Nugget Shooter Forums

If only copper were gold

TomH

Hey all:
Got out with dad today and it was a great time out. Tried out a new area up on Castle hot springs road. Was going to go in a certain spot and look at a old mine but the "road" turned out to be a bike trail. Was no way I was going to go tumbling down the mountain trying to get back to it. So......back up plan....hit some other washes I googled. Well,they had metal in it....lots of metal...just the wrong type! I know where to start up a copper mine if I need to. :) Sucked up 2 buckets of dirt, ran it through the trommel and got a MASSIVE...7 flakes.

Just a great day out, great weather, saw a turanchula and enjoyed the day.

Tom H.

post-25308-0-98992800-1384134344_thumb.j

post-25308-0-17689700-1384134355_thumb.j

• Like 1

Tom nice find! you know there will be gold and silver in those too.You need a ounce for a assey,They like to use a pound for the test ,but on mostly metal ore they can get by with a ounce.But even loosing a ounce ,if you don't have much is alot to use and loose.check them close under a magnifier.Good luck get some more>>>Kelly

Tom nice find! you know there will be gold and silver in those too.You need a ounce for a assey,They like to use a pound for the test ,but on mostly metal ore they can get by with a ounce.But even loosing a ounce ,if you don't have much is alot to use and loose.check them close under a magnifier.Good luck get some more>>>Kelly

Hey Kelly:

I know your the man when it come to copper and silver! :) Ive seen your finds in the other forum. Total copper is a little over 3 oz. I will look at them under the glass to see whats there. I cleaned them up with muriatic acid. They are kind of cool once there cleaned up. Just wondering how they were formed out there?

Ive gotten some small gold out of that area in the past and one silver nug. Its out there....just got to keep at it. I do admit, I got tired of digging the copper stuff and hit some other washes today.

Was a good day out!

Tom H.

Kelly:

Will a little gold scratch/acid kit tell me if there is gold in it?

I looked at them under a eyeloupe and dont see any visible specks.

Tks

Tom H.

Tom not sure that test will work but you can try it and see.A loupe don.t work as well as a magnifier,you need 30x or 40x magnification.The different elements as adam says don't mix much each one tends to stay by themselfs seperate so to speak.Check in the host rock and even on the copper for small gold area's its like electroplate,micro thin and small in places.But chalcopyrite looks really close to gold [its the best fools gold ] and you will most likely see it on copper and copper ore for sure.Some silver looks just like copper,your samples don't seem to show much green staining from copper sulphides so more silver content might be present.Alot of fun trying to figure it all out so have fun >>>KELLY