Nugget Shooter Forums

Hoping I got lucky today!

Took the family out to a local dry lake bed where meteorites have been found before and within 5 minutes of being there my daughter stumbled across this. It does not leave a streak, I can see little specks/flakes of what looks like metal in the window I filed into it, and looking at it through a jewelers loop it appears to have a very thin fusion crust. Can someone confirm or disconfirm if it is indeed a meteorite by thiese photos? Thank you.

Meteorite1_zps6fed8bf7.jpg

Meteorite4_zpsa5f18cff.jpg

Meteorite3_zpse1a6a1ab.jpg

Edited by Chris Coffee

Chris,

That is one 'ugly' pretty rock you got there. I like its features but you did not tell us if it is magnetic. Did you pick it up from the lake with a magnet? Now, if you go on to the database and look for the other named meteorites found on that lake you may know what the other finds look like and if yours is the same or different.

Mitchel

Hi Chris.

Mitchel's reply is spot on; is it responsive to a magnet? How does it compare to other finds there?

But my gut is telling me your little angel found a meteorite!

(Guarded) Congratulations!

You know, at first, I thought it was a picture of a really shriveled prune. :-)

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

Not a Meteorite Expert (Drip Under Pressure) But with the metal flakes, What looks like a could be crust, and more important: No sharp edges or visual inclusions.

If you report Magnetic, I'm putting a $ that it is. It seems only the High Metal content critters develop Thumb Prints.

Sorry about forgetting that important information, gentleman. To answer your question :yesss:

Meteorite5_zps9925f282.jpg

And here is another smaller piece with the exact same characteristics that I found about 70 yards away from where my daughter found the 45 gram specimen. This one weighs 4.1 grams.

Meteorite6_zps7dfc1adc.jpg

Well congratulations are in order it seems to your daughter Chris.

:thumbsupanim

Thank you, Frank C. Hope all has been well with you. We are going to be making a trip out to the basin and Franconia in February. Would love the okay to stop in and say hello.

Thank you. It was found on Coyote Dry Lake.

Wow, well done! I've been there 5 times, 4 of those times with small groups of people, and we've never found a thing. Did you come in from the north side of the playa or the south?

What is the best way to preserve these finds?

Considering it sat on that playa for thousands of years there's not much you need to do. Just put it on a shelf and enjoy it.

To truly preserve it forever, get it classified and submitted to the NomCom, then it will live on in perpetuity as a published meteorite find and a sample will reside in an official repository.

Wow, well done! I've been there 5 times, 4 of those times with small groups of people, and we've never found a thing. Did you come in from the north side of the playa or the south?

We came in from the North side on Motherlode Rd., but the rock was found more to the southeast on the playa.

Where do you reside and how often do you get out this way, Mike? Maybe we can hunt some of the playas together sometime!

Just give me a call when the time comes if I am home your welcome.

Well, thank you kindly, young sir! I just sent you a PM. Look forward to seeing you again.

PS...I have $1,700 worth of Off-Road tires on my truck now so no flat tires this time... :4chsmu1:

We came in from the North side on Motherlode Rd., but the rock was found more to the southeast on the playa.

Where do you reside and how often do you get out this way, Mike? Maybe we can hunt some of the playas together sometime!

I'm on the other side of the mountains in Rancho Cucamonga, I get out that way as often as I can on the weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best way to preserve these finds?

Keep them dry is about the best thing you can do. While storing them, put a bag of desiccant in a jar and place the meteorite in the jar. You wont have much issue with these.

Jim