Nugget Shooter Forums

who owns a CT3030. What do you think your trash to coins ratio is compared to other detectors you have used? Just curious.

Rim

My trash to coin ratio is 100% trash when hunting in areas with no coins. It gets better when I am standing over coins and then tends to drop off quickly as I work away from them.

I think with any detector the trash/coin ratio depends a lot more on the number of coins in the dirt than the detector you are using. Also the type of trash.

I don't use a 3030 Rimshot and I know a comparison is what you are after. Improved trash to goodies ratio is done by finding a good spot rather than a more selective detector. The great detectors just make it faster and easier to find and clean out. Just my two cents for whatever it is worth.

Good point Bob. I guess there is no way to find out how good a detector is...hmmm. Well i got a few more days to keep my detector before I take it back for a refund. Boy i'm glad k-mart has a 90 day return. Plenty of time to check it out. I'm just discusted with the discrimination on the detector. I still feel it's a good detector. I wouldn't think east texas soil is very mineralized but maybe i'm wrong. All I see is dirt and clay mostly. The iron discrimination work good. Just don't know why chunks of aluminum fool it so much. Weird. I actually thought about exchanging it for another one thinking something was wrong with the programing on it but hate to go thru the hassle again.

Chunks of aluminum fool it? Dosent it beep on aluminum?

If you are saying some chunks of aluminum sound like coins and register on the meter as coins then that is normal. All detectors with meters will see any non ferrous target as a "coin" if the signal is similar. Detectors can't tell the difference between a copper slug, a lead weight or an aluminum washer. That meter is just a reference of signal quality and NOT an attempt at target ID.

Some detectors are a lot better at differentiating signals than others. As far as I know none can tell the difference between a penny and a fishing weight. Aluminum will be about the same story. I hate to tell you but no detector will be able to eliminate but a small percentage of non ferrous trash targets.

Even with the most articulate machine on the market you should DIG ALL TARGETS. A simple iron ID is about all you can ask the machine to reliably tell you. Non ferrous targets of the same size and shape return a very similar signal. Aluminum junk, lead, brass casings and copper wire will simply have to be dug up as trash.

Thank's Bob for helping me understand. I thought the TID numbers were what different metal ID's would be but they're not. Size and suppose shape has a lot to do with the numbers. I took 3 different aluminum objects and did an air test. The first I tested was a 1/2 inch X 2" piece of aluminum tape and it gave me a number of 60 which is above a pull tab. This is actually in the nickle range. Then I took and aluminum tube about 5/8'' dia and 7" long and it gave me a number of 80 which is in the dime range. And lastly I took the whole roll of aluminum tape and it gave me a number of 99 which is in the 50 cent range. Now I understand.

So TID numbers are a bunch of BS. lol Well in clean ground TID's are good. I've been told politely I don't need a detector with a display. Now I understand.

Actually I told you in a very assanine way. Itold you first to get an old fuel gauge from a 54 Studebaker. Then I told you to put a big happy face sticker over the meter. So I am doing my part at delivering snarky comments and ridicule.

Success is all abput finding the sweet spot. That is all about YOU whether you are talking coins or nuggets. Big meter, little meter, no meter and no discrimination. It all adds up to a bucket full of junk in a crappy location.

Go wherever people camp in tents and have sex in them. Your trash/treasure ratio will immediately and automatically have exponential improvement. If you can find a spot that you must rake the condoms into piles to get to the ground you will find coins, jewelry and pocket knives. Follow the condoms Rimshot! Follow the condoms!

Rimshot...if you were expecting a vw to drive like a caddy...there was nothing but sorrow in your md-ing future.

The 3030 is an outstanding detector with an amazing array of options...but, not at wally-world prices...

Do you need a 2000$ coin machine-NO! However, the 3030 is the apex predator in coin hunting these days...in my opinion.

Can you eliminate aluminum and find only copper and silver coins-99% yes...

Can you elinate aluminum and find only gold objects and nickels- not a chance with any detector I have ever seen or used...if you want the valuable low conductors you will dig everything. Believe me there are loads more tabs and can-slaw then gold rings and gold coins in modern parks, etc.

If you don't want to dig aluminum find pre-aluminum places to detect...

Will the Minelab 3030 eliminate iron and ring true on coins-99% yes...if you have it set-up correctly....

fred

Edited by fredmason

OK i got that Bob. Look for condoms and ye shall find. haha!

Fred if you ever come thru Texas your welcome to see what your 3030 can do. But i'll bet a cheeseburger dinner with fries and a coke this place will give it fits too. lol!

Anyone who hunts with TID numbers is going to loose. They are just a Reference not Absolute. Hell they change from machine to machine. When hunting Parks and what not I love folks that hunt by the numbers. Yep I do. They leave the gold Ear rings and finger rings most of the time. Thank You.

Too true, Homefire...the tid is just one of the 3030's tools...however, I have found the numbers very consistent on US coins of all ages...it is the tabs/aluminum that wanders all over the read-out...

I still use my ears and experience to help the machine.

The 3030 is getting good reviews in Oz as a coin-hunter...if it works there it should handle any ground anywhere...but I have not got to Oz with one...yet!

fred

Well I figured it out. I dug a test bed with brass button, z-penny, c-penny, nickle, dime, silver dime, and quarter. None were detected correctly. It wouldn't even beep consistantly when I passed the coil over any of them. Thought maybe the battery was a little weak, so installed a new one. Same results. Not sure what happened to it though. I mean it did find 3 dimes but no pennies, no nickles, no quarters, but it was darn good at finding junk....lol I'm not sure what to do. It's mostly got great reviews but I hate being a sucker the second time.

Rim, your test should be proof over your feelings...wanting it to be a good detector will never make it a good detector-GOOD is ability to preform the given task-the detector either can or cannot do the job. Take it back and do some research; there are many good to excellent coin machines available. None are as good the the ctx 3030

again, in my never, ever humble opinion...

that said skill and experience can ring all the ability out of a machine...it is never just the detector.

fred