Nugget Shooter Forums

I have had a tough time with GB2 coils. I always carry a spare in case one goes south. The last time I purchased coils I bought two little 6.5" so I would have a spare. Well, I put on my spare last month and it would not ground balance.

The warranty is only one year for "accessory coils" but this one had only been on a pole for a few hours. I called Fisher Labs in El Paso and spoke with Felix. He asked a few questions and gave me a return number. He said that if the coil was indeed in new condition they would replace it even though the warranty had technically expired.

I just received a brand new 6.5" coil. It took only six days and cost nothing. While the coils for this machine are kind of tender when compared to some others the company stood behind their product. They made it right even though they could have easily refused.

I am happy with the service as well as the way they handled it. I feel certain that if I have issues again they will do their best. Just thought I would pass that on because so many here use these machines and undoubtedly have had coil failures.

....I just tore open the plastic and realized the coil has a longer, thicker lead with an abrasion resistant jacket. It also has a slick attachment bolt with big knobs and a couple velcro ties. So things just get sweeter!

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I just bought a GB2 used (it was only used 1 time) and has two new coils. Luckily they both seem to ground balance, but I go through Minelab coils like disposable silverware so we'll see how these GB coils fare comparatively speaking after a bit of use.

Do yours just not ground balance new or do they fail often after use too?

I have had coils with an obvious loose wire that chatter when moved. Also some that have no signal whatsoever but have a steady threshold. Then a couple that would not balance.

I think shock and jerking on the cord has done most of them in. Two so far I have felt was a defect in the coil as they simply failed too quick. I used an old Whites GM2 for thirty years and no problems EVER. I carried and stored both machines side by side and went through many GB2 coils while never having problems with the Whites.

I had problems with my PI stock round coil making all sorts of erratic noises. Right out of the box. I have a NF 14 open elliptical and a Joey that I have used and abused for many MANY hours and have had no problems. It seems the leads annd connectors on my PI are the weakest link rather than the coil itself.

I don't baby any of my detectors but I sure try to protect the GB2 coils. Especially in transit. I know I have ruined more in the back of a pickup than have been defective. Still they are more problematic than any others I have come across.

The Whites coils are indestructable. Man I have tried! I love the GB2 and I am not knocking it at all. But as far as quality and toughness is concerned Whites is head and shoulders over any other detector. I wish I could get a coil for the GB2 that would perform as well as the 6.5" elliptical and last like a Whites.

If your not smashing the coil you are jerking the cord. That is just the nature of the beast sometimes. Detectors are all pretty tough. If the GB2 has a shortcoming then this would be the only one I have found.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

All the brands suffer coil failures, White's included. I have seen plenty from all of them. The ones that are scary are the marginal ones I would notice but a newbie would miss. I always wonder how many detectors out there have sub-performing coils. I suspect it accounts for some of the discrepancies you see in internet posts about performance. Not just ground mineralization differences between location A and location B but one operator having a good coil and the other a poor coil.

After what we put'm through it's truely a wonder how long they last. I don't know whatzup with coil covers but they sure wear out FAST and costs doubled quickly also in a short time-John

• Like 1

I opened up a coil a few years ago when the falsing became impossible

and was really surprised at the shoddy, cheap workmanship.

Using masking tape to hold the wires in place?

That among other shoddy details was the case.

I will not mention the brand,

but it was the last coil by that manufacturer I ever bought.

Same here Flak....I took the two halves apart, not an easy job and found a very thin wire wrapped around the outer sections of the coil. The wire was held in place with white paper tape and the glue had ceased to be glue which allowed the wired to move when the coil was flexed or bumped. I removed the white tape and glued the wired down using Shoe Goo very sparingly so as not to cause a build up that would hinder the two halves going back together. This was last month.

Now it works great without the noise.

When I put the coil cover on this new coil I notice it is a little smaller as well as thinner. The cover is a little loose and slides right off rather than a tight fit. The edges stand up over the top of the coil and make a "lip".

Also the epoxy filling is different. It is opaque black material different than the others.

I will grind down the coil cover a bit and apply some enchilada sauce to keep the cover on the new coil.

I did not say that Whites coils did not go bad. I am sure they do. What I said was they are MUCH tougher than a GB2 coil. And they are. After carrying and using both machines equally over many years and seeing so many failures I feel very confident in saying the Whites coil is MUCH TOUGHER. The construction and materials used are completely different and this is what makes them last so much longer than the GB.

If the GB2 had gone through one or two coils to the Whites then other possibilities exist for an explanation. I have gone through at least SIX coils for the GB2, two which were certainly manufacturer defects. None on the Whites. That is a pretty good long term test IMHO. All coils are not created equal. Whites coils have superior durability over MANY others. And the components they use on their detectors are also of the best quality...not so with many other "high end" detectors.

I was in the midst of typing up a long response based on my forty years as a White's dealer and thirty years as a Fisher dealer and then I figured, why bother? It seems argumentative and you probably don't care anyway. Suffice it to say my perspective differs from yours on that subject. I am glad your White's coils have been doing so well for you and sorry the Fisher coils have not.

• Like 1

I was in the midst of typing up a long response based on my forty years as a White's dealer and thirty years as a Fisher dealer and then I figured, why bother? It seems argumentative and you probably don't care anyway. Suffice it to say my perspective differs from yours on that subject. I am glad your White's coils have been doing so well for you and sorry the Fisher coils have not.

Steve,

I certainly respect your opinion and experience. And if it differs from mine then I would love to hear about it!

All I have to draw on is my own personal experience and that may seem limited as compared to yours. I threw the comparison out there for discussion not as a declaration. I am telling it like I see it from my perspective. There could be many reasons in addition to luck that could explain my trouble (or success) with either of these coils. I wish someone would jump in with some real experience and ante up.

So tell us about the coils and their reliability! Don't be bashful!

Reg, I've kept most of the bad coils, most are the foam cores disintegrating resulting in the wire flopping around and falsing. Even my potted coils fail too though, not quite sure how to figure out how to fix those. Btw - it's raining hard out here, might let Ron know, I'm packing my drywasher up.