Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteors can cause fire

On 12/10/2013 at 11:20 AM, Mikestang said:

Well holy shat, and affidavit you don't say? Well that changes... absolutely nothing! Totally meaningless. Not a scientific document.

My god, you're going to pollute the minds of innocent children with your nonsense? Please don't, stop this craziness right now. Do not subject children this garbage, they deserve to learn actual science and facts.

You still haven't said what lab in "analyzing" your rocks.

Provide peer reviewed science or STFU.

Abstract: The assumption that iron meteorites were formed by planetary differentiation of asteroid-scaled parent bodies is deeply embedded in the standard solar system formation model. This assumption is directly falsified by trace element distributions in one significant group of iron meteorites and is not supported by chronologic studies of primordial or extinct radioisotopes. There is growing evidence that iron meteorites may be individually and as a class, isotopically heterogeneous. The paradigm of iron meteorite formation is undergoing a fundamental shift. By: E. Calvin Alexander, Jr. 

A handwritten truth affidavit not refuted, stands as truth.

Edited by wet/dry washer
Spelling

7 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

A handwritten truth affidavit not refuted, stands as truth.

Unfortunately every one lies, even scientists (there are many other example as well, see oil/cigarette/climate science).  The fact something is written on paper does not make it true or correct.

Peer reviewed science that is not refuted stands as truth, but only until someone disproves it.

• Like 2

Some scientists say dredging destroys fishies egg laying place thingies.. No one in the world believes it except the guy at the top of the hill who owns the pen and the guy who hands him and those scientists envelopes full of money, and even they don't believe it..

Just sayin'..

Swamp

• Like 3

Attached is a youtube link to a documentary by Naked Science about meteorites. In the documentary PhD Michael Zolensky from NASA's Johnson Space Center actually talks about people claiming that meteorites had started fires. If you do not want to watch the entire documentary (it's very interesting) you can forward to 33:30. Zolensky is talking about the Tagish Lake Meteorite.

Edited by Strapped
  • Like 2

Cool video.  You link starts just part the point where he talks about meteorite temperature, need to rewind to the 34:00 minute mark to see that.  Thanks for the share.

• Like 1

Like all the new science shows they had all sorts of Presumptions and Assumptions going on.  Had to laugh when the guy said they were confused by the Moon Rocks being so dry like they had been heated up.  Dhuaa !  I would call a surface temp of 100C Heated ( 100C = Boiling Water). And then the guy contradicts the mystery of no water on the moon by saying water could only be had from the Asteroids in the outer belt due to solar heating of everything else?   I started to get Board when the guy said the Earth was covered with water but there was no Oxygen in the Atmosphere.  How can the Earth be covered with Water , water being H2O.   Some how some of that water had to be getting broken down releasing Oxygen. Solar Radiation.  Volcanic activity .  And then he went into how all the Iron was locking up the Oxygen in compounds had me thinking about the Meteor Test being Debated on here.   It sure beat any thing else on TV.   Emmm  Maybe that's why I turned my TV off like 17 years ago never to be seen again?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2013 at 3:54 PM, Mikestang said:

Except that they don't cause fires. They come from near absolute zero and only the outer millimeter or so heats up during atmospheric entry. An air burst could cause fires, or a massive impact explosion like Canyon Diablo, but not meteorites in and of themselves.

Hmmm....I'm not a scientist, but how do comets throw off frozen debris when they are further away from the sun than earth is???  Absolute zero?  https://www.universetoday.com/77070/how-cold-is-space/ Also wouldn't the trajectory of the meteor be a factor???  More time in the atmosphere would allow for more thorough heating???  I've heard it said that the SR-71s airframe would stretch a couple inches because it heated up so much during flight & I just read that the windscreen was made from quartz because it heated to over 600 degrees  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird ....I know I've started more than one fire with welding slag....

1 hour ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Hmmm....I'm not a scientist, but how do comets throw off frozen debris when they are further away from the sun than earth is???

They get heated up by solar radiation just enough.  They certainly would not be considered hot, or even warm, by any stretch of the imagination.

The SR-71 spends extended periods of time at super sonic speeds, a meteor body spends only a few seconds.

Meteorites, they’re cold soaked in space for millions of years, so they’re very very cold, and they enter the atmosphere at high velocity, and they do in fact get very hot on the outside.  But they are only heated for a few seconds, and that’s not long enough for the heat to get all the way in past a few millimeters actually.  You hear of of [sic] reports of meteorites causing fires on the ground, things like that, that’s always wrong.  They’re actually quite quite [sic] cold to the touch after a few seconds.”

-Dr. Michael Zolensky, NASA, from the video above

And please note that I said "near absolute zero", it's f'ing cold in space.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 1

When I was a kid working at the AirCraft Bone Yard we filled our tool boxes with water to keep them cool enough to work with.  LOL  .  It was only 120 F or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

That first link I posted says that astronauts sometimes need to wrap their tools with special coatings or blankets to keep them cool enough to work with when exposed to the sun...something like 260 degrees Celsius

You are missing half of the information.

" A piece of bare metal in space, under constant sunlight can get as hot as two-hundred-sixty (260) degrees Celsius."

" And yet, in the shade, an object will cool down to below -100 degrees Celsius. "

From your link.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 1

Want to thank Charlie Foster for posting the responses he received from eBay. In March, 2009 received similar messages when posting my fall rocks. These messages all came from IMCA members, (International Meteorite Collectors Association). They control the meteorite market. To become a member it's $20.00 per year, plus have two of their members sponsor you. In order to get a meteorite classified you have to disclose the GPS location of your finds. Pay over $200.00 and have one of their labs do the testing. Appears to me they are a Mafia.

4 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

In order to get a meteorite classified you have to disclose the GPS location of your finds. Pay over $200.00 and have one of their labs do the testing. Appears to me they are a Mafia.

Not true. You don't have to be a member of IMCA in order to get a meteorite classified.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:20 PM, wet/dry washer said:

Wet/dry,

I'm not a member of the IMCA. I got mine tested for free at the Arizona State Meteorite Center by Lawrence Garvey. It is classified and published in the Meteoritical Bulletin, also for free. Here are the GPS coordinates:

State/Prov/County: San Bernardino, Calif.
Origin or pseudonym: Dry lake
Date: 17 Sep 2000
Latitude: 37°43.61'N
Longitude: 114°47.19'W
Mass (g): 131
Pieces: 1
Class: H6
Shock stage: S2/3
Weathering grade: W3
Fayalite (mol%): 19
Ferrosilite (mol%): 16.6
Wollastonite (mol%): 1.3
Classifier: G. Huss (ASU)
Type spec mass (g): 12.7
Main mass: Bill Peters, Gilbert, Arizona
Finder: Bill Peters
Comments: Breccia, with rounded clasts.

P. S. Another 15 kilos have been recovered.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters

In 2006 most universities quit classification. In 2008 when these fall rocks were discovered, samples were sent to several labs, including Arizona, all were returned without opening.

When this post was posted there appeared some names who did classification, picked the closest one which was in Parker Arizona. Not going to pay someone over $200.00 so they can rip me off. Besides, these fall are located on native soil.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:20 PM, wet/dry washer said:

Wet/dry,

If you have got reasonably probable meteorites I can get them tested for free, which is always the charge at ASU Meteorite Center, by Lawrence Garvey. They would have to be highly likely to be meteorites to be tested and classified. The "Meteorite Men" Show ruined it about 10 years ago for labs testing possible meteorites because they were overwhelmed by endless meteor-wrongs from the public. Lawrence will only test rocks which are in the high probability range and not NWAs. PC me and we'll talk.

billpeters

12 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

In order to get a meteorite classified you have to disclose the GPS location of your finds. Pay over $200.00 and have one of their labs do the testing. Appears to me they are a Mafia.

The IMCA has nothing to do with meteorite classification, nor are they (or the Meteoritical Society who maintains the MetBul and approves meteorite names) a "mafia" in any sense of the word.

Most likely you were receiving "hate mail" for your rocks because they did not appear to be meteorites.

There are several false locations published in the MetBul, you don't have to give the exact location, but the location is necessary to approve the name.

I did not have any trouble getting my cold find classified by UCLA in 2012 (and my published coordinate is exact - if you're worried about someone else stealing your glory then you didn't hunt the spot enough before going public with it) https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=59550

The analysis of 22 fall rocks taken from different areas of the fall all assay on average the same as some of the Apollo moon rocks, with no nickel. They were ejected from the moon or from an asteroid. They are located on native soil in the southern part of the Mohave desert in Calif.

Lighten up Mike, don't worry be happy.

Here's something that I just wanted to toss out there for consideration and conjecture.

At one point this thread caused me to start thinking about air bursts like Sikhote-Alin and Chelyabinsk, and 

how much internal heating of individual fragments might occur as a result of such forceful disruptions

Could it be possible that the distinctive, and extensive regmaglypting in Sikhote individuals is partly due

to elevated internal temperatures as well as having been suddenly exposed to dense atmosphere; in having

burst at such a relatively low altitude?

Any thoughts?