Nugget Shooter Forums

Im so confused..

shawnt

I live in Las Vegas and i wanted to get into gold prospecting / metal detecting. I read that you can metal detect on any public land but at the same time im being told that you cant. Can you metal detect on public land or do i need to join a group. Another question i have is if i join a group can i metal detect on there claims any time i want or is it only when the group goes out to the claims they have.

Heres the link i read that says you can metal detect on public lands http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/nv/information.Par.77566.File.dat/collecting_on_publiclands.pdf

Do people have gold claims on public lands and that makes it where you cant metal detect, See thats what i dont understand. I just wanted a hobbie to get out of the house on the weekends and see the outdoors.

1. Can you metal detect on public land or do i need to join a group.

I would suggest joint a group like the Gold Prospectors Association of America (www.goldprospectors.org) first. This would accomplish a couple of things for you (1) gain an understanding of what is going on (the do's and don'ts) from folks who have been metal detecting for a while; (2) allow access to claims with out worrying if you can or can not.

2. If i join a group can i metal detect on there claims any time i want or is it only when the group goes out to the claims they have.

You can metal detect any time on any club claim unless you are not a member of that club or the club has other requirements about when you can go. For example GPAA has a number of claims you can go anytime to any claim and do all the metal detecting you want.

3. Metal detect on public lands

My club and GPAA claim are on public land monitored by BLM and to date we had no issues or difficulties with BLM.

4. I just wanted a hobby to get out of the house on the weekends and see the outdoors.

I think gold prospecting with or with out metal detectors is a great way to get out. I would suggest you link up with a club until you feel conformable with going out on your own, check the GPAA web site for a club in your area.

Your always welcome to joint Route 66 Gold Miners (http://www.route66goldminers.org/) in Brea, Ca if you like.

Cheers, Beers, and Gold