by Google were about meteor showers and fire poi. For the unfamiliar, fire poi are balls of absorbent material attached to a small length of chain. They are typically soaked in lamp oil, lit on fire, and spun about rapidly by performers providing a light show.

Now, when I search for "do meteorites cause fires?" Google comes up with much different results. On the first page alone are results from NASA, The University of New Mexico, and scientist Phil Plait. The answer given in all of these articles is a resounding "no."

I'm sorry Bob, but until I see some hard evidence to the contrary, I'm going to have to agree with Mikestang, NASA, The University of New Mexico, and Phil Plait on this one.

We have an Affidavit on the Fall and the Fire it caused.

The heat-test was added for this reason: My son along with a pro golf instructor were selling a putter, with a new method of putting. They were having the stainless steel putter heads made in China' along with a video of the new method of putting, advertised on The Golf Channel. They were selling great, until the Pro got greedy, and tapped out the funds. This all happened in 2009. Still using the their putter and method, lowered my handicap 6-8 strokes.

Around that time was interested in the process of making meteorite-knives as seen on different web-sites. Contacted a small iron foundry, with the idea of casting these putter heads, from the fractured fall-rocks, experiment failed, they would not melt. He has no problem with iron-ore earth rocks. These fall-rocks are a mystery.

When classified, we will offer some for sale, but mostly interest in having field-trips for the local schools, yes, the burnt lumber site will be visited on these field-trips. Thanks, bob

Well holy shat, and affidavit you don't say? Well that changes... absolutely nothing! Totally meaningless. Not a scientific document.

My god, you're going to pollute the minds of innocent children with your nonsense? Please don't, stop this craziness right now. Do not subject children this garbage, they deserve to learn actual science and facts.

You still haven't said what lab in "analyzing" your rocks.

Provide peer reviewed science or STFU.

• Like 1

Absolutely right on Mike! I love it when you are able to "skewer" the jerks who keep posting totally false, misleading information. What egos they must have to keep arguing that their beliefs are correct in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.

• 2 years later...

Finally found some time to go through the lab reports on the meteorites. They run 5-9 percent per ton ilmenite ore, mineable grade. Ilmenite ore is an ore that can be found only on asteroids. Also it is a common mineral on the moon, running 1-10 percent per ton. Now to get them classified. Any suggestions.

Thanks, bob

Placer deposits. Residue from meteorites.

Last week we dry washed a couple of different washes in the fall area. Saved the black sand, most of which was-non magnetic. Magnet used has a 40lb pull. Was surprised how little the amount of magnetic black sand.

Thanks for the interest, bob

• 4 months later...