Nugget Shooter Forums

Not every trip is a winner.

Drove out toward Blythe this weekend, looking for the famous Hauser Geode Beds. It was my first attempt at going there. Everything I've read about the place makes it seem like a guaranteed hit. I had only Mitchell's map to guide me. Everything seemed to be going well until I hit a certain mileage. Mitchell's map called for a left turn down a road. The problem? No road! No problem I thought. There's lots of evidence of digging around do I must be in the right place. I got out my tools and started the work. I chose a spot next to an existing hole. Almost right away I hit a snow white layer of ash. I thought everything was going perfectly, until I pulled out nothing but 1.5" nodules, and then my layer of ash petered out. It was only about six inches thick and disappeared completely as I expanded my hole. So, I decided to try a spot where I'd seen people digging earlier. They had left a large area of ash undisturbed and I started digging in. right away I was pulling out more than a few 1.5" nodules but still nothing of a decent size. Finally after about two hours of digging I pull out a four incher. By that time I had about a half hour of daylight left so I packed up and headed for home.

The next day I did some research online and found some GPS coordinates. I plugged them in to Google and found out I was at least a half mile off from where I needed to be. It seems Mitchell's map was a tad inaccurate too. Well, at least I know I was close, and at least now I know where the right areas are. I probably won't be able to head back for a couple months, but when I do I'll be prepared for better findings.

Hi D_Day,

Its been a few years since going there, but there are dig sites everywhere at the Hauser Geode Beds. With your new gps cords you should find it easily. But an awesome display of stones mother earth provides us. Good luck, and if you find any large ones post a pic.

Dave.

I have had some trouble with the Mitchell book and accuracy, but always seemed to find my way. The older Raymond Merriam book was very difficult to navigate. The newer books by Neil Bearce have been much more accurate regarding directions.

Hopefully next time you will do well, I`d like to see some pics too !

I found the beds pretty easy myself but didn't dig for them. Was too tired from digging at Opal Hill earlier. :old: Decided to head back to Az and never went back. I did see what some others found. Interesting looking geodes compared to those found in Missouri and Iowa.

Wouldn't the gps co-ord's help with finding the location? If you go back, I'd like to see pictures also. :useless:

There are dig sites all over in that area. Some are good and some not so good. I spent four days last year exploring that area and found some really good geodes. I even stumbled onto a spot that had agate nodules and it looked like no one had ever dug there. They were small and unimpressive but still pretty cool to find.

ANY day a mining in the great outdoors beats a day indoors working for someone else-your a winner anyhow-you got teasers and new knowledge to profit by and now you'll clean up-John :thumbsupanim

ANY day a mining in the great outdoors beats a day indoors working for someone else-your a winner anyhow-you got teasers and new knowledge to profit by and now you'll clean up-John :thumbsupanim

Yeah, even though I didn't find what I was expecting, I still had a great time. Always happy when I learn something and when I get to play in the dirt.

Well, looks like the old lady changed her mind. I'll be heading back out there Saturday morning.

Little North of the diggings, are places of an exposed ancient river bed, with smooth tumbled rocks that may produce some placer gold. Many years ago in the 1930's, there was some gold taken in that area. Good luck, and have fun, bob

Little North of the diggings, are places of an exposed ancient river bed, with smooth tumbled rocks that may produce some placer gold. Many years ago in the 1930's, there was some gold taken in that area. Good luck, and have fun, bob

Maybe I'll have to take the detector out.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I'll have to take the detector out.

You should always take a detector out while rockhounding. Just never know what you might come across whether it's an undiscovered patch, meteorites, an old foundation worth detecting.,etc. in retrospect, I know I've walked right past areas I should have detected while rockhounding but never did. Who knows what could have been in those areas.