Nugget Shooter Forums

Colorado Nugget Shooting??? Any Ideas?

rluckadoo

Good afternoon all,

Glad to be back on the nugget shooter forum after about a year's absence. I took a promotion about this time last year, with my job and packed up and made a HUGE move for me and the family from the Carolina Coast to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. It has taken me most of a year to get my family out here, to get settled personally and on my job, buy a house, and get ready to do some prospecting here in Colorado. Also, the great thing is........I am closer to Arizona and my claims in Northern CA from here as well!!!

Just wanted to say "hello" after quite an absence, (glad to be back with you guys!) and ask if any of you have any experience or ideas for nugget shooting locations here in Colorado??? All thoughts, ideas, or just a hello, will be appreciated!

Look forward to hearing from you all................

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert I dont know about Colorado but am sure looking FWD to claim jumping in CA being as we know you aren't around :4chsmu1: We will be heading back to CA in the Spring for several months.

Howdy, physicist by education (grunt by trade) who is considering going back for geophysics here.

Unfortunately the truly good nuggetshooting areas in Colorado probably only fill a few square miles, and most of it is innaccesible legally. The bits that are left are usually kept so secret by people here that you won't find them until you discover them yourself (I stumbled on them exploring, it's not too tough really).

That said there are pickers all up the Arkansas, and you might pull a couple out of the Cache Creek public area if they haven't completely shut it down by now. There is a lot of ground to explore in the Arkansas valley (the river is all claimed though btw but lots of benches and terraces) and would be my first recommendation for anyone just moving to Colorado if you want to get right on the gold.

95% of Colorado gold is very fine or flour though. There are some exceptions but they are rare and not many people will talk about them. The BLM has been on a crusade to shut down prospecting spots in CO the last few years due to overuse - we are the first stop and closest spot for basically the entire midwest and Texas so lots of visitor traffic. Actually in most the good dredging areas you will see double the plates from TX and OK than from Colorado!

Jim, GOOD gold in Northern CA....No Doubt! I have brought my share back to the Carolinas over the years. Kind of boycotting CA now that it looks as if dredging will never return. Sucks! Plus, lot easier to drive a couple hours into the CO mountains than 23 hours to the South Fork of the Salmon River.

Jason, geophysics is a great field- NC State University (1988). Practiced as a geologist for about 15 years before changing careers some years back. Still love geology as a hobby, and particularly gold prospecting. Am in a great state now for geology and hopefully for some gold too!

How about PM me with some of those "few square miles" that are inaccessible legally (general locations and not necessarily specific spots). I will work on getting some permission as I have a ton of contacts with my job out here now. I travel the entire state twice a month meeting with my agents from the plains to the Utah border and everywhere north and south in between. In Durango tonight.

Do you live in Colorado?

I live kinda everywhere in my camper. I'm in Arizona for the winter working my claims.

I haven't dredged the Animas so I'm not sure. If they are in Uncompghre field district then you should be able to dredge it with the casual use permit they have online. After the Olathe GPAA debacle where they abused their claims, the BLM is definitely tightening up restrictions though, and banning dredging in certain mineral withdrawls which they had allowed previously. Valid claims can still be dredged though. Royal Gorge district is requiring NOI's and bonds nowadays, Uncompghre district told me they are moving to the same requirements soon.

Outside the active river channel I now have to post a bond for a single pan or shovel full of gravel. Can you believe that??? That GPAA chapter needs to be disbanded, their irresponsiblity affected every private claim holder in a huge part of the state.

As you get up closer to Silverton a lot of the gold is mill run flour. And I really wonder how clean that water is with all the cyanide, arsenic, mercury, etc that was dumped into it from those mills.

Robert, I've had people offer to pay me to tell them where those few square miles are at. :D We don't discuss such things. Some parts of them are still accesible, but they are extremely rare and small. My prospecting buddy wouldn't even tell me where he was finding nuggets until I discovered it myself and he came out from behind a tree when he saw me detecting there. :200: It'd be like if the only place to detect in the entire state of Arizona was the size of the Rich Hill and nothing else...not many people would be sharing where Rich Hill was!

And with that I've already said too much on a public forum and probably risking the ire of the lurkers here who detect CO.

Edited by JasonG

Totally understand! Was more interested in a county or a district. But hey, I don't blaim you for not sharing. Colorado is a big state.....just trying to narrow the learning curve a little......

Would love to do some dredging out here, and may join a club or two this summer, once I get my dredges back from CA. I have been told that there is still a lot of gold (mostly fines) up on the hillsides in some areas, but need a system that recircs water to process.

I would love to detect some of the mine dumps here, but would have no idea of where to go, as there are sooooo many in so many different areas of the state. It is very overwhelming! Not even sure how to go about diseminating the information to even know where to start. Ever detected any dumps out here?

Hey Robert... Good seeing you back online ... Bummer about Kalifornia, but it has been for some time ... That's why I fled the area near your Salmon River claims 14 years ago ... That state truly does suck! ... Glad I got to enjoy it for 40 years before freedoms there were totally gutted... I've got mapping programs for Colorado, so let me know if you need something custom... Cheers, Unc

Ron,

Great to be back online! I missed you guys! That was a huge move from NC to CO, but we are almost settled now. Bought a 60 acre ranch in the foothills near Kiowa.

I do need some Colorado maps! I will PM you to see what you have available.

Great hearing from you! I am glad to be back on the forum.

Robert

Haha yes for sure there are a ton of mines, I love it. I could never explore them all in 100 lifetimes. Anywhere in the Colorado Mineral belt from the San Juans to Central City is good. Right now in Durango you are a good drive from some of the richest lode gold mines in the state and actually in the country too so that's a good place to start. Thats some rough steep country up there though, some of it up around 12-13,000 ft.

If I'm in CO this summer hit me up, If I'm there I'll be dredging too and I can get you pointed the right direction on some dredging ground.

post-1226-0-73794000-1384830532_thumb.jp

Edited by JasonG

Jason,

Would love to meet you on the dredging river this summer. I have two dredges a Keene 3 1/2" Hibanker Dredge Combo and a Keene 4" over/under sluice floating dredge that was new in 2009 before CA closed down dredging. Only been in the water about 60 hours.

I am a serious dredger! Love it! I enjoy detecting and nugget shooting, but am a much more experienced dredger.

Is that a pic of Red Mountain? I will be crossing that pass on my way to Grand Junction tomorrow. Then back to Denver on Wednesday.

Robert

Ron,

Tried to send you a PM but it said you "couldn't receive it".

Thanks,
Robert

Yep Red Mountain. 360 degrees around thar' be gold. :D

Compared to California you might find Colorado dredging quite a bit less profitable. But we definitely got the gold too, just a lot smaller and not quite as much! I had the 3 stage O/U too but I sold it after they closed one of my dredging areas. I have a 3" proline floater modded to be riffle-less that I primarily use now.

Was talking to the BLM about permitting a 6" on my Ark claim but they said no...grrrr.

Ron,

Tried to send you a PM but it said you "couldn't receive it".

Thanks,

Robert

I'll try to figure it out ... maybe my mailbox is full .... if I can't fix it email me at : ron@az-gold.com

Rluc try Golddredger.com as Colorado based and my bud Leonard and the colorado crowd have plenty of good info on who,what and where and many videos on lotza subjects be it construction,repair or dredging rivers there. Lotza luck in your new home as it sucks to be in kalif anymore-John

Thanks for the info John! Will check out that sight for sure.

Unfortunately, I believe all states are moving the way of California as far as dredging goes......at least the western states (including CO). I bet within 10 years you won't be able to dredge in any waterway in the west. Just a matter of time!

Thanks again for your reply.