Nugget Shooter Forums

I Need Help Finding ...

mn90403

Have you ever gone out hunting and you find some things at the beach, the park or the desert and you bring them home, take pictures and then you put them with your other finds and later you want to organize and ....

YOU CAN'T FIND YOUR FINDS!

I have two or three things that I have wasted several hours looking for and I just can't seem to look in new places. I keep going back to where it 'should' be but now I am just giving up.

Hopefully I'll find the things when I'm looking for something else.

Mitchel

(Does this get worse?) :grr01:

Mitchel things do get better-you learn to not care or forget you forgot and hence don't care :old: whatever it is, it is safe and at home and will turn up sooner or later. Ifn' later well LL your gone and REALLY don't care then. Once stress and frustration are eliminated from the equation senior moments are no longer vexing...John :4chsmu1:

The more you worry about it the worst it becomes especially it you overly stress out about it. There are any number of reasons why you can't remember/recall where you put something. Generally drivers can be other things of greater importance are on you mind or maybe you where distracted at the time.

Thank you guys. I don't have the wife excuse right now. It is the just normal possibility that I had the stuff in a bag, the bag looked like trash and ... it happened to be a bag of trash I didn't want to keep but I keep most everything so why throw away THAT bag? haha

I just thought I would share that vexing feeling here as we can all know it can occupy a place in our minds and feelings beyond the value of the items themselves.

Mitchel

Here's a trick I learned many years ago and it's worked for me a lot ... (I'm sure many of you guys know this...) ... Sit down and calm your self, then tell your self that the next time that X happens (choose any future event that's bound to happen) that you will remember the location of what you're looking for ... Tell yourself that one time only then forget about it .... Can't tell you how many lost things I have found using this technique .... Try it, you might be surprised! ... Cheers, Unc

UPDATE!

While out hunting this weekend I had time to 'retrace' my steps as of my last use or sighting of the missing items. I remembered I had seen them last before I took a week trip to Florida and I also remembered that I had 'cleaned up' a bit before I left. When I clean up I just put my stuff in the proper piles and voila ... the missing items are no longer in their group but in the organized piles ... :grr01:

The memory of the items in a 'sub-group' was stronger than the memory (or lack there of) in the 'proper place' for the finds!

This discovery is contrasted with my Florida trip where there are items sitting in 'disorganized' array where I can find my highschool, elementary school and other family items from 50 years ago!

Thank you all for your patience and suggestions about finding misplaced things.

Mitchel

MN sounds like me and you went to the same class....."man cave 101".....after 15 years of tossing things in a pile, camping pile, detecting pile, battery pile, military equip. pile, coil pile, boots pile, saw-sander-sazall-drill's-bits-saw blades-extension cord pile I started re-shuffling piles and putting many goodies in trunks with labels that have the contents spelled out.

Now it don't look natural, more like a hospital room. Guess the new ex would be happy (hardly).....maybe #6 will be more appreciative.

• 1 month later...

I have piles of stacks of stuff my wife calls junk, and then moves.

I spend half my morning frustrated and trying to figure out where my stuff went that I had stacked in a pile to use today.

SGTFDA, this is really what the "Laurel Effect" is. My wife moved my stuff and I can't find it. Me being male, I refuse to ask directions.

I pile all my piles into one big pile.Instead of looking through different piles you simply.sift through that "zone" in the big pile. If what you are looking for is small or high specific gravity it will most likely be at the bottom of its respective zone.

Single piles work well with a series of screens. Just screen the pile and look on the appropriate screen for the item you seek. Sometimes a big magnet can isolate your item from a pile.

No matter what your piling system is you can subdivide by using 5 gallon buckets and then piling them. When you need an item start dumping buckets on the floor to find it. It is just that simple!

BB,

You got it!

What I have stopped doing is keeping 'track' of the piles. Just keep making new ones. That is why I hunt so often.

I'm considering getting married (you got a better exit strategy?) and that means I have to sort my piles ... some before and some after the event. As I get closer and closer to that time I want to keep more and more piles 'as is' so that she can see what I am really giving up in my life.

:4chsmu1::grr01::arrowheadsmiley::old:

Mitchel

I screen all my piles before any relationship and remove any paper. Then the screened piles can be put in buckets after picking out the pebbles and 22 shells. Then when I decide not to embark upon a new relationship I am organized and ready for more adventure. All I need is a few more buckets.

It works the same if you decide to get into the relationship except no adventure. Either way you get the entire pile into buckets and that is coool.

HINT: You can further subdivide your buckets into several gold pans. They balance well on the pile and keep small items from migrating down through the pile.

BB,

You are less 'ornery' with this new avatar ... haha I don't use buckets (too offensive to a poster here) ... I use filing boxes. I threw away one of the 'good' boxes to the recyclers a month or so back and I was not able to estimate my income for Obamacare so I just made up a number.

It is not what is in the pile (box) but what you tell someone about it. They dare not touch it.

Mitchel

A single layer pile? That is not even a pile!

Piles must be at the natural angle of repose to even be considered a pile. One good test of a pile is the tendency for things to slide down and increase the diameter of the pile. Piles must be kept as high as possible with the smallest footprint that physics will allow. Otherwise you just have a mess.

Low lying layers defeat the whole purpose of piling which is to maintain safe walkways and exits as well as keeping sensitive equipment above the "dog hair and goat head level" along the floor surface.

Edited by Bedrock Bob