Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite/Meteor locations

Other than seeing it with your own eyes, is there a way to determine where recent metoer activity has taken place? For example; Is there a website or publication that will tell where meteors have entered into the earths atmosphere within the last 7 to 30 days?

I live in Southern California and I am fairly close to places like Franconia (approx. 170 miles) and Gold Basin (approx. 210 miles) but I also have 9 dry lake beds within 80 miles of me as well. I know dry lakes are good places to hunt simply because of the contrast of the rocks on the barren landscape, but as we all know, just because there is a dry lake doesn't mean there are meteorites on it.

Any guidance on how to research and find recent falls or strewn fields would be appreciated.

Hi, Chris. These three sites should take care of you:

Recent fireball reports: http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.jp/

Analysis of fireball trajectories and identification of hunt locations for brand new falls (pay service, well worth it): http://www.galacticanalytics.com/

Location of named meteorites and their find locations in California (search AZ and NV, too): http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=California&sfor=places&ants=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=1000&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&snew=0&pnt=Normal%20table&dr=&page=0

Happy hunting!

but as we all know, just because there is a dry lake doesn't mean there are meteorites on it.

I beg to differ. I would be willing to bet every single one still contains meteorites,even the heavily hunted ones. They just haven't been found yet... I'm talking about a minimum of one square mile and not some dried up ponds.

LOL! I would hit the dry lakes first. God doesn't much care where he chucks his rocks. I can tell you , you will find more on the East side of a Hill then the West side because we are turning West to East. They have been falling sense before the Earth was Earth and have never stopped. Yes known fields are a better bet but they are every place.

Your odds of finding one on dry lakes where ones have been found, and known strewn fields are significantly higher than cold hunting, those places Mike has givin you are what a majority of the hunters use for research.

Dave

Thank you everyone for the responses. The sites helped a lot, and I now know that meteorites have been found on a few of the lakes close to me. So I will start hunting them more diligently. Have a great weekend everyone.

LOL! I would hit the dry lakes first. God doesn't much care where he chucks his rocks.

Yep, but where God "ralphs" his rocks is more productive.... :sickbyc::vomit-smiley-011[1]::th_rain-umbrella:

Hi Mitchel, good to hear from you. I haven't been doing too much, really. I have become involved in a new hobby that I love very much....High Power Model Rocketry. Nothing like taking explosives and shoving them into the bottom of a missile and launching it 20,000 feet into the air...LOL! Still have a Gold Bug Pro and do a little detecting every now and then, but since I no longer have the 5000, I don't go out near as much.

Here is my latest rocket build. I launched this rocket, which weighed 12 pounds on the launch pad, to an altitude of 9,200 feet.

Rocket_zpsc970de6c.jpg

Chris,

Rockets looks like a good hobby.

Maybe you want to go out to Franconia next month with us on the 14th and you can learn a lot about meteorites then from a great group of people who will be there.

Mitchel